It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 323
<< 320  321  322    324  325  326 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Hey GBM!!!! You out there?

What does today's close of 8,277.40 on the DOW do to your thesis???

I am so interested in hearing

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Why US Debt Rating Poses Such a Big Worry to Investors

Even if a downgrade in US credit is not imminent, the underlying conditions that raised such fears are worrying investors about what the future holds.

The move Thursday by Standard & Poor's to cut Britain's credit outlook has raised fears that the US may be next.

While Moody keeps blabling that Americas rating is solid foreign investors do not think so.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I wonder what the Fed is getting ready for,

Fed Unconvinced Economy’s ‘Stabilization’ to Persist

Federal Reserve officials, who see possible signs of “stabilization” in the U.S. economy, signaled they’re not convinced those improvements will persist.

Policy makers, meeting April 28-29 in Washington, saw “significant downside risks” to the outlook for the economy, with the global financial system still “vulnerable to further shocks,” minutes of the session released yesterday said.

The report indicates that Fed officials may be ready to build on their plan in March to buy $300 billion of Treasuries should the economy or financial markets deteriorate further.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
pragcap.com...

These are the green shoots with graphs

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Oh My that is a complete 180 from Bernanke's speech today

U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke told law school graduates on Friday that the recession-mired U.S. economy would recover and to remain optimistic about their job prospects.

"Things usually have a way of working out," he told the graduating class of the Boston College School of Law.

"Restoring economic prosperity and maximizing economic opportunity are the central focus of our efforts at the Fed," he added.

The Fed chair told students to disregard pessimistic commentary about the future of the U.S. economy and its role in the world.

"The economy will recover -- it has too many fundamental strengths to be kept down for too long -- and the mood will brighten," he said.

Source: Reuters: "Master of fantasy" Bernanke says economy to heal

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Oh my, those charts look like rather than roots forming the seeds has not started to germinate yet.

or the roots are just dying of water starvation, if nobody is feeding the tax payer and is nobody feeding the unemployment is not going to be any grow to put on a chart.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

I think they are not communicating with the media on what should be allowed to be published to the people and what should not.

Still are rumors that because the banks bail out are not working they will have to renegotiate the so call Banks to big to fail and the fed will have to start dividing the big banks into smaller individual banks.

But the change will be with not much fuss and awareness of the people and to be completed by 2012.

Occurs this are just rumors I am picking out here and there.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Guess I was wrong about the markets setting a clear trend that everyone would understand this week.

The Dow closed below the 20 day exponential moving average but volume was light only 1.3 billion shares. Two sharp down spikes in the stock futures market today that looked kind of bearish.

Next week is a four day week for the US markets, are the other world markets still trading Monday?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

I dont know mr. hat..

we closed like 5 pts below the 20 EMA DAILY TODAY (not really a loss, but i suppose you could call it that)

But CLOSED ABOVE THE WEEKLY..

Remember what I said at the beginning of the week?

Wait till friday?..

Still bullish on the weekly chart

Ill post both here of course...

But I love your enthusiasm, as you were pretty mute last night

I actually had to work today so I havent been on at all.. but I look forward to your continued cheerful demeanor

DOW DAILY w/EMA's

Dow Weekly w EMA's

So to summarize, as of right now, i am a cautious bull, but leaning more towards the cautious side for sure...

Although I think Friday's close was all profit taking into the long weekend, and not too much should be read into it

EDIT: Still pretty sure we were positive on the week correct?

[edit on 22-5-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

It's a US holiday, the rest of the world will have to trade without us.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

YeAH, pretty much the definition of dead

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

My bad, we were 20 pts below upon further inspection of the 20 EMA DAILY and 80 PTS above the 20 WEEKLY EMA

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
So I thought we would see a move this week as I previously stated..

Looks like we are still going to consolidate into that resistance #1?

I redrew another chart with this week updated

Looks like if we keep moving sideways it could be about 2-3 weeks time?

updated with #1 resistance

[edit on 22-5-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The lowest point intraday last week on the Dow was 8230 this week it was 8221.

Looks like a double top in the daily chart if we get a breakout to the downside next week. That would be very bearish.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I wonder what the Fed is getting ready for,

Fed Unconvinced Economy’s ‘Stabilization’ to Persist

The Fed is getting ready for a long haul:

Unemployment is likely to continue over 9 percent and will continue rising into 2010 before starting to go down somewhat later that year.

www.nasdaq.com...

All these projections are based on a certain type of model, which depend on several parameters that are estimates. Put ten economists to the same task and each of them will come up with a model that could be quite different.

Note that the model calls for the unemployment to continue over 9 percent and to keep rising into 2010. But there is no word on the ceiling. Could the top figure reach 15% and then starting to go down to settle at 12% for the rest of the century?

Comparable unemployment figures were seen in early 1980, but that was due to the prime rate that was on average between 18% and 20%. By the time the prime rate was lowered to 8%, the high unemployement was gone. The feds don't have this option to ease the unemployment this time, coz the current prime rate is 3.25%. The current unemployment is not due to a high prime rate that makes it hard to borrow -- it has other causes.

What causes?

I don't know. Maybe you know. If we don't know the cause(s), then we can't devise a remedy.

Well, the long weekend is ahead, so I hope that you find not only the causes but also the remedy. We send it to Obama. But before that, we get a US patent for it and a copyright as well, so Obama wouldn't steal it.

[edit on 5/22/2009 by stander]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Fitch says Q1 bank earnings are unsustainable
www.alacrastore.com...

Wow...I am for one shocked

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Is it me or the FDIC will run out of money soon? They passed 50 billion more last time...

With this week toll... 3 banks... 5.179 billion in one week... or 11% of the whole fund in a week...
Me thinks they'll need to give another 50 billions to the FDIC soon.

And BTW, the Obama budget factored in that the Carbon Credit scam would bring in billions. As the bills it is, 80% of the carbon permits will be free... meaning income of the FED will be even less.

Hx, are you living in Michigan? Near Flint? I heard they did military exercises last week and the scenario was the auto makers going down and massive crazyness happening after... have you any info on that?

[edit on 22-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

FDIC is charging a one time fee (5%) of assets to each bank by sept. To raise funds. They can also borrow from the treasury, hypothetically.. it is still better to fee the banks of course.

The fund isn't going anywhere though.. it's kind of scary how banks are going down, also I will look into those exercises

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Friday, May 22, 2009 Mass Layoff Events Pick Up,
Faciliate EPS Beats
Posted by Tyler Durden at 1:55 PM The Bureau Of Labor Statistics' Mass Layoff Events statistic indicates that the wholesale firing by corporations
is accelerating once more again after a small respite in the January to March period.

The BLS defines a Mass Layoff Event as one that occurs when an establishment has at least 50 initial unemployment compensation claims filed against it within a five-week period and the layoff lasts longer than 30 days. In other words, as the name implies, a mass layoff (and the reason for EPS to be sterling when revenues continue collapsing in all those Q1 earnings calls).

This goes hand in hand with initial jobless claims reports. Chart of both are provided below (link to BLS data here). Kinda tough to spot the green shoots through the very deep parasitic undergrowth on these two charts.

zerohedge.blogspot.com...

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
This is a time for a quote from Jon Stewart on the markets:

"The DOW knows all, and the people know nothing. After all, isn't the DJIA just a short twitch numerical representation of a bunch of guesses about other people's assumptions of the financial well being of a group of arbitrarily chosen group of 30 companies out of tens of thousands?"-Jon Stewart

top topics

<< 320  321  322    324  325  326 >>

join