It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 297
<< 294  295  296    298  299  300 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Retail Sales, one of the economic indicators that used to control the up and down traffic, is due to be released today. Based on other economic indicators, the figures to be released should continue to be dismal. We were made aware of the Californians losing dramatically their purchasing power, so the number of visits to McDonald's, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Ford dealers should decrease nation-wide.

I wonder what forces will drive today market. Would the Retail Sales indicator play any part?

I have a feeling that the Dow will lose 1.2% today.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
S&P under 900!

DJIA INDEX 8,372.00 -64.00 8,445.00 8,460.00 8,372.00 07:32
S&P 500 898.90 -7.90 907.60 911.20 898.00 07:32
NASDAQ 100 1,369.25 -15.75 1,386.75 1,389.00 1,367.75 07:32

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Well finally we get AIG back in the spot light, whole bunch of crocks and they still think that they are a private entity that doesn't own anything to the tax payer.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Remember that banks in their run for capital are dumping vast amounts of stocks and investors are buying.

But the reality of the story is that banks in the US will never be back to their full splendor again at least for the time been and those stocks will not live to the expectations.

So this nothing but gamble right now and the Markets like it, interesting.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by marg6043]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

Don't worry the second wave of the swain flu will be hitting US again once the tea parties start to get too big and dangerous.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Sadly that is the reality in this nation, the mentality that if is not hitting me I am doing fine, is better to "pretend" that is not happening that face the painful process of losing once standard of living.

Personally even I wounder what I will do if my husband loses is full time job within a few months. His retirement can only be stretch so much for a while.

reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Heck, yesterday already US investors are spreading their deceiving practices in emerging markets and to start the hedge funds in those markets.

Got to love US capitalism and how its spread its wings, even when we have seen what is happening in America right now when greed went wrong.

reply to post by Hx3_1963

Darn I can not compete with all those news you got there, you beat me this time, I will try to look into each of them before making my comments.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by marg6043]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

Hey remember is not such thing as bad news is a going to be better than expected and no as bad as expected

We the shrinking GDP we all know where this is going.

As predicted when the first bailout was released, the GDP was going to even out (or look like it was) then the US exports was to have a drastic reduction as the imports where going to get a boost.

Why? because remember that in America we live on imports so all that bail out money to help the economy will end up in China and foreign partners America tax payer will be getting nothing more than the bill for the bail to save the economy at the end, what a joke.

But that is OK, everybody think that they are getting a good deal on their tax return, I guess people didn't spend as the government would have wanted.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Yep looks like a wonderful morning in "The Pits"...

I can hear the Yellin', Moanin' and Screamin' from here

S&P down 18
DJIA down 140

Retail down

Autos down

down, down, down...

[edit on 5/13/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Wow, the Spinmasters are having fun with the retail sales report:

U.S. Retail Sales Unexpectedly Fall for Second Month

My question is, WTF is so unexpected about THAT? The US is a consumer economy, and we are laying off ppl at record rate. Unemployment is rising monthly, and they find it unexpected that retail sales would drop?

I wish I lived in the same world as these asshats.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

Well numbers are very bad right now in the opening bell, whoa
still they can not come out and straight out claim that they "know" is bad after all the fake good news and the Markets rallies in the past weeks and month has been advertised as the "economy recuperating".

Well, history will repeat itself. After all is not such thing as better than expected that was nothing but wording to make everybody feel better

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The new strategy seems to crash the markets once again so the dollar goes back up... when there are problems, most investors buy US dollars as a safe heaven... even if that's totally ridiculous... IMO the dollar will be below 50 on the index within a year and it will lose it's AAA status before november.

And the biggest joke of it all: Geithner the crook saying that the worst of the crisis is over... yeah right.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

And if you have read some of the links, China's currency won its status within the EU, so more to the dollar to compete with.

No good. I guess we need a war with China now.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by stander
And WHY would they POSSIBLY made the distinction between "last April" and "April 2008?"

Of course, it's strange to summarize the whole month in its first quarter, but "last April" is "last April," not "April a year ago," especially if the distinction was made just a few lines bellow.

Are you going to tell me what they actually meant by "last April?" It takes a bit of competency to present data with no doubt to the reader what time frame reference they apply to. Are you telling me that this is just a negligible mistake? Then I can tell you that the 50.9% decline in the sales taxes could be a another mistake.

You present data from rogue economists who equal "last April" to probably "April 2008" but never doubt that those 50.9% could be probably 35.7%.

Explain this to me: Why did the Controller Office use the term "last April" with the sales taxes data and "April 2008" with the corporate taxes if you think that you see clearly through anything?

Edit: I actually figured that out, sort of.

What actually matters is this info:

Compared to April 2008, General Fund revenue in April
2009 was down $6.3 billion (-39%). The total for the three
largest taxes was below 2008 levels by $6.3 billion

Here, the time comparison is made. This index is more representative than anything else. It doesn't compare itself with any budget projections -- it's the real deal. How to translate this figure into overall economic decline for the state . . . Maybe Rockpuck knows how.

And don't forget that in the right hand side of the report it also clearly states

This Summary Analysis covers
actual receipts and disbursements
for April 2009 and year to date for
the first 10 months of Fiscal Year
2008-09. Data are shown for total
cash receipts and disbursements,
the three largest categories of
revenues, and the two largest
categories of expenditures.
This report compares actual receipts
against historical figures from 2008

and the 17-month spending plan for
the current and following fiscal years
that was adopted in February.

So If I was reviewing this April against 2008, I would easily call it "last April"

Maybe you would call it something different

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well guys (and girls) we are getting close to breaking the support.

8232 on the DOW is the # we cannot close beneath and still keep the rally I have been talking about.

IMO if it breaks this, it goes to the 50 EMA (which is I think around 7800 or so)..

Lets hope it doesnt close below this..

I really thought we had this when we made that push on Friday.. everytime (over the past 2 months) we have hit this line I am talking about we have seen a significant push higher.. keep your fingers crossed

In a perfect world it would bounce right off 8232 and head right back to the 200 EMA

[edit on 13-5-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I don't think that the markets like the "government intrusion" that is been going on with Obama, they like the bailout but that is as far as they want the government meddling with their business.

US Considers Financial Pay Guidelines

Obama administration officials are contemplating a major overhaul of the compensation practices in the financial services industry, moving beyond banks to include more loosely regulated hedge funds and private equity firms.

Federal policymakers have been discussing ways to ensure that pay is more closely linked to performance.

Among the ideas under consideration are incorporating compensation as a “safety and soundness” concern on official bank examinations as well as expanding the existing regulatory powers of the Securities and Exchange Commission and Federal Reserve to obtain more information regarding compensation. The policymakers are also expected to publish formal guidelines regarding Wall Street pay.

Wall street is not taking this one very kindly.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Very soon you will be adding about 200,000 jobs more that are now under fire if GM and Chrysler closes doors, the fight for the dealership closures are in full gear in congress.

If nothing is done up to 200,000 jobs will be lost by the end of the year, so much for economic recovery.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

8232 on the DOW is the # we cannot close beneath and still keep the rally I have been talking about.

IMO if it breaks this, it goes to the 50 EMA (which is I think around 7800 or so)..

I really thought we had this when we made that push on Friday.. everytime (over the past 2 months) we have hit this line I am talking about we have seen a significant push higher.. keep your fingers crossed

In a perfect world it would bounce right off 8232 and head right back to the 200 EMA

Technical analysis is often a bunch of voodoo

/end of post.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
The new strategy seems to crash the markets once again so the dollar goes back up... when there are problems, most investors buy US dollars as a safe heaven... even if that's totally ridiculous... IMO the dollar will be below 50 on the index within a year and it will lose it's AAA status before november.

And the biggest joke of it all: Geithner the crook saying that the worst of the crisis is over... yeah right.

Exactly. Unfortunately there is no balance in our country. If equities go up too much, interest rates rise and dollar falls which hurts the economy and consumer even more. If equities go down too much, consumer sentiment and business sentiment is hurt and portfolios are hit. What a problem we have.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

The USA has never missed a payment, and will retain its AAA Rating as we can print any amount of money (Fed is private entity) that we need to pay holders of debt.

Whether you agree/disagree with what the current policy is, facts are facts.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

Technical analysis is often a bunch of voodoo

/end of post.

I havent been proved wrong once yet

/end of post

top topics

<< 294  295  296    298  299  300 >>

join