It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 254
<< 251  252  253    255  256  257 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Very nice articles...

The "brothers of destruction" have learned well over the years...

...of course when you run the Fed how can you not win...

This is the biggest scam in the 2K+ Yrs of the money masters...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
Obama says he'll cut dozens of wasteful programs
www.reuters.com...

If the LEAP2020 reports are accurate, it's too little too late, because we're going to begin defaulting on debt this summer and our tax revenues have made a historic plunge. For those who haven't seen it, the Summer 2009 report is out: The International Monetary System's Breakdown is Underway.

Remember though, folks, we do have a wildcard emerging, in Cold Fusion. I'm not holding my breath on it, but if this grows legs, we're looking at a new revolution. The value of palladium would skyrocket and Dow 14,000 (and much higher) will be seen again. 60 Minutes will be reporting on Cold Fusion April 19 (tomorrow).

Here's a short short video preview and here's a description of the broadcast.

The consortium’s experiments, funded in part by DARPA, produced 10 percent to 300 percent more energy than they consumed in 12 of 23 experiments. Their work was published last year in the peer-reviewed American Chemical Society "Low-Energy Nuclear Reactions Sourcebook," by Oxford University Press.

CBS asked Robert Duncan, vice chancellor for research at the University of Missouri and an expert in low-temperature physics, to look into the LENR research. Duncan was referred to CBS by Allen Goldman, the head of the condensed matter physics group at the American Physical Society.

*snip*

I had not studied ‘cold fusion’ before, so I had no idea that these excess-heat results were real," Duncan said. "I had heard the controversy back in 1989, and from that, I was suspect of the entire field. "Sam Hornblower of CBS asked me to read some papers and talk to some of the scientists, and it quickly became clear to me that it was a very interesting result. After I saw some of the hardware, I had a chance to ask about the experimental configurations and dig in deeper, and now I am convinced that this excess-heat effect is real."

DARPA and two different Naval labs have been researching this, so we know that certain sectors of the military-industrial complex are taking this very seriously. This looks promising, but I'll believe it when I'm hooking a Cold Fusion reactor up to my home.

Incidentally, a breakthrough in Cold Fusion or some other "alternative-alternative" energy source would bring another of Gerald Celente's predictions to fruition.

So, if you can, watch 60 Minutes tomorrow and I'll continue to keep everybody posted on any promising, potentially market-changing news coming out of the alternative energy world.

[edit on 18-4-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

Star 4 U!

Good stuff...wish we had the whole GEAB report...

It does appear that their "forecast" will come to pass, one way or the other...

The Fusion Power angle "looks" interesting...we'll see aye?

Nice Avatar...bursting bubbles

Britain has become brittle society, says think tank
www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I thought that avatar seemed pretty fitting. Even if we avoid meltdown, I can still use it, since we seem to have dropped capitalism in favor of a bubble economy.

Are there any think tanks or trend forecasters that aren't feeding us Global Meltdown material? It seems like ATS has become the home of the mainstream view.

Yeah, I'd love to get my hands on the whole GEAB report, but $200 Euros for a subscription is a bit too steep for me.

They do have free weekly press reviews. I just signed up, but I'm thinking everything will already be covered in the "2009 Depression Validated" thread. You guys do a pretty thorough job...maybe we can sell subscriptions to it and use the income to get the GEAB subscription!

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

A subscription would be nice... $$$

Kohn says Fed can prevent inflation surge
www.reuters.com...

Volcker says economy recovery a "long slog"
www.reuters.com...

NASHVILLE, Tenn (Reuters) - Paul Volcker, senior economic adviser to President Barack Obama, said on Saturday that the U.S. economic recovery will be a "long slog" but that the rate of decline "is going to slow."

The United States may not be in a Great Depression but it is "in a great recession for sure," following the economy's unprecedented tumble in late 2008, Volcker said at a financial markets conference at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee.

Volcker, a former chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve, did not give a time-frame on his expectations for when the United States will pull out of the recession that started in December 2007.
More at Links...

Extreme uncertainty in world economic outlook: OECD
www.reuters.com...

BERLIN, April 18 (Reuters) - The world economy remains in a state of "extreme uncertainty" despite some signs of improvement in isolated economic indicators, OECD Vice Director General Pier Carlo Padoan told Reuters on Saturday.

The 30-nation Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) has been one of the most pessimistic multilateral observers of the current global recession.

In March, the Paris-based group predicted member economies would contract by 4.3 percent this year with the recession continuing into 2010 -- a much more negative forecast than figures from the World Bank around the same time.

Yeah...another depressing "Think Tank"...

[edit on 4/18/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
USA Today reports that economic survivalists take root here in Michigan. Fun little article.

Patrick Wojtowicz's family decided to transform their lives when his paycheck began to shrink last year. A truck driver, he was spending more time on the road, paying his own expenses while waiting for loads. He disliked being away from home for weeks at a time and worried about losing his job. Melissa Wojtowicz is self-employed and works from home.

Their dual paychecks allowed them to live comfortably, but they weren't satisfied, Patrick says. "We would basically buy stuff to feel good," he says. "When that stuff stopped filling the voids we had, we started analyzing what it was that we were really missing. We were missing being around each other."

The Wojtowiczes made a list of the things they could give up if Patrick quit his job and they relied on Melissa's income. They already lived in a house on property Patrick inherited from his father a few years ago.

Now they raise pigs and cows for food, on their 40 acre property. Doesn't seem like people make these sorts of changes during a normal recession.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

I've noticed a "trend" leaning toward this lately also...

The Great Recession or The Minor Depression???

...But Michigan is a good place to get back to the land/nature...

12.6% (higher really) UE here as you know well...

Wish I had some setup like that...

The Great Recession: America Becomes Thrift Nation
www.time.com...

Sometimes we change because we want to: lose weight, go vegan, find God, get sober. But sometimes we change because we have no choice, and since this violates our manifest destiny to do as we please, it may take a while before we notice that those are often the changes we need to make most. We ran a good long road test of the premise that more is better: we built houses that could hold all our stuff but were too big to heat; we bought cars that could ferry a soccer team but were too big to park; we thought we were embracing the simple life by squeezing in a yoga class between working and shopping and took an extra job to pay for it all.

Now we're stripping down and starting over. A platoon of TIME reporters and pollsters fanned out to every corner of the country to measure — anecdotally and empirically — what's changed in the way we set our priorities and spend our money since the Great Recession began. Most people think the pain will be lasting and the effects permanent: only 12% expect economic recovery to begin within six months, half believe it will be another year or two, and 14% believe we are at the start of a long-term decline.
More at Link...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I'd love a setup like that. All I've got is some ramen stockpiled, and a plan out of town, in case a a crime wave goes through (which is looking like a possibility in recent weeks).

I think that we can safely say that Michigan is in it's own little Great Depression, even if the rest of the country doesn't have to go through that (yet). Maybe that's why we're the only two on here, at 1:00 on a Saturday.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

Star 4 U!!!

Funny...but true...

I got most of my BOB packed up and seeds stocked, but, still need a little more prep...

Are the good times really over?
rodrik.typepad.com...

More bad news on the recovery
rodrik.typepad.com...

The IMF's partially-released World Economic Outlook makes two points which significantly alter my priors with respect to the speed and vigor of the recovery in the advanced nations--for the worse.

First, the IMF authors find that recessions created by the bursting of financial bubbles are different--they are more severe and last longer--from recessions that are produced by other causes (for example, supply shocks). The likely reason is that pre-crisis growth in the former case is based on an illusion of rising wealth and is more artificial.

Second, synchronized crises (in which several major economies are simultaneously hit) are also more difficult to get out of. You cannot rely on other economies to pull you out of it through their demand for your exports.
More links at Link...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I've got a small BOB, enough to get me 10 miles by foot to the train station (probably wouldn't need it) and keep me going for a couple of days if I needed to. My biggest short-term concern is looking out my window and having the realisation that gangs have taken over my neighborhood.

In the comments section of that blog, somebody posted a link to this paper: The Aftermath of the Financial Crisis

Broadly speaking, financial crises are protracted affairs. More often than not, the aftermath of severe financial crises share three characteristics. First, asset market collapses are deep and prolonged. Real housing price declines average 35 percent stretched out over six years, while equity price collapses average 55 percent over a downturn of about three and a half years. Second, the aftermath of banking crises is associated with profound declines in output and employment. The unemployment rate rises an average of 7 percentage points over the down phase of the cycle, which lasts on average over four years. Output falls (from peak to trough) an average of over 9 percent, although the duration of the downturn, averaging roughly two years, is considerably shorter than for unemployment. Third, the real value of government debt tends to explode, rising an average of 86 percent in the major post–World War II episodes. Interestingly, the main cause of debt explosions is not the widely cited costs of bailing out and recapitalizing the banking system. Admittedly, bailout costs are difficult to measure, and there is considerable divergence among estimates from competing studies. But even upper-bound estimates pale next to actual measured rises in public debt. In fact, the big drivers of debt increases are the inevitable collapse in tax revenues that governments suffer in the wake of deep and prolonged output contractions, as well as often ambitious countercyclical fiscal policies aimed at mitigating the downturn.

Great...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Sad ain't it...afraid to even look out the window for fear of getting shot...

I got a good idea where I'll bug-out to...not a easy trek but should be a good spot for a few...

U.S. Regulators Clash on How to Release Banks' Stress Tests Without Damage
www.bloomberg.com...

April 18 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Treasury and financial regulators are clashing with each other over how to disclose results from the stress tests of 19 U.S. banks, with some officials concerned at potential damage to weaker institutions.

With a May 4 deadline approaching, there is no set plan for how much information to release, how to categorize the results or who should make the announcements, people familiar with the matter said. While the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and other regulators want few details about the assessments to be publicized, the Treasury is pushing for broader disclosure.

The disarray highlights what threatens to be a lose-lose situation for Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner: If all the banks pass, the tests’ credibility will be questioned, and if some banks get failing grades and are forced to accept more government capital and oversight, they may be punished by investors and customers.
More at Links...

Fed's Kohn Says Emergency Lending Isn't Creating Risk for U.S. Taxpayers
www.bloomberg.com...

April 18 (Bloomberg) -- Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Donald Kohn said that while the central bank’s emergency lending programs aren’t creating a significant risk for U.S. taxpayers, they may be channeling credit to some lenders more than others.

“We are not trying to favor some sectors over others,” Kohn said in a speech today in Nashville. Still, “we have recognized that the resulting effects can be uneven” across credit markets and “this outcome is not a comfortable one for the central bank.”

Fed policy makers are taking unprecedented steps to revive the economy, including direct support of consumer finance and mortgage lending. The Fed plans to buy as much as $1.25 trillion in agency mortgage-backed securities this year to support the housing market, and is providing financing for securities backed by loans to consumers and small businesses.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The good thing is, I live a block away from the train tracks (ever heard that described as a good thing?
) so if I need to I can just run a block, jump a couple fences, and try out the old "throw your bag on and JUMP" trick that they always use in the movies.

Mish thinks that the Stress Tests are a fraud.

Details of the stress test (if any) will be spoon fed to the public, and negative results will be suppressed. Moreover, the results were predetermined and the so-called pessimistic scenario used for the test was a joke: "unemployment rate rises to 8.9% by the end of this year with home prices falling an additional 22% for the same period." That would have been my best case scenario.

Supposedly the pessimistic scenario is now the baseline scenario. Hmmm. What's the pessimistic scenario then? And shouldn't changing the parameters require a re-do of the test?

Is there any wonder why there is now so much stress over the stress test?

More at link.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Damn...y'all make a girl's head spin,I'm tellin' you!

LOTS of wide-open spaces down here and nice folks...it's amazing actually,I'm a "city-girl" born and raised but have embraced the rural lifestyle although it's NOT easy or convienient much of the time.

Many fences and mostly privately owned lands but you can say what you will about Texans,they are generous to a fault and SO not afraid to work,share,or band together!
I have found they are more accepting and cut people who are willing to work hard a LOT more "slack" than many others do...

There are small water-sources,lots of deer,hogs (GOD I HATE THEM,they are ugly and nasty and mess up the fields!) and other small game and honestly,the weather in South Texas is moderate 90% of the time,even in the Winter.

I'm thinking that most of us are starting to see the Summer as a huge time of change?
Or,is that a time of rekkoning?

Sigh...I have things to get done I guess.

[edit on 18-4-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Ho Hum...more "Fed Speak"...

Fed's Dudley Says Investor Concern Over Scrutiny Under TALF Is `Misplaced'
www.bloomberg.com...

April 18 (Bloomberg) -- Federal Reserve Bank of New York President William Dudley said investors hold “misplaced” fears that participation in a $1 trillion central bank program to revive lending will bring government scrutiny.

The Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility, aimed at supporting financing of loans to credit card borrowers, students, car buyers and small businesses, is off to a “slow start,” Dudley said, recording just $6.4 billion in loans. “Investor anxiety about using the program has risen.”

Chairman Ben S. Bernanke has promoted the TALF as a cornerstone of his efforts to end the worst credit crisis since the Great Depression. The Fed chief has more than doubled the central bank’s balance sheet to $2.19 trillion during the past year by creating emergency programs aimed at unfreezing credit markets and restoring economic growth.
More at Link...

So...in other words...lending will bring NO government scrutiny.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
...This should help make-up for Good Friday...
(not good)

Layoff Daily
Sat 4-18-2009

www.layoffdaily.com...

Flexsys Stops Production -100

Cinram Inc. Idles Workers -330

Derby Cellular Closing -98

Country Fresh Dairy Closing -110

Noble Metal Processing Closing -79

Kawneer Co. Closing Plant -250

Ecolab Closing Plant -131

City of North Port FL -14

Suncadia Resort -43

California Jobless Rate 11.2%

Reef-Sunset Schools -62

GM More Plant Closings Layoffs

Uttermost Co. -20

Trendway Corp. -25

USA Legal Layoffs -10,000

Nomura -50

Total 11,312

+ GM

More to come...

Sorry Spinkyboo...when I saw these #'s it just moved me...

U.S. officials suggest worst of recession is over
www.reuters.com...

WTF?!? What chemicals are they putting in Washingtons water?!?

Dow ends best 6 weeks since 1938 on econ hopes
www.reuters.com...

Question: So how do we go from '31 to '38 in 2 months???

Answer: We don't...[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4095f5ecbe02.png[/atsimg]...that red vertical line is about now...

Follow the "bread crumbs"...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

This morons will never get it, my friend, lending is not the key to economic recovery if the whole mess that got us here was actually lending, credit and debt.

With the raising unemployment banks would be stupid to lend money to people that can not have means to pay back.

And then we have the credit card bubble.

So what I wonder is what is the whole scam behind the pushing of lending again.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Big money doesn't want to go back 20+ Yrs...

They like their "Funny Money"...it's made them the gods they are today...

...But...like it or not, we've already lost 10 Yrs or more of "progress"...and more is to come...

Like you say...once the bubble is popped...no matter how hard you blow...you'll never re-inflate it...

But...being the greedy slugs they are...they'll take all of us with them...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
China role in the G20 bigger than many think, you know that China was one of the nations that where promoting to take the dollar off of its pedestal due to the financial troubles in the US.

But the problem here is that why will China be doing this when they are the biggest holders of US Treasury Bonds.

China's goal is to prop the Yuan as the primary currency in the world.

Now they are starting the steps to dump the dollar while engaging in the purchase of natural resources around the world with all the assets they have gathered from the US.

Remember this people are not stupid and they are not our friend, they know what they are doing and they will be the ones to tell us when they are ready to finish off the US and the dollar.

While they are concerned about the US economy, they are not just sitting idle waiting for the America hopes in the markets to bring the economy back.

We should all be worry about what China is doing lately.

1. The Chinese are the largest foreign holder of U.S. debt as of January 1, 2009 – holding $739.6 billion dollars worth, or nearly one quarter of total foreign accumulation.

2. At the G20 summit on April 2, the Chinese called for replacing the dollar as a global reserve currency with a basket of international currencies – which include the yuan.

3. Nobu Su, head of Taiwan's TMT group, told The Telegraph that the Chinese government is moving to lessen its dependence on the dollar as quickly as possible.

What they Chinese are doing lately?

Well they are buying now raw materials.

The Chinese are buying raw materials because it is a much better way to use their $1.9 trillion of reserves. They get ten times the impact, and can cover their infrastructure for 50 years."

In addition to copper, the Chinese government is also stockpiling aluminum, zinc, nickel, titanium and other metals. The communist party in China has stockpiled resources for years, but the scope of this new policy may be unprecedented.

What in the heck are the Chinese planning now?

Well China holds 2 trillions of one of the world’s largest sovereign wealth funds, thanks to the generosity and gluttony of the US and they know that investing somewhere else but the US will eventually finish economic hold for sure

How much hold does China have on our government? well for those that think that US is still in charge lets say that during the G20 Obama no even once could bring any charges or talks about Chinas unfair practices at all.

Why? because you do not bite the hand that feed you, or in our case the hand that buys our debt.

www.economyincrisis.org...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Pretty ironic huh?

They will use our own debt against us, to hoard natural resources and buy mining company's like Rio Tinto...for penny's on the dollar in this depressed environment...while the dollar is relatively high still and makes our debt work better/more for them...

This is why I posted "strange" things in my 2009 thread and this one at times...tracking...

They've got massive Copper reserves to use for a new currency...

Gold and Silver are standing still or sliding while copper is rising...

Gold

Copper

...And with all the mining equipment under their thumb...*blamo*...

This is how blind our "leaders" are...they've sealed their own tombs, without even knowing it...

Just a matter of time now...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
...This should help make-up for Good Friday...
(not good)
Sorry Spinkyboo...when I saw these #'s it just moved me... :cryb

U.S. officials suggest worst of recession is over
www.reuters.com...

WTF?!? What chemicals are they putting in Washingtons water?!?

Those are some big numbers today.

I have been especially interested in the law firms laying off so many.
I work part time at a law firm - We are small - so - so far so good -
Only one person was let go some months ago...
THE WORST OF THE RECESSION IS OVER?!!
ah right - It's depression time then - right?
They are probably putting fluoride in Washingtons water -

[edit on 18-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

new topics

top topics

<< 251  252  253    255  256  257 >>

join