It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 235
<< 232  233  234    236  237  238 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

You may be right, though I think he has uncovered the "sacred".
I intend to keep an eye on Morgan's blog...for as long as he is alive that is.
Like I said, hope he has his life insurance. He is a registered investment advisor. Hard to say how close he is.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
S&P 500 -4.10 849.00 4/13 0:10am
Fair Value 853.38 4/10 10:16am
Difference* -4.38

NASDAQ -1.50 1334.50 4/12 9:20pm
Fair Value 1339.50 4/10 10:16am
Difference* -5.00

Dow Jones +46.00 7983.00 4/12 11:47pm
===
Hang Seng 14,901.41 Apr 9 Up 426.55 (2.95%)
Jakarta Composite 1,532.72 12:19AM ET Up 66.97 (4.57%) yikes!
Nikkei 225 8,996.47 12:00AM ET Up 32.36 (0.36%)
===
Gold $887.60 ^

[edit on 4/12/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

DAILY LAYOFF
4-11-2009 & 4-12-2009

Zambia Copper Mine -1,300
Shenendehowa Schools -46
Watseka Hospital -18
Indianapolis Diversified Machining -50
Austal USA -62
MeadWestvaco Update -51
National Semi 2 Week Closure -450
Syracuse China Closing -200
City of Hoboken -21
Northern AZ University -9
Nike Inc. -17
PCS Phosphate -24
Greene County OH Sheriff -10

TOTAL - 2,240+

Easter brought with it a low report of layoff news.
That's good.

It sounds like the March job losses will be less than previous months from the looks of things.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

They "say" 20k less than estimated...?

It never pans out in latter months...they always revise upward lately in this conflagration

...look it up...

@ Spinkyboo: Thanks for the right numbers!!! Star 4 U!

[edit on 4/13/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

It sounds like the March job losses will be less than previous months from the looks of things.

There is a good graph here - I can't seem to copy it - that shows 15 month approx.
money.cnn.com...

March's monthly loss is up slightly from the loss of 651,000 jobs in February, although it's less than the number of jobs lost in January. That figure was revised up to a loss of 741,000 jobs -- which now stands as the biggest monthly drop in 59 years.

[edit on 12-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

There is a good graph here - I can't seem to copy it - that shows 15 month approx.
money.cnn.com...

March's monthly loss is up slightly from the loss of 651,000 jobs in February, although it's less than the number of jobs lost in January. That figure was revised up to a loss of 741,000 jobs -- which now stands as the biggest monthly drop in 59 years.

Sorry I meant April job losses. Time goes by so quickly. I thought it was still March for a moment

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Sorry I meant April job losses. Time goes by so quickly. I thought it was still March for a moment

AH - yes - possibly -'"they" are predicting about the same as March -
Although I don't put much credence in what "they" say....
It does seem as though the weekend numbers are less.

The mere numbers of people without work is staggering.
It's an eerie silent kind of transformation.

He predicted that between 600,000 and 700,000 more jobs will be lost in April, and that the best people can hope for is that the pace of job losses starts to slow down heading into summer.

"What we have to hope is as we get to May and June, the losses can be limited to only 300,000 or 400,000 range," Gilliam said.

money.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

whats up?

i promised i wouldnt come back to this thread, but i have to jump back in

havent been on the site much lately, but almost ready to take my series 7..

anyways..

since you are the only one that hasnt like blocked me.. check these out bro

S&P Banking Index

Dow Jones Industrial Average

Charts

DJIA Closed ABOVE its 100 Day MA for like the first time in forever on thursday and the SP Banking Index just broke out

I like the idea of a monday selloff in the morning then massive buying on rumors of better than expected from goldman on tuesday... maybe even getting into it real late monday..

i got my tax return of $900 LOL.. that should really do it.. but hey.. my original 5000 if you remember back when would be 21,000 on paper right now !!! YIKES!!! LOL

Take it easy guys

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
U.S. Dollar edges up...

The dollar edged up against the yen in quiet trade on Monday with many overseas players still away for the Easter holiday and others waiting until the U.S. corporate earnings season gets into full swing.

U.S. banks including Goldman Sachs (GS.N), JPMorgan (JPM.N) and Citigroup (C.N) are set to report first-quarter results this week, and traders are keen to see how stock markets react to these earnings reports.
www.reuters.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Yep...all these "leaked" story's of "profits" have put a catapult to those stocks and indexes...

"They" better get it, while the getting is good, this outright lie can't continue forever...

Already talk of investigations in to all aspects of this AIG/GS/.GOV triangle...

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

hey man, regardless, its not like im really disagreeing with you at all on this, but you really cant fight such a positive chart..

its been a long time since we crossed that 100day MA..

this week is going to be real interesting needless to say..

IMHO I think we see dow 8750-9250 within 5 trading days

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Congrats! getting ready to take the Series 7 means you got hired by someone who is a FINRA member :-)

Kudos on that

Did you have to get your 66 & 63 too? Not that those are hard, just wondering.

Anyway - back to the markets...

The DJI volume increased 80.9% from Wednesday to Thursday. Just looking at the chart, it's hard not to see this as just plain bullish.

The DJI volume was driven primarily by the financials and WMT (+145%). Other DJI stocks had more muted volume increases; some, such as AA, CVX, and KFT, saw volume decreases. Non-financial stocks that saw volume spikes, such as BA, PG, and MMM, were fighting with their own moving averages.

Now here's the strange thing: Money flows from the financial sector particularly block trades on the big names like BAC, GS, JPM were hugely negative. A $312M outflow from the DJI and $428M outflow from the financial sector.

Looking at Avol - a running total, adding volume on days where the close is over the day before, and subtracting volume on days that close under the day before - What it is showing in GS is that down volume has been almost flat since it's low back in nov while the price has advanced almost 70 handles -- not quite 150%. People have been both buying AND selling on strength.

What this shows ME is that Goldman Sachs may is artificially manipulating their stock price to foment market conditions allowing them to raise capital, rid themselves of TARP, and go back to paying themselves huge bonuses.

The Stage is Set I won't be surprised if they announce a Stock Sale Monday.

for more background see this article at ZeroHedge and this one too

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Actually I heard Goldman is raising 5 billion i think for a new fund

and yes, thanks, my dad being a cfp/crpc with a company here got me singed on..

i dont have to take the other series as of now.. my dad said its a waste. but we will see...

one thing I have been noticing is the period of consolidation from the "head and shoulders" is about almost the same as of right now.. everything is coming together for another 20% rally IMO..

Im really interested on how this plays out..

Like I said i got my $896 that i am hoping to do some damage with LOL

carry on..

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

also would this negative volume you stated be in the form of short selling.. i see (like citi) has over 1.2 billion short right now... and short volume has increased dramatically lately..

could be major short squeeze coming up here.. or maybe i am reading that wrong..

either way you slice this, we are trending bullish and IMO we are higher in 30 days by 10-25% than we are now

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   

I don't know - looks like we are having a new head right now.

Yes it is looking rather bullish, but it's still a suckers rally. Nothing has changed fundamentally to give any reason to believe that this is real growth.

And the funky variations in volume vs. movement supports the fact that none of this is "real"

Not that you can't make money off it, but whe it stops, it won't be a fizzle out - it will probably get fugly.

be careful with your almost $900. Guess you gonna deposit it in Daddy's account to use it since most brokerages require a minimum $3500 to open an account.

As to the negative CASH FLOW (not volume) what it signals is that there is a LOT of shares being sold by "someone" who has had LARGE blocks, but in such a way as to not tank the price.

In other words, someone is offloading financial stock while artificially making them look strong. But they are unloading at a loss.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Here's some lazy time readin' for ya...*his words..not mine*...

How to avoid a short squeeze
As stocks rally and feds circle, short sellers face tough calls
&dist=TNMostRead]Ma rketWatch

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Short sellers are being ambushed from all sides, from tighter regulations to double-digit stock gains. But there are ways to get out of the jungle alive.
Selling stocks short, which worked well as the market plunged to its bear-market lows, came back to bite practitioners as the broad market staged a swift, double-digit rally over the last month.

A watchful eye on contrarian indicators, heavily shorted stocks and safe-haven investment flows -- plus an ear for market sentiment -- can help investors determine when it's time to get out of, or back into, a short-selling strategy.
"You want to look for extremes," said Paul Brigandi, vice president of trading at Direxion Funds, which runs $5 billion in exchange-traded and mutual funds, including leveraged short funds such as Direxion Financial Bear 3X Shares.

That largely means watching the metrics that signal investor fears have gone too far, such as highs in the CBOE Volatility Index, called the Vix, and gold prices, as well as lows in Treasury-bond yields and investor-sentiment surveys. When investors are hunkering down in cash, Treasurys and gold, the thinking goes, stocks may have sold off too much and are ready to rally.

"A huge amount of money sitting on the sidelines and in safe havens creates a recipe for a snapback," Brigandi said.
Retail investors can engage in short sales -- placing bets that an individual stock or a broader sector will fall -- by borrowing stock through a margin account or purchasing exchange-traded funds or mutual funds that engage in short trades. E-Trade Financial Corp. and Scottrade, for instance, allow investors to sell stock short with as little as $2,000 in a margin account.
More at Link...

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

I have a brokerage acct. but for me to wire the $ into there and then deal with all that is a hassle and a half so ill prob go about it other ways.. but its a pain in the ass b/c you have to submit all your trades and do all this BS because you work for a broker-dealer etc.... down the line

as i said earlier.. i think we see a drop in the market in the morning to early afternoon and thats when i want to get in..

i am looking at C, FAS, and BAC and these just mainly b/c the price is right..

if i am up big over a few days i might even buy a PUT if im feeling all "hedgy" LOL

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

i just hope i can profit off that shortsqueeze if i was actually to time it correctly,,

but seriously, the way i see it, i mean even if it tanks short term (which i really doubt) im basically betting on america here lol and also im guessing the MAX i could lose is 50% off a measly 900 that was just gifted to me from big ben LOL

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Be careful, have tight stops and DUDE, that FAS addiction is a crazy thing isn't it?

When you win it's all good, but on any 3x leverage - when you lose... OUCH

Myself, I made some real nice coinage over the last 2 weeks. I am not sure if I'll jump in to play this week or not.

I never hold over the weekend - a personal rule - I've had my face ripped off doing that before - not fun.

If you haven't read it, Ticker Guy put out a ticker recently, the title is Don't Be Stupid. I would advise that anyone trading heeds the warning.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   

you didnt hold over the weekend?

when did you sell your positions?

the last hour of trading on thursday has me pumped up LOL

I admittedly cant sleep b/c i love stock market action too much, im a sick person, and im not even an active trader anymore (well hopefully that changes shortly)

FAS - LOL - I love this thing, mainly b/c i HATE SKF and everything it stands for and if i had the means I would be a rich man shorting that mo'fo..

[edit on 13-4-2009 by GreenBicMan]

new topics

top topics

<< 232  233  234    236  237  238 >>

join