It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 352
<< 349  350  351    353  354  355 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Thanks for posting the link, I forgot,
anyway we are having a job market crash right now but you are never going to hear that news from the government itself, after all the markets are doing fine even with the bad news.

Now how that increases in unemployment is going to affect the overall economy, we may never know until taxes comes knocking our door.

Then The markets obviously has never been about the hard worker tax payer investors because they have not money to invest before and now is just but a dream of the privilege

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
They are just adapting everything to their new "far less than expected" language trickery. This applies to Dow presenting too, the real value of market is still around 6.000.

It is still possible because the jobless people haven't started to migrate yet. When they start, it will be obvious to everyone that there is far more than expected number of homeless ones. The main effort of the government will then be to disperse them so they don't form big slums, which would make things "look" far worse than anticipated.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

They already break up the large "tent cities" shortly after a local news report features it. Just look at the Cali Tent Cities.

Then they make it seem that unemployment is a *grand* thing with news reports like this: Funemployment

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Well is nice to be young and have the ability to do what they do, but now the ones that are to feel the pinch of the unemployment figures is as usual retailers, they know better than anybody else how jobless consumers affect their business.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
how many gov't jobs did the BLS say we added last month

i would believe that corporations ARE NOT hiring anyone but that they don't have to cut off as many people since they already have.......but perhaps they still are cutting aggressively and the BLS data is a sham......i don't think it is any more than usualy though

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

"I feel like I've been given a gift of time and clarity," said Aubrey Howell, 29, of Franklin, Tenn., who was laid off from her job as a tea shop manager in April. After sleeping in late and visiting family in Florida, she recently mused on Twitter: "Unemployment or funemployment?"

But this is true. Work is not as Karl Marx defined it. The work is done by the Idea, and it uses humans as fuel. "Our" work is not ours and the result of work is not at our disposal. On the contrary, this supposed alienation happens the moment we are exploited by our belief that we "must" work in order to live. That is such nonsense and it prevents us from really understanding ourselves - which is fun, and more than that.

But everybody believes that the world must be as it is, what a blast!

"You figure out how much . . . you miss when maybe you're tied to your BlackBerry all the time or, in my case, traveling for work all the time," she said. "I can't imagine doing that again and sacrificing everything I want to do for me. . . . I think it is a new way of thinking."

Having time for yourself, when you're employed, you don't have that.

Very, very bad.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by DangerDeath]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by cpdaman

Oh, I got "news" on that one,

Education and health services sector payrolls expanded by 44,000 after increasing 13,000 the prior month. Government, which in April added 92,000 jobs, mostly related to preparations for the 2010 census, cut 7,000 positions in May.

So even the government had to cut 7,000 jobs from their temporary ones in May, and to think that their "job" increases are nothing but temporary.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Commodity Futures are taking a bit hit after the job report...looks like not everyone is buying into the governments green shoots claim

Energy

---------------------------------- PRICE CHANGE %CHANGE TIME
BRENT CRUDE FUTR (USD/bbl.) 68.120 -0.590 -0.86 09:44
GAS OIL FUT (ICE) (USD/MT) 562.000 -4.750 -0.84 09:44
GASOLINE RBOB FUT (USd/gal.) 195.420 -0.790 -0.40 09:24
HEATING OIL FUTR (USd/gal.) 177.940 -0.460 -0.26 09:24
NATURAL GAS FUTR (USD/MMBtu) 3.763 -0.047 -1.23 09:24
WTI CRUDE FUTURE (USD/bbl.) 68.680 -0.130 -0.19 09:24

Agriculture

----------------------------------PRICE CHANGE %CHANGE TIME
CANOLA FUTR (WCE) (CAD/MT) 480.200 -3.500 -0.72 09:40
COCOA FUTURE - LI (GBP/MT) 1771.000 20.000 1.14 09:39
COCOA FUTURE (USD/MT) 2746.000 14.000 0.51 09:41
COFFEE 'C' FUTURE (USd/lb.) 135.700 -3.500 -2.51 09:44
CORN FUTURE (USd/bu.) 444.500 -4.000 -0.89 07:03
COTTON NO.2 FUTR (USd/lb.) 55.900 -0.980 -1.72 09:37
FCOJ-A FUTURE (USd/lb.) 91.500 -0.050 -0.05 09:43
LUMBER FUTURE ($/1,000 board ft.) 222.500 2.700 1.23 09:42
OAT FUTURE (USd/bu.) 283.000 -1.750 -0.61 08:49
ROUGH RICE (CBOT) (USD/cwt) 12.880 0.010 0.08 00:15
SOYBEAN FUTURE (USd/bu.) 1222.500 -7.500 -0.61 07:20
SOYBEAN MEAL FUTR (USD/T.) 396.300 -2.700 -0.68 07:02
SOYBEAN OIL FUTR (USd/lb.) 40.040 -0.300 -0.74 08:49
SUGAR #11 (WORLD) (USd/lb.) 15.450 0.210 1.38 09:44
WHEAT FUTURE(CBT) (USd/bu.) 630.750 -4.500 -0.71 06:59
WHEAT FUTURE(KCB) (USd/bu.) 685.500 -4.500 -0.65 06:59
WOOL FUTURE (SFE) (Kilogram) 788.000 -4.000 -0.51 06/05

Industrial Metals

--------------------------------PRICE CHANGE %CHANGE TIME
ALUMINUM FUTURE (USd/lb.) 72.250 5.000 7.43 06/04
COPPER FUTURE (USd/lb.) 225.600 -4.500 -1.96 09:24

Precious Metals

-----------------------------------PRICE CHANGE %CHANGE TIME
GOLD 100 OZ FUTR (USD/t oz.) 956.300 -26.000 -2.65 09:24
SILVER FUTURE (USD/t oz.) 15.195 -0.700 -4.40 09:24

Bloomberg,com

[edit on 5-6-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by cpdaman

Oh, I got "news" on that one,

Education and health services sector payrolls expanded by 44,000 after increasing 13,000 the prior month. Government, which in April added 92,000 jobs, mostly related to preparations for the 2010 census, cut 7,000 positions in May.

So even the government had to cut 7,000 jobs from their temporary ones in May, and to think that their "job" increases are nothing but temporary.

www.cnbc.com...

marg i gotta say that is more solid then i thought.....i figured that the gov't would have claimed to add 150,000 gov't jobs or some B.S ....but the cut in job losses is pretty decent news IMO

in related news the dollar reversed course and shot back UP thru 80 on the dollar index.............gold tanked HARD down to 958

Treasury's were TANKING this mornings sending interest rates high .....but seems like there is a battle now ....to bring these rates down.....and the high fly'n stock market may be the one to take the hit (after commodity's of course)

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Well there has been an invisible arm *attempting* pulling the TNX back. Last time we were in this situation, Equities tanked (hard). Maybe Ben is rotating things & getting the $$ out of commodities this round.

Edited to add *attempting*

[edit on 6/5/09 by redhatty]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

well if Ben has his hands in the market then one look at ETFs will tell you just were things are being manipulated and right now that's Industrials
ETFs board

FYI An exchange-traded fund (or ETF) is an investment vehicle traded on stock exchanges, much like stocks. An ETF holds assets such as stocks or bonds and trades at approximately the same price as the net asset value of its underlying assets over the course of the trading day

Only so-called authorized participants (typically, large institutional investors, Governments) actually buy or sell shares of an ETF directly from/to the fund manager, and then only in creation units, large blocks of tens of thousands of ETF shares, which are usually exchanged in-kind with baskets of the underlying securities. Authorized participants may wish to invest in the ETF shares long-term, but usually act as market makers on the open market, using their ability to exchange creation units with their underlying securities to provide liquidity of the ETF shares and help ensure that their intraday market price approximates the net asset value of the underlying assets.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by cpdaman

Now that you bring the dollar, well the world is sending a Message to the US and its trillion dollars deficits, but nobody is listening.

So this article talks about what is expected to happen very soon.

If You Are Stressed Now, Just Wait

America's trading partners do not have large enough trade surpluses to finance a federal budget deficit swollen to $2 trillion by gratuitous wars, recession, bailouts and stimulus programs. Moreover, concern over the dollar's future is causing America's foreign creditors to seek alternatives to U.S. debt in which to hold their foreign reserves.

According to a recent report in the online edition of Pravda, Russia's central bank now holds a larger proportion of its reserves in euros than in U.S. dollars. On May 18, the Financial Times reported that China and Brazil are considering bypassing the dollar and conducting their mutual trade in their own currencies. Other reports say that China has increased its gold reserves by 75 percent in recent years.

China's premier, Wen Jiabao, has publicly expressed his concern about the future of the dollar. Arrogant, hubris-filled American officials and their yes-men economists discount Chinese warnings, arguing that the Chinese have no choice but to support the dollar by purchasing Washington's red ink. Otherwise, they say, China stands to lose the value of its large dollar portfolio.

www.economyincrisis.org...

While US and the Obama administration keeps increasing he deficit to "unsustainable numbers" seems that our "trading partners" are increasing their holdings on Euros as they can not longer afford the US debt

Very interesting article.

Geithner visit to China was more to ease the fear against US deficit than anything else.

The biggest mistake that the Treasury did and cause the rest of the world to look at the US debt more closely was when Washington's financial irresponsibility brought pressure on the dollar and the U.S. bond market.

Federal Reserve Chairman Bernanke thought he could push down interest rates on Treasuries by purchasing $300 billion of them. However, the result was to cause a sharp drop in Treasury prices and a rise in interest rates.

Now he is asking for fiscal responsibility because things are not looking good.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
WOW, can any of you recall a time in the past when the Labor Secretary came out to defend the Jobless report number?

It happened today!

Statement of U.S. Labor Secretary Hilda L. Solis on May 2009 employment numbers

WASHINGTON, June 5 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- U.S. Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis issued the following statement on the May 2009 Employment Situation report released today:

"This past May, our economy lost 345,000 jobs, bringing the total number of jobs lost since this recession began to 6 million. The overall unemployment rate increased to 9.4 percent.

"Americans all across the country continue to face adversity during this economic downturn. Today's findings continue to illustrate and underscore the needs of working families. That struggle is the single-most important focus of this administration.

"We continue to move swiftly and aggressively to protect workers who have lost their jobs, to provide new training opportunities, to assist workers in upgrading their skills and to open new employment in emerging sectors such as green jobs and health information technology.

Continued at link

Well, I don't know about you, but this action confirms (for me) that the numbers ARE HINKY

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
redhatty don't use words that don't have any meaning.......
stole that from the best movie ever

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
With seasonal adjustments, the unemployment (U-6) rate-of-change is accelerating again. And that's before the impact of GM/Chrysler is really felt.

So much for "the recession is over" and "worst is past."

[edit on 5-6-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by stander

Goldman-Sachs came up with its "forecast" regarding the oil prices (up), and after a short while the same firm started to buy stocks broad-based style. Others followed and added to the piggy bank to be taken from tomorrow, first thing in the morning.

Good morning, Mr. Goldman.

How much do you wish to withdraw this morning? As usual? That's 100 Points -- correct?
Sign here, please.
Thank you Mr. Goldman. Have a nice day.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/930646acd755.jpg[/atsimg]

You can set your clock by those good-for-nothing speculators.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by theWCH
With seasonal adjustments, the unemployment (U-6) rate-of-change is accelerating again. And that's before the impact of GM/Chrysler is really felt.

So much for "the recession is over" and "worst is past."

[edit on 5-6-2009 by theWCH]

And then there are people like me. 30% pay cut but still "employed". Yay.

What are the technical criteria to define a "depression" because I am getting sick of all this "recession is over" crap. Yea, it is over. It is a depression now.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Hmmm...

A nice "Beat-Down" going on in the FX Markets...

A nice "Beat-Down" going on in Gold/Silver...

TNX headed for 40?

DJIA looks to be losing "Steam" now...2:30pm est...

What a "Boat-Load" of Carp... :shk:

[edit on 6/5/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Bloomberg was nice enough to point out the two sectors hiring where healthcare (does not generate wealth) and hospitality (hotels, food, resort type jobs, amusement parks...)

Most hospitality jobs are not considered middle class jobs.

Also, subtracting government added jobs, in april we lost nearly 700,000 corporate jobs... so it is not entirely to surprising to see the next 30 days be a little lighter.

Bloomberg was also nice enough to point out the labor dept is officially knocking people off of u3 unemployment that lost their jobs at the begining of the recession... as if your unemployed for to long "you are no longer looking for work".

Surprisingly they even showed "real" unemployment being 16.8% (which I feel we have surpassed 20% and are around 21-23%.

No gm or chrysler employee is considered unemployed at this time, as the tax payer is subsidising the corporations to pay them their full wage while on their... vacation of sorts.

America continues its collapse virtually silently.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Art Cashin:

"I think — as I said when you had Byron Wein on — you might get as much as a 10 percent overtrade here. But if we went up another 1,000 points on the Dow, I would head directly to the bomb shelter."

www.cnbc.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 349  350  351    353  354  355 >>

join