It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 267
<< 264  265  266    268  269  270 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Unemployment Claims: Continued Claims at Record

www.calculatedriskblog.com...

Despite Optimism That a Recovery is Coming, Cost-Cutting Plans Far From Over for U.S. Companies, Hewitt Survey Reveals

www.earthtimes.org...

I love the "recovery is coming" bit... ah - yea - sometime - probably.... hopefully

[edit on 23-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath

Originally posted by marg6043
California Governor Arnold dares to tell the truth,

"It was not the car manufacturers that created the mess -- it's the government that has screwed up," said Schwarzenegger, a key speaker at the Society Automotive Engineers 2009 World Congress in Detroit.

www.freep.com...

All he needs is an amendment to the Constitution which will allow a foreigner to become president of the USA. No big deal, isn't it? Especially if he is a bigger patriot than some born Americans.

I've always found the fact that he reintroduced fluoride to our water - a very difficult pill to swallow. Not sure what kind of person does that....

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

That is one of the issues that gets my blood boiling, with all the results of Free Trade, the NAFTA and the WTO unfair practices the morons and corrupted politicians in our government still back this up.

Even Obama that during his campaign show promises of a turn around of the unfair Free trade practices has gone the same path as the corrupted recycle trash that he has appointed to his cabinet, they all nothing but Free trade and globalism hookers.

They are killing this nation and they don't care.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

The so call "recovery is coming" has been pushed by the "damage control team" when they started in March manipulating the so call "Bank profits leak".

But guess what is not working.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Oh yeah...the taxpayers loss will be minimal or they will probably gain, when this is all over...

Just like that $78B we lost in the Indymac deal

UPDATE 2-Fed data shows big losses on Bear Stearns deal
www.reuters.com...

CHICAGO, April 23 (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Reserve lifted the lid on its efforts to shore up the financial system on Thursday, and in the process, showed a $3 billion loss on the books from its deal to rescue investment bank Bear Stearns.

The Fed provided more details of the huge increase in its balance sheet that occurred over the final months of 2008, rounding out data already issued on a weekly basis. Bank officials also said more disclosure could be on the way.

Combined assets in the Fed system hit $2.25 trillion as of Dec. 31, 2008, up a sharp $1.33 trillion from a year ago.
More at Link...

U.S. law chief wants financial fraud task force
www.reuters.com...

UPDATE 1-Volcker urges bank basics, warns on backstopping
www.reuters.com...

Now pay attention students...

Jamaican army deployed ahead of tax increase
www.reuters.com...

[edit on 4/23/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

GM to Temporarily Shut 13 Plants, Cut Production

Article Tools Sponsored By
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: April 23, 2009
Filed at 6:02 p.m. ET
DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors Corp. said Thursday it will temporarily close 13 assembly plants in the U.S. and Mexico -- some for more than two months -- laying off more than 26,000 workers to pare back a bloated inventory.
workers to pare back a bloated inventory.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

The so call "recovery is coming" has been pushed by the "damage control team" when they started in March manipulating the so call "Bank profits leak".

But guess what is not working.

I know. Like I said in another thread - We should be hearing what is true - not what will help us feel better in the way of misinformation. Help people to prepare - put it all out there. The manipulation of information is so extreme - it's like reading fiction.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

You have heard the term...Optimisim Opium? That is what they are doling out right now, the media to keep the public distracted until it is too late.

That is from Gerald Celente by the way.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

You have heard the term...Optimisim Opium? That is what they are doling out right now, the media to keep the public distracted until it is too late.

That is from Gerald Celente by the way.

Ah - I hadn't heard that expression. Accurate for sure.
Really good things can come out of the truth.
But there has to be people willing to tell it first.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

LAYOFF DAILY
Thur 4-23-2009

Arena Pharmaceuticals -130
Mark Andy Inc. -58
GM to Temporarily Shut 13 Plants for two months -26,000
Association of Fundraising Professionals -6
Alcoa Davenport Works -275
Freescale Semiconductor -69
City of Wilmington, DE -75
Eaton Corp. -66
GM Marketing Staff -45
Arizona school employees and teachers -5,500
Accent Marketing Services -163
Issaquah School Board -158
California Pacific Medical -200
University of Central FL -520
Agilent -300
Hampshire Group -15
Seattle Schools -70
City of Mansfield Police -18
Capital One -60

TOTAL - 33,735 +

and we still have a couple of hours to go.
I added the 26,000 - not to sensationalize - but because - for at least 2 months
there will be this many more people out of work - and collecting benefits.
Let's hope for new and better technology -
that these folks can go back to work doing.

and...
Continued Unemployment claims at a record 640K, up 27K from last week Department of Labor: 300K jobs lost in March from mass layoffs
Survey: 25% of Large U.S. Companies Considering additional layoffs

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Gerald Celente is one of the few telling it like it is... and he uses that term "optimisim opium" to describe the hype the media and the fed keep feeding the people. Some people are not wanting to see the bad news!
Here is his most recent appearance, a video set from 04/20/2009.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Anytime you would like to debate my theory on the 20,50,200 EMA Daily that I have stated previously I am up to it.

IMHO elliot wave has a lot of "user opinions", but I am open to it.

I have never said we wont see +/- 10% from here, and I do agree we are in some sort of a wedge pattern here, but look at the historical data I have already presented, which cannot be debated, and the sentiment of the market lately, I like the way we are headed.

Again, no one has challenged what I have presented formerly, and I think that holds up much better than an elliot wave interpretation.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
UPS hasn't seen anything yet. When Congress pasess the internet purchases sales tax, there won't be any incentive for customers to continue using mail order. UPS and FEDX will merge to make FEDUP.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
it seems to me too many "traders" become biased especially if they hold mostly long or mostly short positions combined with the possbililty that they may WANT to recoup their 401k losses

what the heck leads anyone to believe that earnings in the 2'nd 3'rd or 4'th quarter is going to be any better........

home prices are falling fast

Banks aren't lendng and with unemployment rising this will not change soon.......if there is a "recovery" it will be a JOBLESS one....due to pure govt' spending.........what does this do for earnings

those that wish their 401k's will pop back stop letting that bias your judgement .....the freakn IMF spelled out that deep recession led by credit crisis's have very slow recovery's.........and that deep recessions led by global credit crisis will have exceptionally slow recovery's read between the lines.......we are not at the BM lows for this multi year bear....especially until the first few lines above sink in for those that are currently LONG

[edit on 23-4-2009 by cpdaman]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

GM to Temporarily Shut 13 Plants, Cut Production

Article Tools Sponsored By
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: April 23, 2009
Filed at 6:02 p.m. ET
DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors Corp. said Thursday it will temporarily close 13 assembly plants in the U.S. and Mexico -- some for more than two months -- laying off more than 26,000 workers to pare back a bloated inventory.
workers to pare back a bloated inventory.

www.nytimes.com...

Those 26,000 workers will receive FULL PAY AND BENEFITS while on their little vacation from work.

The states will foot the majority of their wages, while GM will cover a portion.
Please, lets not feel sorry for Union Dogs.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Coumo calling out Paulson, Bernanke and Lewis was the really big news of the day folks & you just ignored it. It was posted yet not a peep of discussion.

Paulson admitted to Coumo that he threatened to oust Lewis and the Bank of America board if Bank of America invoked a Material Adverse Change (MAC) clause to block the Merrill Lynch deal, Cuomo says. Paulson also added, however, that he made this threat at the request of Bernanke.

This completely contradicts Bernanke, who earlier denied (through a Fed spokesman) that he did not threaten Lewis.

Here's an excerpt of Andrew Cuomo's letter to Congress:

In an interview with this Office, Secretary Paulson largely corroborated Lewis's account. On the issue of terminating management and the Board, Secretary Paulson indicated that he told Lewis that if Bank of America were to back out of the Merrill Lynch deal, the government either could or would remove the Board and management. Secretary Paulson told Lewis a series of concerns, including that Bank of America's invocation of the MAC would create systemic risk and that Bank of America did not have a legal basis to invoke the MAC (though Secretary Paulson's basis for the opinion was entirely based on what he was told by Federal Reserve officials).

Secretary Paulson's threat swayed Lewis. According to Secretary Paulson, after he stated that the management and the Board could be removed, Lewis replied, "that makes it simple. Let's deescalate." Lewis admits that Secretary Paulson's threat changed his mind about invoking that MAC clause and terminating the deal.

Secretary Paulson has informed us that he made the threat at the request of Chairman Bernanke. After the threat, the conversation between Secretary Paulson and Lewis turned to receiving additional government assistance in light of the staggering Merrill Lynch losses.

Source

When this hit the MSM, you know Paulson just had to catch the aroma of his flesh charring and fear an indictment. But very shortly after this hit the MSM, Paulson recants:

Hank Paulson has recanted on what he told Andrew Cuomo, which was that Ben Bernanke asked him to threaten to oust Ken Lewis and the Bank of America board if Lewis decided not to go forward with the Merrill deal.

Paulson says his words were his own and that Bernanke did not ask him to convey a specific message to Lewis, CNBC says.

Source

AG Coumo has managed to rattle a few cages (and nerves, apparently) and get some truth out. So now the pigmen are turning on each other.

Folks this is gonna get interesting and even more interesting to see just how far up the chain of commands that this illegal activity goes.

The Ticker Guy calls out Bernanke on even more lies

KUDOs to Coumo for pealing back the layers to see into the original "Bailout" and the TARP uses, I hope he stays safe and continues this MUCH NEEDED work.

Maybe when the full realization of how we were lied to, how the White House was manipulated and how the FED & Treasury have and continue to rape us out of our wealth and prosperity comes to light, the Average Joe-Six-Pack (J6P) will wake up and be PISSED OFF.

Because it sure is over due

[edit on 4/23/09 by redhatty]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Yeah, it was pretty interesting.

Markets totally shrugged this off too. My guess is..

1. They (insiders, big players) already knew.

2. Feel it wont affect the market in anyway and all bad news has already been priced in (which semi relates to #1)

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
goof find redhatty i caught that Paulson two step earlier i wonder who gives bernanke his marching orders......

Benjamin Bernanke thou is not public enemy number one IMO Lawrence summers takes the cake there ....but there is probably and endless lines of shills in the system

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Markets shrugged it off?

Oh you must be referring to the bank stocks and financial ETFs.

As I have said repeatedly, there is NOTHING in the banks stock, and hence financial ETFs, that is real anymore, their quarterly reports are full of manipulated numbers and everything you hear is lies.

The banks and financials are only focused on taking away more of America's wealth, and they are getting the full support of this Administration, with the latest report of the warrants in lieu of TARP or in addition to TARP repayment.

The Banks and financials are going to play their game until they are literally FORCED to stop.

But it's all good, right, as long as you can make a few $$s from the raping of America, right? What do you care? It's not like you love this country and the rule of law or anything, right?

Because as much as you cheerlead for FAS & Citi & BoA, you must not care what feeding the Beast is doing to your country, otherwise you, like the real patriots in this country, would be staying far, far away from those stocks and ETFs, no matter what $$ could be made from them.

There are other places in the market to make money.

BTW, as far as Bankruptcies and company buy-outs....

Who buys out the little mom & pop shops, you know the restaurants, the dry cleaners, the auto mechanic around the corner, etc.?

You really are either naive or wearing rose-colored glasses

Or you simply drink WAY too much Koolaid

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Yes, again another kool-aid comment, PLUS rose colored glasses...

I suppose then to be a real american you should purchase FAZ and SKF?

Please, I agree with a lot of what you say, but sometimes you act like the kid that drank too much sugar yourself.

EDIT:

If I am understanding what you are stating correctly, if you are investing in these stocks you are anti-american somehow?

You should alert all with a 401(k), IRA's, V. Annuities etc. to quit being so "un-american" and convert all your holdings into other sectors of the economy.

That should go over well, good thought out plan.

Hope you are good with a fishing rod and gum

[edit on 23-4-2009 by GreenBicMan]

[edit on 23-4-2009 by GreenBicMan]

new topics

top topics

<< 264  265  266    268  269  270 >>

join