It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 228
<< 225  226  227    229  230  231 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
S&P 500 +4.20 826.80 4/8 8:41pm
Fair Value 812.08 4/7 8:46pm
Difference* +14.72

NASDAQ +5.00 1303.50 4/8 8:16pm
Fair Value 1274.40 4/7 8:46pm
Difference* +29.10

Dow Jones +13.00 7806.00 4/8 7:04pm
===
NZSE 50 2,563.16 8:34PM ET Down 5.75 (0.22%)
Nikkei 225 8,762.88 8:37PM ET Up 167.87 (1.95%)
Seoul Composite 1,284.76 8:37PM ET Up 22.69 (1.80%)

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I am so happy to see that most of these sources have stopped saying that everything is getting better. Finally people will realize just a tad, how bad things are.

I could not agree more with this statement.
It's criminal act to continue telling lies -
omitting the truth...
Instead of pretending "everything is just fine"
our government should be giving out survival information -
how to start your own garden - barter - keep a roof over your head -
how to clean your water...
this is what a real government would be offering its people -
the truth and a way to stay alive during times of difficulty -

[edit on 8-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The schools are starting to seriously suffer.
And - so will our kids.

LAYOFF DAILY
Wed 4-8-2009

Reno Gazette-Journal -33
Wolf Robotics -14
Wellesley -40
Peoria Unified School District -300
Bridgewater-Raynham Schools -70
Sarasota Schools -320
Gilbert AZ Schools -400
Scottsdale Schools -250
Greenheck Fan Corp. -37
MerCruiser -135 StandardAero -115
Vesuvius Steel Plant -4
NYC Mayor Calls for Cuts -7,000
www.silive.com...
Rome GA Super Kmart Store -80
Dean Health Systems -90
Russian Auto Maker GAZ -4,000
Vegas Chamber of Commerce -11
John Deere Iowa -160
Tucson Schools -605
No Severence: Farmland Workers -200
Checker Motors Closing -273
RTS Packaging Closing -50
Whirlpool Consolidates China Plants -600
Dawn Food Products Inc. -59
Baker and McKenzie Law Firm -124
Boston Mayor Proposes -565
Hampton Lumber Mills -85
City of Nampa ID -16
Raley's HQ Cutting Staff Hampton Affiliates -275

TOTAL - 15,776 est.

California Lost 42,000 Industrial Jobs
www.manufacturersnews.com...

Underemployment surging
www.finance-commerce.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
ATTN Lurker attack

Remember during the election, the bid O did the teary eyed visit to (believe it was a S Carolina ) a school that needed books and repairs, his pledge to better
the learning

Where wil this fit in his list of promises

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

I noticed most of those jobs lost seemed to come from schools...
Shows where the priorities are.. kids get dumber every year it seems, cant be surprised. We've all but sold their desks.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seany

ATTN Lurker attack

Remember during the election, the bid O did the teary eyed visit to (believe it was a S Carolina ) a school that needed books and repairs, his pledge to better
the learning

Where wil this fit in his list of promises

Nothing like a good lurker attack on a Wednesday night.

I'm an optimist - (believe it or not)
But I find a smiling president disturbing to some degree.
I want to hear how all of these people who are losing their jobs -
can continue to have a relatively normal existence.
I want to see the money that is going to keep all of the big boys and girls alive -
given to the little boys and girls - the ones that have been working their butts off in this country - the ones that have been playing by the rules.
There is just something wrong with allowing this many people to lose their homes and jobs - while some are still living like kings.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I noticed most of those jobs lost seemed to come from schools...
Shows where the priorities are.. kids get dumber every year it seems, cant be surprised. We've all but sold their desks.

Schools sadly have not been a priority for a number of years now.
So this is just adding insult to injury - in a big way.
We will be using the desks for firewood - if something doesn't turn around soon.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Star 4 U!

Thanks for the big update on the other...I think

Hawaii, suffering tourism drop, appeals to Obama
www.latimes.com...

S&P 500 +3.30 825.90 4/8 10:16pm
Fair Value 821.77 4/8 8:52pm
Difference* +4.13

NASDAQ +5.00 1303.50 4/8 8:16pm
Fair Value 1299.85 4/8 8:52pm
Difference* +3.65

Dow Jones +37.00 7830.00 4/8 9:34pm
===
Shanghai Composite 2,359.51 10:16PM ET Up 12.12 (0.52%)
Nikkei 225 8,753.39 10:00PM ET Up 158.38 (1.84%)
Taiwan Weighted 5,579.55 10:11PM ET Up 135.99 (2.50%)
===
Gold $882.40
===

Banks Holding Up in Tests, but May Still Need Aid
www.nytimes.com...

For the last eight weeks, nearly 200 federal examiners have labored inside some of the nation’s biggest banks to determine how those institutions would hold up if the recession deepened.

What they are discovering may come as a relief to both the financial industry and the public: the banking industry, broadly speaking, seems to be in better shape than many people think, officials involved in the examinations say.

That is the good news. The bad news is that many of the largest American lenders, despite all those bailouts, probably need to be bailed out again, either by private investors or, more likely, the federal government. After receiving many millions, and in some cases, many billions of taxpayer dollars, banks still need more capital, these officials say.

The federal “stress tests” that the examiners are administering are the subject of fierce debate within the banking industry.

Regulators say all 19 banks undergoing the exams will pass them. Indeed, they say this is a test that a bank simply will not fail: if the examiners determine that a bank needs “exceptional assistance,” the government, that is, taxpayers, will provide it.
More at Link...

What a waste of time...should of moved their paintings to pleasure island instead...or is it fantasy Island???

Taiwan Weighted 5,614.12 10:59PM ET Up 170.56 (3.13%)

Have You Had Enough "Change"?
www.rightsidenews.com...

Harlingen, Texas, March 7, 2009: To be up front about everything, it really started with the Bush Administration seeking $700 Billion in TARP Funds to bail out a faltering financial market. A Democrat controlled Congress was happy to oblige. Bush and Company managed to pour half of that sum down the drain before time ran out on the political power clock and the Obama Team took the field.

The remaining TARP money quickly went the way of all big spenders just after the Obama Administration gained control of the public purse. We had asked for change and the new team was ready to show us the way. Not to be outdone by Bush, they quickly followed up with a $787 Billion stimulus package. Almost without taking a breath, the Democrats then gave us a $410 Billion Omnibus-spending bill, complete with about 9,000 earmarks.

The upcoming federal budget request is for more than $3.6 Trillion, but nobody can predict where it will end up with a spend-crazy Congress that is sure to salt it with more pork than can be swallowed by the American public. But, hey...the votes were counted and they said America wanted change they could believe in.
More at Link...

[edit on 4/8/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Scary bad...

New Data Reveals Largest US Banks at Risk of Failure According to Weiss Research: JPMorgan Chase, Citibank, Wells Fargo, HSBC USA, Goldman Sachs, SunTrust, Compass, Fifth Third, and Huntington

Derivatives Losses Spreading
www.marketwire.com...
Apr 08, 2009 16:59 ET

JUPITER, FL--(Marketwire - April 8, 2009) - In a press conference held yesterday to review fourth quarter call report data and TheStreet.com bank ratings, Martin D. Weiss of Weiss Research, Inc. concluded that:

-- Three out of four of the nation's largest banks are at risk of failure --
JPMorgan Chase, Citibank, Wells Fargo.

-- Also at risk are HSBC USA, Goldman Sachs and large regional banks,
including SunTrust Bank, Compass Bank (Alabama), Fifth Third Bank
(Michigan), Huntington Bank (Ohio) and Etrade Bank (Virginia).

-- The total number of at-risk banks and thrifts rose to 1,816 in the
fourth quarter, from 1,568 banks in the prior quarter, an increase of 16
percent.
Also in the conference, Weiss provided updated commentary on his white paper issued on March 19. Titled "Dangerous Unintended Consequences," the white paper names U.S. banks and thrifts believed to be at risk of failure, using that data to demonstrate that the U.S. government greatly underestimates the scope of the debt crisis, while overestimating its ability to effectively save troubled institutions without severe adverse consequences.

"Especially alarming," writes Dr. Weiss, "is the fourth quarter OCC data demonstrating that record bank losses are spreading to interest-rate derivatives. Until now, bank derivatives losses have been limited almost exclusively to credit defaults swaps (CDS), which represent only 7.8 percent of the notional value U.S. derivatives held by all U.S. banks. In the fourth quarter, although the CDS losses continued at a near-record pace, we also witnessed record losses in the interest-rate sector, which represents 82 percent of the derivatives market: The nation's banks lost $3.4 billion in interest-rate derivatives, or more than seven times their worst previous quarterly loss in this category."

Separately, total global losses from the debt crisis to date are estimated at close to $4 trillion, with only about one third written down so far.

"In the face of such enormous risks and losses," Dr. Weiss continues, "it's entirely unreasonable to expect the U.S. Government to rescue failing U.S. financial institutions without unacceptable damage to its own credit, credibility and borrowing power."

In his phone conference with the press yesterday, Dr. Weiss discussed the serious implications of his findings. (To listen to the audio recording, go to blogs.moneyandmarkets.com...)

He then followed up with recommendations for 54,000 investors and consumers that had registered for a Weiss online webinar. (To view the video recording, go to weiss.streamlogics.com...)

About Martin D. Weiss, Ph.D.

Martin D. Weiss, Ph.D., founder and president of Weiss Research, Inc. and a leading advocate for investor safety, is a nationally recognized expert on banking and insurance company solvency. With more than 35 years of experience, Dr. Weiss has helped empower millions of investors to make better financial decisions through his monthly Safe Money Report and daily Money and Markets.

Dr. Weiss, along with Weiss analyst Mike Larson, specifically named nearly all of the major institutions that have suffered a financial failure in this crisis. Weiss predicted the demise of Bear Stearns 102 days prior to its failure, Lehman Brothers (182 days prior), Fannie Mae (eight years prior), and Citigroup (110 days prior). Similarly, the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) reported that, in the 1990s, Weiss greatly outperformed Moody's, Standard & Poor's, A.M. Best and D&P (now Fitch) in warning of future life insurance company failures. (See the Weiss forecast track at blogs.moneyandmarkets.com... and the GAO report at archive.gao.gov...)

Dr. Weiss is a New York Times best-selling author with a new book, "The Ultimate Depression Survival Guide: Protect Your Savings, Boost Your Income and Grow Wealthy Even in the Worst of Times."

For a full history of Weiss Research, Inc., please see www.moneyandmarkets.com...

[edit on 4/8/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
Scary bad...

Of course they will incur more losses, but the question I want to know is, will they have to POST the losses? More importantly how many more investors will be snarled into this fictitious rally on everything will be peachy again? I am so confused now that I am thinking about calling a congressional official now or the treasury tomorrow and asking HOW do I trade this stuff?! I can't short due to fear that things will be made to look better and I can't buy because I know things are bad and don't know if things will be made to look better.

A very confused trader

Now I have been relinquished to the abhorrable position of day trading

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Day Trading indeed...

And ya better keep one eye on the tickers and one on the .gov news...

Never know when they'll change the game while yer not looking...

Sorry to hear about yer confusion...none here...got out...staying out...

I don't care if I'd made a million...not worth the worry lines on my furrowed brow and sleepless nights...

Lets see...tonight they're going up...so tomorrow we'll go lower...

S&P 500 +9.30 831.90 4/9 0:50am
Difference* +10.13

NASDAQ +13.25 1311.75 4/9 0:48am
Difference* +11.90

Dow Jones +75.00 7868.00 4/9 0:49am

Nikkei 225 8,887.18 12:49AM ET Up 292.17 (3.40%)
Taiwan Weighted 5,664.74 12:49AM ET Up 221.18 (4.06%)

[edit on 4/9/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Where is everyone???

Is this like the end of the world and y'all forgot to tell me???

Lurkers???

ANYONE!!!!

*And now back to your regularly scheduled program*

S&P 500 +8.60 831.20 4/9 0:59am
Difference* +9.43

NASDAQ +13.25 1311.75 4/9 0:48am
Difference* +11.90

Dow Jones +77.00 7870.00 4/9 1:00am
===
Gold $883.30
===
Nikkei 225 8,873.61 1:00AM ET Up 278.60 (3.24%)
Seoul Composite 1,302.99 1:00AM ET Up 40.92 (3.24%)
Taiwan Weighted 5,660.54 1:01AM ET Up 216.98 (3.99%)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Getting out and staying out for the time being is a good idea. The central bankers are flaming mad over the IMF being the sole controller of the newest taxpayer bail outs.
There has been a massive increase in the stories of doom and gloom coming from the people and economist's that work for the central banker's as of late. One can always depend on irrational emotions to bring out the worst in someone. But at the sametime their anger may be good for us because they will sing like canaries to get an upper hand on all of this.
You can't get deny that they are mad all you have to do is go back into the news right before the G20 meeting ...then go from the agreement about the IMF forward and you will see it plain as day.
The thing that has me wondering is just how far they will go to regain control? Due to past history I am confident they will go all the way. It wouldn't be the first time they hung entire countries out to dry over not being the one's in total control.Somehting you can always depend on as far as filthy rich people go is that they are all overly greedy gamblers and will lie cheat and steal to get their fix at the game. Unfortunatly for us we are the game and how we work and live is the prize.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

Star 4 U!!!

I Thought everyone had bugged out and forgot to tell me TSHTF...

And yes the "Master of the Universe" are going for each others throats now...

It's the regional players against the global players...

Their poor NWO is at stake here and it looks to fail from your above stated greed...

Absolute Power...Absolute Corruption...Absolute Chaos...Absolutely...

It's gone beyond their control now...emotion has over taken the movement...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I'm still here Hx3, just busy with a lot of stuff on my plate.

Looks like more city governments and government agencies are going to be cutting jobs to try and save their budgets. The Unemployment numbers are going to be high this month.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

And ya better keep one eye on the tickers and one on the .gov news...

Never know when they'll change the game while yer not looking...

Sorry to hear about yer confusion...none here...got out...staying out...

I don't care if I'd made a million...not worth the worry lines on my furrowed brow and sleepless nights...

No you don't understand, I do not have sleepless nights because I daytrade, I buy at around 9:30AM and sell at 10AM or a little later for a few cents a share profit due to volatility. I am NOT staying on board over night till bank earnings and stress test results have been announced.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Hope that plate don't break...

It's just been kinda quiet out here as of late...scary...

S&P 500 +6.20 828.80 4/9 3:17am
Difference* +7.03

NASDAQ +10.50 1309.00 4/9 3:10am
Difference* +9.15

Dow Jones +78.00 7871.00 4/9 2:34am
===
FTSE 100 3,951.91 3:14AM ET Up 26.39 (0.67%)
CAC 40 2,933.90 3:29AM ET Up 12.84 (0.44%)
DAX 4,398.99 3:14AM ET Up 41.07 (0.94%)
===
Nikkei 225 8,909.57 1:54AM ET Up 314.56 (3.66%)
Seoul Composite 1,317.06 1:54AM ET Up 54.99 (4.36%)
Taiwan Weighted 5,667.80 1:46AM ET Up 224.24 (4.12%)

Shanghai Composite 2,344.64 2:03AM ET Down 2.74 (0.12%)

[edit on 4/9/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Zimbo, would you marry me?
www.nexternal.com...

Com'ere. Hold it like that.

Zimbo, would you marry me?
www.philadelphia-reflections.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Million dollar question, eh?

With the new Mark-to-Market rules I would bet that some of these losses will not be reported.. It depends on the nature of these derivatives. A CDS loss is a payment, which would mean that its not equity loosing value, which like a CDO is effected by the new rules. CDS losses are outright exchanges or payments rather, of actual cash. These would have to be reported. I don't know the nature of these other exotic investments to say whether or not they will be reported. Further Mortgage losses won't be reported though, along with a variety of other assets, which would be marked down to market value as they loose or gain value.

It does make trading more and more risky, because we don't know whats going to happen.. I tried to take advantage of some over valued stocks by purchasing and shorting hoping to see them drop, if this persistent rally will ever end. But I am steering clear from financials all together since the new M2M rules.. Banks will still post losses, but not as severe, but if we can't see how the value of shares are effected it's basically trading blind. If the Gov is serious about loaning cash to consumers I'm looking at the folks building the homes for returns, not the banks. At least the home builders are more transparent in that.. well.. they either build or they don't.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
So any bets on when it's gonna collapse again? There was a crisis starting in August 07 lasting to March 08 with Bear Stern. Then people thought it was over.

Then it collapsed again in september 08... until March 08... when there was a 25% rally.

So when will it collapse again? June? August? September? Next year?

Also I don't understand how banks shares can go up when everything else is going to hell... HOW THE HELL will people pay their loans? And the derivatives??? Banks shares of the 5 biggest banks should be at 0$.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

This happens when banks want to own everything. Now they own everything and people own nothing. The goal has been accomplished. The system fulfilled its purpose. Game over.

And now, they still want the system to keep functioning!!!!

This is incredible. They have no idea what they are doing. They are just simulating it. They always believed that the game was only about money, and now when they have all the money in the world they realize that money is just debt and there is nothing else you can do with debt but write it off.

It is agony, pure agony

new topics

top topics

<< 225  226  227    229  230  231 >>

join