It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 258
<< 255  256  257    259  260  261 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Is the US heading the same path of Latin America when they could not support any longer their debt obligations?

How much will the US will own to the point that no longer can repay its obligations.

How long can the printing presses of the treasury can work on the promise of China and other nations buying out our debt.

In April 2009 the outstanding national debt is over $11.2 trillion, and the balance of traded deficits for the last four years have been $711 billion (2005), $753 billion (2006), $700 billion (2007), and $681 billion (2008) larger than at any point in U.S. history. Coupled with these debts is the fact that the United States has lost well over 16,600 companies since 1978, and continues to shed them at a regular pace.

We depend completely on countries like China to keep borrowing.

Latin America’s demise began after the Bretton Woods conference of July 1944. A group of economists, led by Raul Prebisch, decided to enact a plan of import-substitution industrialization (ISI). ISI was a plan to favor imports over exports to subsidize a weak and uncompetitive industrial sector, leading to competition with and emulation of the rapid growth and industrialization of the East Asian Tigers – Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore.

This exactly what has been happening in the US for the last 15 years.

We consume more that we produce.

In 1979, Mexico’s foreign debt totaled $28.8 billion while Brazil’s debt was $35 billion – and by 1982 – Mexico defaulted on its U.S. loans, declaring they could not repay them. All banks refused to continue lending to the entire region, sending it into one of the worst debt crises ever witnessed. By 1995 Mexico’s foreign debt soared to $165.7 billion and Brazil’s hit $159.1 billion. Brazil and Argentina experienced hyperinflation – rates of more than 2,000 percent – in the ‘90s and 2000s as their governments scrambled to print money.

How these latin American governments try to fix the problem? printing money.

Exactly what is happening in the US today.

It was the US the one that through debt keep this countries going, now is the US the one that is been kept alive while printing money and borrowing money

Foreign nations will eventually lose their desire to continue purchasing U.S. treasury in support of our massive foreign debt. We currently owe Japan $557.1 billion and China $681.9 billion.

Eventually taxes will be raised and people in the nation will be overwhelmed by more debt that we have right now.

Is this the path of the US, time will only tell.

www.economyincrisis.org...

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Karl Denninger calls out the Treasury for the Blatant LIE they have just told regarding not having the results of the stress test.

Treasury: Caught Lying Again

His Ticker specifically points to the April 10th news report of the FED ordering the Treasury to "stay MUM" about the results.

How can you stay mum about something you don't have yet?

Whether or not Hal Turner received a copy of the "REAL" stress test results or not, the market knows they are being lied to & they are reacting to that FACT.

All 30 components of the DOW are down.

[edit on 4/20/09 by redhatty]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

And is going to get worst this week unless the big mouths, Bernanke, Geithner and Obama come out with more hopes.

I wonder what is next in the magic hats.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

www.idahostatesman.com...

Idaho's jobless fund is going broke A law designed to ease unemployment

taxes backfired on the very businesses it was meant to help.

These days Roger Madsen, Idaho Department of Labor director, regrets not being more aggressive in ensuring that Idaho's fund for paying benefits to jobless workers could withstand a long recession's onslaught. But in 2004, Idaho was booming. National magazines were heralding the state's business environment. Idaho was in the midst of a tech, rec and building boom that some said made us resistant to recession.
------------------------------
www.google.com...

GM exec says 1,600 will lose jobs in next few days

By TOM KRISHER – 5 hours ago

DETROIT (AP) — About 1,600 workers at General Motors Corp. will lose their jobs in the next few days as the troubled automaker accelerates cost cuts in order to qualify for more government aid.

GM North America President Troy Clarke said in an e-mail to employees sent Monday that the layoffs are needed to ensure the company's long-term viability.

"In these unprecedented times, GM is reinventing every aspect of our business, including our organizational size and structure, to create a lean and agile company," Clarke wrote in the e-mail obtained by The Associated Press.

Clarke said the next week will be "a very trying time for the entire GM team, but especially for those employees directly impacted by these actions."

[edit on 20-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I am finding the this latest onslaught of banking news and stress test deluge to be rather telling. First of all if the tests had come out as they say they have it would have been on the evening news the first day they had completed them.
Second, the markets would have had a huge rebound the very next day.

Now so far as any can see there has been a VERY confusing onslaught of stories since the Fed decided to keep the results to themselves. (All of the sudden till further notice.)
Put the gag order on everyone at the banks.
Brought out that it was to be released by the mid/end of April then again up to May 4th.
The reasons being that if a bank chose to stay mum on the report it might be taken as a sign of failure etc. They sighted the need to release the information in a “timely” manner so as not to “hurt” anyone in the process.
But why need a timely manner if there is no “problems” with all of these “19" banks. (There is over 8,500 banks in the USA! But we where already told by the banking heads them selves that there was actually no way to fail the test etc etc.)
Now for many watching the back and forth of this news and reports leaking etc it is painfully obvious they are either trying to hold off the inevitable or they are cooking the numbers in an effort to stem off total collapse in one day/week.
There by setting themselves into a position to be able to handle the mass hysteria that we have seen in the past with crashes of this nature. Not to mention the fact that many companies would start a lay off and pay freeze the likes of we haven’t seen in decades.

This first part alone is only in the field of banking, it hasn’t included the credit card default rate that is going through the roof, nor has it included the retail real estate down fall. What “if” the first set of tests did indeed include all the aspects of the banking problems and they are going through and removing the credit card and retail real estate problems? That alone would make sense as to why they are running everyone around in circles and turning out excuses hand over fist.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
All I've got to say is when this news breaks with the media....

We're Screwed

Get ready. What we've been talking about happening, is.
Don't fall for the media bull either. They will try to make this seem less of what it really is.

We're not stupid and shouldnt be treated as such.

[edit on 4/20/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by xoxo stacie
This first part alone is only in the field of banking, it hasn’t included the credit card default rate that is going through the roof, nor has it included the retail real estate down fall.

Exactly!!!!!!! the next bubble that is been kept quiet about is the credit card one.!!!!!!!

But hey they are working on it, I guess is so bad that it needed close and personal attention by the president itself.

But hey they are just working to save the American people, right?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

But the "credit card" bubble still falls right back to the banks that issue the cards. It is - at least after today - priced in already.

Screw the bubbles, folks. The .GOV said they would convert TARP payments into common shares for these banks, we see how good that is gonna do us. And there is talk of MORE $$ going into these black holes.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my backside hurts enough & I don't want to be raped by my .GOV anymore.

Why these banks were not put directly into receivership, We The People will never know, but you can BET on the fact that bigwigs at these banks have dirt on every politician that graces the halls of the Capitol.

Why Gramm-Leach-Bliley has not been repealed and Glass-Steagall re-enacted is beyond my comprehension. You would *think* that 50 years of economic stability PROVES, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that Glass-Steagall was GOOD LEGISLATION.

But heh, what do I know?

I sure do hope that no one in or reading this thread was actually buying financials over the past couple weeks, you just got your face ripped off today if you did, and you cannot say you were not warned

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I love how one hour on Fox they are like "BoA Posts record profits!" then the next hour it is "BoA loan troubles!"

GAH! I want this to be over already!

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Amen to that, see this fat rats run Washington they have every single politicians in their pockets and corruption runs rampant.

That is why is not hope for the American people, the consumer and tax payer until this fat rats are run out Washington along with all the politicians.

This nation will need to start all over politically and still you know how it goes power always corrupt.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

It will never be over, until the last American tax payer and hard worker is drain out of blood.

We are letting them do this to us with our free will.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Is it me or the layoffs are really taking a break? If you add April 18-19-20, it's not even 10.000 jobs lost... when we had 10.000 jobs lost almost everyday before that...

The depression is over!

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

It will never be over, until the last American tax payer and hard worker is drain out of blood.

You are grossly underestimating the ingenuity and resourcefulness of American taxpayers -- those who earn income. If sales figures are decreasing, a corporate profit is affected accordingly, right?

Wrong.

IBM profit rises, but sales slip 11%

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- International Business Machines posted a first-quarter profit Monday that rose more than expected from year-ago results, even as sales slipped substantially.

See?
Do as IBM does and you will prosper and prosper amids all the blood draining. Just don't let Dracula in for a happy hour. Here is the IBM-designed abracadabra to keep Dracula away from your house:

my bank account is always large
and that's because my name is Marge

Just get that garlic off you door and try something different. It works for IBM.

~ fettucini! ~

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Is it me or the layoffs are really taking a break? If you add April 18-19-20, it's not even 10.000 jobs lost... when we had 10.000 jobs lost almost everyday before that...

The depression is over!

The depression has just begun - hasn't it?
Unless of course they are able to immediately
put all of those people who are already out of work -back to work.
Chances are the majority of these folks -
have been living in this society like many of us...
living paycheck to paycheck -
Let's see what happens.
I think we will see some large companies continuing to layoff.

dunner99.blogspot.com...

The March US regional and state unemployment figures were released on April 17th. The figures, overall, continue to worsen, although there was some slight signs of improvement in several states. One state, North Dakota, and the District of Columbia had declining unemployment rates, while three states recorded no change in the past month. On the other hand, Indiana has joined the ranks of states with double-digit unemployment rates, which now total eight. Here are some of the highlights:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

The depression is over!

Sarcasm aside (
), this is historically a good jobs month. I expect the raw numbers to look "good" for the month, but this is one of those months where seasonal adjustments become very important.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Let's see if this comes through well

Sums it up nicely, doesn't it

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

LAYOFF DAILY
Mon 4-20-2009

Brown-Forman -250
Bosch in South Carolina -225
Indiana Historical Society -7
Legg Mason -40
DSM Chemicals -80
MassMutual -65
GM -1,600
San Fran Newspaper Drivers -90
iLevel -66
Tele Atlas -140
Dassault Falcon -25
Hinkley Yachts -26

TOTAL - 2,614 est

Ah - low numbers indeed.
It's a nice change -
Stay tuned.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Yes indeedy I thought the same thing when I read this: Banks Ordered Quite on Stress Test

That really caught my attention, and I did a fair amount of researching on it. Control Control Control...untill they are "ready" for the results.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Brazil and Argentina experienced hyperinflation – rates of more than 2,000 percent – in the ‘90s and 2000s as their governments scrambled to print money.

Well if you put the 12.8 trillions given into the system, it would put the money supply to 14X what it is now... or if the world dump the dollar... which makes... I don't know, but probably at least twice that... US inflation could break the 2 000% in the first month.

And the 30 billions more for AIG. Here

And probably amnesty for illegal aliens, which will be able to bring many family members each... Here

And Russia-NATO tensions increasing.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
*Fair Value*
Dow Mini +10.27
S&P +3.11
NDQ +6.03

Hang Seng 15,065.59 9:51PM ET Down 685.32 (4.35%)
Nikkei 225 8,625.95 9:46PM ET Down 298.80 (3.35%)
Straits Times 1,817.49 10:06PM ET Down 57.36 (3.06%)

Gold $886.20

new topics

top topics

<< 255  256  257    259  260  261 >>

join