It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 312
<< 309  310  311    313  314  315 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

I say big money was the only player today, bc people were so frightened over the weekend..

Which we knew, if we were studying the charts, today should have happened technically, as it has every other time we have hit the 20 EMA... but that resistance line is what scares me

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I would have to agree with GBM on the Big Money. All around, it was an unusual market day.. I always love the "reasons" listed on Bloomberg or CNN .. "Markets rally on hopes recession eases" or some other off the wall cliche that's been the cover story for the past 3 years.

Anyways, I am having trouble finding information on India's markets.. they surged 17%+ and where closed, anyone know why?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

They voted for a more democratic govt. or something..

They got stopped by the circuit breakers

I was more impressed by the video they kept replaying of the indian guy dancing the jig in the streets with the silk handkerchief.. god bless america ahhaha

EDIT: and yes, everyday its up or down, its either time to pile into HX's well stocked bunker or swim in his pot o' gold lol

Again, as we have touched on, thats why the general public is usually clueless, look at where they get their info..

[edit on 18-5-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Ahhh that explains it, I read an article on the election but didn't put two and two together.

As per my statement above.. the Official reason the stocks climbed an astounding 235 points today:

Stocks get high on Lowe's
Dow climbs 235 points on home improvement retailer's upbeat outlook

money.cnn.com...

Lol ... that, in my opinion, is quite hilarious.

Perhaps it's my economic ignorance coming into play (
) ... But last I checked Lowe's was NOT even a DOW component lol..

Bull or Bear, you have to laugh at the media.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Yeah, that was the excuse, b/c they correlated that somehow to housing + foreclosures = more money somehow err...

HD is tomorrow... we should go up 400 pts if they beat it sounds like LOL

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

www.bloomberg.com...

Indian Stock Surge Shows Investors Anticipate More Open Economy

Pretty good info...

Keep an eye on this "flu": If it continues to spread in Asia as it's doing,it will start affecting the markets here as well I think.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

The only reason I dont is..

1. It already could have...

2. Asian people live like 2 ft away from each other, piled up 100 at a time

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

LOL! I would have to agree with you there...dodges the fabulous Lo Mein being hurled at her.
However if the WHO and other more political PTB's start getting all jittery,it will cause a chain-reaction especially if the Level 6 "pandemic" which seems to be hovering is declared it could well start sending some signals that will result in economic issues.
Doesn't take much these days.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Here's something to digest..

.VIX

Been a looooooong time since we broke 30...

Now, if this coincides with my theory about breaking #1 Resistance I have drawn....

Well, I have referred to the area I think we are going in private messages if we do break this #1 Resistance, but I will let you all make your own minds up

EDIT: for some reason that link is messed up..

Its

$VIX - for those who are interested

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
We got the bounce I expected in the Dow. Even though the volume was only 1.5 million shares that was very bullish move. Still could be some kind of topping action going on and it may be overpriced enough now that it will start to attract more short sellers.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It looks like Goldman and JPM have applied to payback bailout monies..

I wonder if we can incorportate this news, with a VIX under 30, HPQ good earnings, and good HD earnings we can break #1 resistance??

Also, slew of economic news coming out tomorrow morning... could see a bigger repeat of today...

Interested to see how this all plays out tomorrow

EDIT: my bad, HPQ is after the bell tomorrow i believe..

still some housing start info in the morning i think

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Have you considered blogging?
Just a thought...I think that you'd do well,I have a couple of friends who do it "professionally" and bring in upwards of 10K a month.
Your "style" might be an interesting add to the mix.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
It looks like Goldman and JPM have applied to payback bailout monies..

I wonder if we can incorportate this news, with a VIX under 30, HPQ good earnings, and good HD earnings we can break #1 resistance??

Also, slew of economic news coming out tomorrow morning... could see a bigger repeat of today...

Interested to see how this all plays out tomorrow

EDIT: my bad, HPQ is after the bell tomorrow i believe..

still some housing start info in the morning i think

The housing starts will be big big news as it is a forward looking piece of data.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Im actually looking to start my own hedge fund..

lol - that has nothing to do with your question, but, yeah, that is prob. something I would be good at...

too bad I have no credentials, and not that smart to boot! lol

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Im actually looking to start my own hedge fund..

lol - that has nothing to do with your question, but, yeah, that is prob. something I would be good at...

too bad I have no credentials, and not that smart to boot! lol

Just curious...have you made any money other than in this rally? I mean, it wasn't hard to make money in this rally, you could buy a used spoon and make money. The problem was figuring out when to sell (which was my problem as I sold too soon).

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

No, I have made no money at all lately, b/c I have none ( as i have stated b4)

I have made money b4.. I used to do this a lot.. but a few things got in the way..

school..

golf..

substance abuse..

losing all my money in buyx...

;p lol the list goes on and on...

and I trade by rules, as you know by following me, i only sell when it breaks what I am looking at..

as far as my automated program that i would implement into my hedge fund.. it only made 1 trade today (and it was for 225+) pts on the futures.. so it is doing well.. but i have to document it over a long period of time

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The updated inflation-adjusted "real" Dow is up. It certainly indicates that this rally will not end well.

On the other hand, for you bulls out in the world, it's not impossible that the internet/information revolution permanently shifted the "base level" of the DJIA upwards (and shortened the business cycle?) by decreasing inefficiencies throughout the entire economy, and increasing the rate at which information spreads.

I predict that we will go back down. Unless we don't.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by theWCH]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

I think there is more to that middle paragraph that you wrote... I have been saying this for a while (not on here, but in passing)

Although, the first chart on the page you linked could be telling in 2 ways..

Looks to me as housing and "fake dow" have usually (but not always) surpassed "real dow"

Ill ask another thing.. what happens when we remove some laggards from the DOW (citi..etc..) and insert others??

But for long term, I like that steady climb it shows in "real dow"..

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

No, I have made no money at all lately, b/c I have none ( as i have stated b4)

I have made money b4.. I used to do this a lot.. but a few things got in the way..

school..

golf..

substance abuse..

losing all my money in buyx...

;p lol the list goes on and on...

and I trade by rules, as you know by following me, i only sell when it breaks what I am looking at..

as far as my automated program that i would implement into my hedge fund.. it only made 1 trade today (and it was for 225+) pts on the futures.. so it is doing well.. but i have to document it over a long period of time

Hey you are young, you aren't supposed to have a lot of money to trade. Unless you inherited. It is difficult to save money, let alone trade it when you have to pay for life. What substance did you abuse? When I first traded I bought an IPO that hurt me really bad. I kept averaging down and then volume died down to the point where selling 500 shares would tank the stock 5%. What a disgusting position. But I had to learn. I also go stuck in short trades. Those did not feel good. But when you first begin trading you make those mistakes. You learn from them. What did you major in during college? If it was math or accounting you could probably get a job being an analyst.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Substance?

Well, cant talk about that..

But you could find me in many clubs..

As for school?

ADHD wouldnt let me finish that

*EDIT* have medicine for that now, and i attribute 99% of that to why I am excelling at most I do lately...

And I was recently in a golf school (accredited) but couldnt finish that either b/c my tendinitis in both of my wrists was BEYOND painful..

I just recently got my life,health,var. annuity and looking to take my series 7 soon...

And yes, I have learned some hard mistakes..although key is to learn from them.. DAY TRADING IS NOT EASY!!!!!!!!!!! and its much harder when you are sweating, wondering when to reverse a position that you know will do the opposite when you do LOL!!!

I think that answers most questions lol

top topics

<< 309  310  311    313  314  315 >>

join