It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 282
<< 279  280  281    283  284  285 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Starbucks announced a higher than expected profit but sales decreased. Shares are down 1.5% AH on sales decreasing more than expected (profit increased due to closing stores and cutting other costs).

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Or in fact that there profits were down 77% due to store closures and a fall in sales - how on earth did you rad that into the results ?

www.marketwatch.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by audas
Or in fact that there profits were down 77% due to store closures and a fall in sales - how on earth did you rad that into the results ?

www.marketwatch.com...

I don't know what you are talking about. Yes their profit fell steeply from last year but it is better than expected (whatever THAT means).

Their AH totally turned around from -1.5% to closing +1.5% .

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Is very simple, Starbucks shows the same trend that I have been pointing out a couple pages back when the UPS and Another company poster their profits.

I say then that when it comes to this companies is no such thing as profits but loses.

When you take into consideration how many stores some of them has closed and how many people they have left unemployed their profits are nothing more than them trying to survive and come out even.

But as usual some will not see it as that, for some a profit is a profit is a profit no matter what.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Is very simple, Starbucks shows the same trend that I have been pointing out a couple pages back when the UPS and Another company poster their profits.

I say then that when it comes to this companies is no such thing as profits but loses.

When you take into consideration how many stores some of them has closed and how many people they have left unemployed their profits are nothing more than them trying to survive and come out even.

But as usual some will not see it as that, for some a profit is a profit is a profit no matter what.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by marg6043]

Not to mention Marg, many shareholders (the pumpers) think that these companies will eventually see their 52-week highs SOON. The fact is they will never be at the 52-week highs again for a while unless there is a lot of inflation because those companies have scaled back so drastically so that will hurt their earnings power for some time to come (and this is in every industry except places like WalMart, McDonalds and Exxon Mobil). This is to say that the consumer ever recovers to the point they were at (which is debateble considering credit will probably not run that freely for a very long time if ever again).

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

I agree, I am a good example of how I have been cutting down on my favorite coffee drink from Starbucks, I used to drink about 4 or 5 cups a week sometimes more, now I am about 1 or 2 cups a week and if inflation comes our way like is been predicted, I already am on decaffeinated coffee so it will not be any problem for me to stay out of the coffee altogether.

So I know that is a lot of people like me out there.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I agree, I am a good example of how I have been cutting down on my favorite coffee drink from Starbucks, I used to drink about 4 or 5 cups a week sometimes more, now I am about 1 or 2 cups a week and if inflation comes our way like is been predicted, I already am on decaffeinated coffee so it will not be any problem for me to stay out of the coffee altogether.

So I know that is a lot of people like me out there.

I get a venti decaf soy vanilla latte. Yum. Nowhere else do they make lattes as good as starbucks...too bad it costs 4.65 for me with the syrup and soy milk!

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

my favorites are "toffee nut latte" and "Cinnamon Dulce latte"

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
NIKKEI up 338 points on US recovery hopes...

US recovery hopes? ARE YOU FREAKING HIGH? The country is on the verge of martial law due to a hyped pandemic, closing the economy... the economy shrinked by 6.1% in the first quarter, the banks are in trouble again, Geithner is asking for 500 billions more for the banks and the Fed rate should be at -5%...carbon taxes about to be passed, taxing industries... income tax down down down...

The people is angry, tea parties, guns banning, amnesty for illegals, cities in bankruptcy, jobs going down... Mexico is likely to collapse, sending millions of mexicans in the US, Pakistan near collapse, US army intervention needed....

This is RIDICULOUS.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
NIKKEI up 338 points on US recovery hopes...

US recovery hopes? ARE YOU FREAKING HIGH? The country is on the verge of martial law due to a hyped pandemic, closing the economy... the economy shrinked by 6.1% in the first quarter, the banks are in trouble again, Geithner is asking for 500 billions more for the banks and the Fed rate should be at -5%...carbon taxes about to be passed, taxing industries... income tax down down down...

The people is angry, tea parties, guns banning, amnesty for illegals, cities in bankruptcy, jobs going down... Mexico is likely to collapse, sending millions of mexicans in the US, Pakistan near collapse, US army intervention needed....

This is RIDICULOUS.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

It is mostly up because of good Japanese production output numbers that rose 1.6% breaking the month-to-month down turn. This of course makes people think that a recovery is coming to a country near you :shrugs:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Well maybe the "underground markets are betting how long it will take for the US to collapse" and that is why the markets are doing peachy now.

After all the corruption in the markets is obvious now that we see that bad news are actually good money makers.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

LAYOFF DAILY
Wed 4-29-2009

Flint, MI votes to close 8 schools over 24 months -200
Corel Software (Canada) -80
DCI, Inc. -25
ZymoGenetics (NASDAQ:ZGEN) -161
Sycamore Networks -140
Snowline, CA Unified School District -26
City of Bremerton, WA -4
Production Engineering, Inc, -50
Western Industries -55
Sheboygan, WI Area School District -32
Youngstown, PA City Schools -31
Sylvan, CA School District -21
Sylvan, CA School District -21
Baltimore Sun guts newsroom -40
Ford Motor Co (NYSE:F) Louisville Assembly Plant -380
Sony Electronics USA -340
Washington Township Fire Department -5
Avera Marshall Regional Medical Center -18
Cessna (NYSE:TXT) -2,300
Commercial Capital, Inc. -15
Grede Foundries -40
Acushnet Co. -169
New York MTA lists 600 potetial layoff positions
Wellmont Health System -40
Charlotte County, FL -49

TOTAL - 4,840 est -

and -
109 U.S. cities have unemployment rates above 10%;

Unemployment rate for last year's high school grads not attending college at 26.7%
(this will make for a good little mandatory volunteer army...
)

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
"All nonessential services at private businesses in Mexico will also be suspended, AP reports."

So Mexico is closing partially it's economy for 5 days... starting May 1 until May 5. Total martial law. How will this affect US markets?

Update: Mexico Senate OKs bill to legalize drug possesion Here

Ain't that sweet?

[edit on 30-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Futures are looking up!!!

Freakin' nutz I tell ya...

And now Chy is down the tubes as well...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Doesn't matter that martial law will be declared within a week, destroying the whole thing.... seriously, I'm going to full preparness tomorrow morning.

Level 6 is coming withing a few days.

Guns loaded... Seriously, this looks like the real thing. If they declare martial law, i'm going north... the thing is hitting the fan. I may go north tomorrow, and listen on what's going on radio....

They did 9/11 and crashed the economy... they can do that.

The situation is like during the cuban crisis.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Don't you think that -5% interest rate will actually show as "green" in the markets?

And I believe it's lots more (less) than -5%. Money is debt, remember?

Edit: Forgot to laugh

[edit on 30-4-2009 by DangerDeath]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Serious Investor's Tip for Tomorrow: goldtent.net...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/54105a55a20e.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I am with you here, did you see Bidden the vice president on TV telling people that if it was its family he will advised no to travel in air planes, subways or buses and no schools.

He actually is advocating for a national stand still.

Tell me if this whole thing doesn't stink like 9/11 agenda.

But alas the borders are open, airplanes are coming from Mexico city and buses are loaded with border crossing people from Mexico.

Its stinks like agenda and the whole thing about raising the level is nothing but hoax.

Deviating from the possible real pandemic that was about to hit the nation, America raising up to fight the economic mess that our own government created and was making worst.

Now they are to the tamiflu, a anti viral that if the swine flu doesn't kill our children this crappy medication will, the side effects should make any parent very afraid.

I am to the believe that our own government is pushing this pandemic upon us.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
BofA Shareholders Strip Lewis of Chairman Role

But hey he still reaping record numbers salary, it most be great to be CEO still with all the government hype on the banking institution but they has done a darn thing to bring this corrupted CEOs to pay for the mess they help create.

Bank of America's shareholders voted to oust Chief Executive Kenneth Lewis as chairman of the board on Wednesday after months of mounting criticism of his stewardship of the largest U.S. bank.

The bank's board "unanimously" expressed support for Lewis to stay in the CEO post despite the fact that shareholders "narrowly" approved a proposal to require an independent chairman.

Lewis, who will remain chief executive, will be replaced in the chairman post by Walter Massey, a director of the bank's board since 1998 and also a director of McDonald's

When they can not get rid of the fat rats they just recycle them like trash.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Hmm.. "Only" 631,000 newly unemployed. Lets celebrate!

Chrysler is being cut up and sold off in pieces through bankruptcy, an Italian (failed) motor company, Fiat will take majority shares! And then we will make a new "entity" to sell the Chrysler (crap) to Americans (dumbasses) so that they won't know they are actually still buying Chryslers! (which will no longer be owned by the self absorbed billionaire, but by the Us Gov and Fiat)

*sigh*

BUT... Obama is going to give (another) speech today, so all I know is I am setting the DVR so when I wake up I can have something to smile about.. chase alll those worries away.

Wait.. I am sure there was more good news...

Oh ya, firing all those people seems to be helping, as quarter "crisis" is averted mainly due to accelerated lay offs since December.

Go America!

Alright, I'm going to bed. You have to be retarded to believe half the crap they post on the news anymore. Pretty soon Muppet type characters will be the anchors, and crayon drawings and fun songs will be the majority of the news. This way the people and can smile, sing and dance along to what the man in the box is telling them they should think.

Seriously, going to bed now.

new topics

top topics

<< 279  280  281    283  284  285 >>

join