It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 182
<< 179  180  181    183  184  185 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Donny 4 million

Yep...thanks for that,I thought so,mostly the 3rd Fri in a month?
I'm just trying to make some sense of no-sense...need all the help I can muster!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

IC - Here's a chart of OpEx for the year

Nothing expired today - or this week for that matter

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

The uptick may be a flash in the pan, but if it is a real turn around it will be historic. Sombody has to feed the cats. Close was , DOW175
The NAS was a neat 59 or so.
I think alot of sell to cover just the same.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by Donny 4 million]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Oh man, I don't want to be like the government...

And the G20 is almost doomed before it even starts. I have a feeling Obama is going to get smacked down in that meeting.

G20 is probably the reason of this North Korea game.
They have no solution, so let's forget about it for a minute while rockets rattle

Perfect timing!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Who was the guy that said, "When something happens in politics, it is because they wanted it to happen."

I don't remember but it is the truth, especially considering there is so much going on behind the scenes that we aren't privy too.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

We can't see in the dark, but we can smell

North Korea doesn't do anything without Chinese approval.
And for the USA, this may as well be the test to see who will do as America says.
Especially regarding Japan.
I wonder what will Putin say, or will he. Maybe he'll just sit there in his sauna and laugh.
And everybody will forget about Tibet (like in South Africa). H. Clinton done that part efficiently.
Mexico may come in handy, it is always nice when politicians have problems to list one after another.

And about what is going on on the stock market, God knows, I still believe its a total simulation.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Stocks in U.S. Climb, Extending S&P 500's Biggest Monthly Rally Since '74
www.bloomberg.com...

March 26 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. stocks rallied, extending the market’s best monthly gain since 1974, on better-than-estimated earnings at Best Buy Co. and ConAgra Foods Inc. and prospects for lower labor costs at General Motors Corp.

Best Buy, the largest U.S. electronics chain, jumped 13 percent and ConAgra, maker of Banquet frozen dinners and Slim Jim meat snacks, rose 9.2 percent. GM climbed 14 percent after saying 7,500 union members signed up for buyouts. Research In Motion Ltd. gained 4.9 percent after Goldman Sachs Group Inc. recommended buying shares of the maker of BlackBerry phones.

:snip:

Best Buy rallied 13 percent to $37.67, its highest price since September, after saying fourth-quarter profit fell less than analysts estimated with results helped by mobile-phone sales in Europe. Best Buy’s earnings forecast for the year was also higher than analysts projected.

ConAgra added 9.2 percent to $16.99, the biggest gain since 2000. The company, which also makes Egg Beaters, Fiddle Faddle popcorn and Fleischmann’s margarine, cut prices for Banquet dinners and cooking oil after record high commodity prices receded and consumers moved to discounted brands.

S&P 500 companies are projected to report profit decreased 36 percent on average in the first quarter and 30 percent in the next, according to analysts’ estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Forecasts show earnings will decline until at least the third quarter, bringing the total slump to nine straight quarters, the longest since Bloomberg began tracking the data in 1998.

GM rose 14 percent to $3.41, the steepest gain in the Dow. The retirements and buyouts of 12 percent of GM’s union workforce open slots for the automaker to hire replacement workers for half the current union rate.
More at Link...

I'm I reading this article correct?

The new down is up...except when it's not down as much as you expected???

...But wait...there's more...

Fed officials hint recession in final stages
www.reuters.com...

...Once again...who to believe...

[edit on 3/26/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Hey guys, check out my topic that talks about the market situation we are in. The report I link to came from 2002. It is a very interesting read.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
YeeeHaw - Let's fix the fraud with more fraud

New Rule Would Allow Banks To Choose Values Of Their Assets

The Financial Accounting Standards Board quietly buckled to banking-industry pressure last week and proposed new accounting practices that would allow banks to value assets at a higher price than they could currently be sold for.

Banks have long demanded the "mark-to-market" accounting rule change, arguing that it's unfair to require them to mark toxic assets down to current market prices because the very market for those assets is frozen.

The move marks a shift for Robert Herz, head of the FASB, who recently told a panel of lawmakers that the harshest critics of mark-to-market accounting practices have been the very same banks that have gone under when regulators would not let them adjust their accounting. Herz and other regulators have been under intense congressional pressure to reform the rules.

"I will tell you that I get calls and visits from some of those institutions that are now in government hands, about two weeks before they get taken over, trying to get the accounting changed," he said. "Clearly some of the most vocal opponents of fair value and mark-to-market have been some of those institutions that ultimately failed and have had to have billions of taxpayer dollars put into them."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said that she's been consulting with former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker regarding the reform.

"I've talked to Mr. Volcker about this, who knows a great deal about it. And I think caution is important in it, but I think attention is necessary," said Pelosi in a brief interview with the Huffington Post.

She said that she's following the issue closely. "I think it has to be done with care. But we have to pay some attention to it because the current system is not working," she said. "It's the whole thing: If you mark it too low, what's the price?"

Volcker chaired a financial reform study that reported its findings in January (PDF). It came down on the side of reforming mark-to-market rules. "Fair value accounting principles and standards should be reevaluated with a view to developing more realistic guidelines for dealing with less liquid instruments and distressed markets," it recommends. "The tension between the business purpose served by regulated financial institutions that intermediate credit and liquidity risk and the interests of investors and creditors should be resolved by development of principles-based standards that better reflect the business models of these institutions."

Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fl.), who quizzed Herz on the accounting rule, said that the demand to change the rules is "representative of exactly the kind of thing that's put us in this position in general...We have people who break every rule in the book and then they think that the answer to their problems is to break more rules. It's given us some real insight into the human nature and the pathology of the people who have created these problems for America."

If banks are allowed to determine the value of their assets without regard to current prices, investors have less trust and confidence in the integrity of their books and their assets, which could further freeze markets and further drive down prices.

More at link

Welcome to the magical world of Mark-to-Myth

Skittles for everyone

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Obamarket Update #47 for Wednesday March 25, 2009: Bond Blowup
johngaltfla.com...

Enjoy the show gang because if the next couple of auctions go poorly, well that won’t save this market. Even the WSJ Heard on the Street’s column recognizes the problem with the story that “Bond Markets Don’t Buy the Rally” and equity markets don’t lead bonds gang, it is always credit first, equity second. Add in the accelerating problem of commercial property crashing faster by the day and a potential nuke going off on the markets at 5 p.m. on Friday with a long rumored General Growth bankruptcy filing and you can see why I don’t buy this rally going much beyond 7900 today if at all.

In the markets today, well the chart says it all. The bananas were able to bail out Turbo Timmy after he endorsed the idea of an IMF based currency then had to back track when Benron called and said “you’re not supposed to say that yet” and those slippery yellow creatures had to buy a lot of JPM and GS to pull that slide down out of the potential abyss. It signals to me just how fragile and shallow this “rally” has been and as with all bear market rallies of this size, when the jaws snap shut, a lot of Cramermaniacs will be looking for a peg leg to replace what they lost. Or would that be a replacement peg leg if you followed his advice? Whatever, here is your dancing banana and Dow chart of the day as Cowboy “O” got on that bull (well, it was a cow or he had one when Turbo spoke) and rode it back up for a nice advance.

johngaltfla.com...

Good thing for old Tex there they close the markets at 4. Because the downgrading of WFC and BAC preferreds to junk status by Moody’s will flat knock the horse out from under this market once they permabulls wake up and sober up.

The UTT-BUGLY Chart of the Day says a lot about the new Geithner program; keep crappy banks open no matter what. Bank Atlantic has been making new lows on a regular basis but today’s action seems to hint that the end is nigh. Right. Like I believe that. BKUNA is still open despite being a penny stock for ages now. But it does open the possibility of a new S&P index: The S&P Banking 250.

The 250 being the maximum amount of pennies that can be used to buy any one of these stocks.

johngaltfla.com...

Get ready for a wild Thursday and Friday gang as no matter what you hear, the bond markets are telling the tale of the tape.

-John
More at Link...

We'll have to see about this...

General Growth has been playing with this problem for awhile now...

Think this has anything to it?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Wonderful, instead of them having to market the assets down at what the market value is, they get to mark them up to whatever they deem.

Great idea, buckle to the banks, bunch of spineless......

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Losing what's left of my mine here,LOL!

The logical side says: look at the numbers,credit crisis to come,jobless reports,info from friends all over the US...things are NOT good.

The hopeful side says: could it REALLY be getting better and I'm just running scared?Maybe but not myself as a matter of fact.

The questioning side says: the market is up,reports are saying "things are good again",and most I come in contact with are still going about life as usual.

It's like there are at least two different "worlds" out there right now so which to choose is the question?

What to "believe" indeed.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I'm right there with ya.

One side is telling me the bottom is about to fall out because they have reached deep down into the bag and there is nothing left.

The other side is telling me that well maybe we are about to pull out of this. Maybe it is just because I really don't want life as we know it to end.

Nothing makes sense though, I think people are just riding out the rally because the trend for the past week or two is up, nothing really there to substantiate that it is a real recovery, but yea lets invest and see what happens.

I tell ya one thing if I could predict what was going to happen I would bet the house.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

You and me both Babe...you and me both!

I have funds just "gathering dust" (that is,I took them out of the market) and I'm itching to do "something" but there's the hard-working side of me that refuses to lose any more money to the thugs in ties!

Looking to rationalize: Apple used to make me "shoe money" every single week,I'd buy and sell...probably up today because they announced the dates of conference that center arouund when Jobs is due off medical leave.
Rational it would go up.

The rest is voodoo,as it's been said lately,LOL!

I guess I'm looking to find SOMETHING in the volumes of info out there that even feels remotely like "the truth" to me anymore.

I have lost confidence I guess...not that we can continue to prosper but I just am distrustful...it changes DAILY lately!

Probably best to learn a bit of patience and see how it falls...sigh.
Not my strong suit,LOL!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

General Growth Properties: Bondholders won't extend loans
www.chicagotribune.com...
Shopping mall owner pushes back deadline for its effort to win extension

Cash-strapped General Growth Properties Inc. said Monday that it has been unable to persuade holders of five series of bonds totaling $2.25 billion to agree to hold off demanding immediate repayment, but it pushed back the expiration of its effort to win approval of an extension.

"We continue to believe that giving the company time to work with its creditors to develop a comprehensive restructuring plan without the threat and distraction of ongoing defaults is in the best interests of the company and all its constituencies," said Chief Executive Adam Metz.

General Growth, a Chicago-based real estate investment trust that specializes in mall properties, made extensive use of leverage as part of its expansion strategy and has been driven to the brink of Chapter 11 bankruptcy by the turmoil that hit credit markets several months ago. The company had been expecting to refinance billions of dollars in debt with new borrowing, but it has been unable to find lenders willing to advance it the money.

Last week, General Growth missed a deadline on $395 million of its bonds. That default touched off cross-default provisions, under which holders of the $2.25 billion in bonds that come due between now and 2013 could demand immediate repayment.

General Growth has been trying to forestall such a demand through a bond consent solicitation, under which the bondholders would agree not to press for repayment through the end of 2009. The company would halt payment of interest, though it would accrue, and the company would pay holders later. General Growth also would pay a quarterly fee in exchange for the lenders' forbearance until year-end.

On Monday, General Growth said it had come up short on some of the five issues.

An issue of 3.625 percent notes and an issue of 8 percent notes, both due this year, had to reach a minimum of 90 percent acceptance, but reached only 42 percent and 67.4 percent, respectively, the REIT said.

"What are they going to do different between now and the end of the week to get that number to 90 percent?" said Rich Moore, managing director of RBC Capital Markets in Solon, Ohio.

It's more likely, Moore said, that General Growth will use the extra time to negotiate the sale of malls to pay down debt.

"You could see the whole company bought, perhaps. It's a bigger stretch, in this environment, to buy a whole company the size of [General Growth]," he said.

Of the three other issues, which come due in 2012 and 2013, holders of two of the three tendered 75 percent or more, but without full participation of all five groups, General Growth will still be vulnerable.

The solicitation had expired at 4 p.m. Central time Friday, but General Growth said Monday that it has extended the solicitation by a week.

General Growth shares advanced 22 cents, or 50 percent, to 66 cents.
This doesn't sound very good to me...you?

General Growth Properties
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

You can invest in me! I offer a 10% return every DAY! No, this is not to good to be true. THIS IS THE TRUTH! I started a new company named MIMI(Madoff Is My Idol) Holdings. All real talk!

On a serious note, If you can I would hold out and see what happens, we will know for sure by the end of this quarter which way we are going. If life as we know it goes the way of the dodo then I would see what companies fail and see what companies are going to come up and replace them. - Not Investment Advice.

Talk about making bank.

@Hx3

That isn't good, time is not on their side. Question is will it start a chain reaction. That is a pretty big company to fail.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

You are going to die laughing but "Mimi" is my nickname,LOLROF!

What BETTER to invest in???

I think your company has the makings of greatness.

I hear you on holding off: I have a property I'd like to buy as well and that's in limbo too.

We shall endeavor to enlighten and entertain ourselves here in the meantime?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I think we chatted a bit about them the other day???

I don't think they will hold.
In San Antonio the commercial vacancies are staggering and we're doing "well down here so they say! My friend in NY who sits on a town-board there told him a popular mall Upstate will have 30 vacancies by June with no new tenants.
That's huge.
The commercial holdings are going down IMO..."She's gonna blow Captain!!!"

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Press Releases

General Growth Announces Extension of Expiration Date of TRCLP Bond Consent Solicitation
www.ggp.com...

GGP INFORMATION
General Growth Properties, Inc. is a U.S.-based, publicly traded Real Estate Investment Trust. The Company currently has an ownership interest in or management responsibility for more than 200 regional shopping malls in 44 states, as well as ownership in master planned community developments and commercial office buildings. The Company portfolio totals approximately 200 million square feet of retail space and includes more than 24,000 retail stores nationwide. The Company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol GGP.

FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS
This press release contains forward-looking statements. Actual results may differ materially from the results suggested by these forward-looking statements for a number of reasons, including, but not limited to, a potential bankruptcy filing, our ability to refinance, extend or repay our near and intermediate term debt, our substantial level of indebtedness and interest rates, retail and credit market conditions, impairments, land sales in the Master Planned Communities segment, the cost and success of development and re-development projects and our ability to successfully manage our strategic and financial review and our liquidity demands. Readers are referred to the documents filed by General Growth Properties, Inc. with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which further identify the important risk factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from the forward-looking statements in this release. The Company disclaims any obligation to update any forward-looking statements.

This press release is not an offer of securities for sale or an offer to purchase securities or a solicitation of consents. The consent solicitation is being made by means of a Consent Solicitation Statement that may be obtained by contacting Financial Balloting Group LLC, which is acting as the Information Agent for the Consent Solicitation at (646) 282-1800.
More at Link...

Sounds pretty sad...

GGP $0.69 Change:-0.01 -1.43% Volume:9,007,669
Pre-Market After Hours $0.67 Change: -0.03 -3.62% Volume: 20,196

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Just because the name of my new company is your nickname I will extend the offer of 50% partnership. First thing we have to do though is buy a private island with funds from a private offshore account so nobody knows where it is.

If I continue on with luck like that I might bet the house after all!

That is great, we learn something new everyday.That definitely goes down as the laugh of the day.

Yes we shall, as long as we have internet we will entertain ourselves and continue our quest for enlightenment.

After all they can't tax our sense of humor or our knowledge, well at least not yet for that last one.

top topics

<< 179  180  181    183  184  185 >>

join