It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 178
<< 175  176  177    179  180  181 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donny 4 million

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.

I would suggest that unsuccessful men without talent might be just a tad bit more common.

Dow 7,816.80 +156.83 +2.05%
Nasdaq 1,542.13 +25.61 +1.69%
S&P 500 820.58 +14.33 +1.78%
30-yr Bond 3.6910% +0.0850
NYSE Volume 3,132,883,500
Nasdaq Volume 873,311,880

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Here are the results of the Fed's Treasury purchase today

Amount Bought: $7.5 Bln
Total Par Amount Submitted: $21.937 Bln

Security Type -- Security - Coupon Rate - Maturity --- Value
Treasurys ------ Notes ---- 2.625 -- 2016-02-29 - $2.836 Bln
Treasurys Bonds 7.250 2016-05-15 $115 Mln
Treasurys Notes 4.875 2016-08-15 $1.031 Bln
Treasurys Bonds 7.500 2016-11-15 $147 Mln
Treasurys Notes 4.625 2016-11-15 $739 Mln
Treasurys Notes 4.625 2017-02-15 $35 Mln
Treasurys Bonds 8.750 2017-05-15 $238 Mln
Treasurys Notes 4.500 2017-05-15 $950 Mln
Treasurys Notes 4.750 2017-08-15 $702 Mln
Treasurys Bonds 8.875 2017-08-15 $159 Mln
Treasurys Notes 4.250 2017-11-15 $0
Treasurys Notes 3.500 2018-02-15 $0
Treasurys Bonds 9.125 2018-05-15 $23 Mln
Treasurys Notes 3.875 2018-05-15 $0
Treasurys Notes 4.000 2018-08-15 $0
Treasurys Bonds 9.000 2018-11-15 $193 Mln
Treasurys Notes 3.750 2018-11-15 $0
Treasurys Notes 2.750 2019-02-15 $0
Treasurys Bonds 8.875 2019-02-15 $332 Mln
Treasurys Notes 5.125 2016-05-15 $0
(Data was provided by the New York Federal Reserve Bank).

If you missed FRONTLINE last night on PBS, you can watch it here. The title for this week's show was "Ten Trillion and Counting." There lead in...

The journey begins as FRONTLINE correspondent Forrest Sawyer takes viewers to a secret location: the Treasury's debt auction room, where the U.S. government sells securities backed by the "full faith and credit of the United States." On this day, the government is auctioning $67 billion of Treasury securities. The money borrowed will be used to fund services and programs that the government cannot pay for through tax revenues alone.

Observers warn that the United States' reliance on borrowing to fund essential programs is a dangerous gamble. For the first time, investors are beginning to question the ability of federal government to meet its growing financial obligations, and fading confidence can have dire consequences. "You might have a situation where there is one day when the government says we need to sell several billion dollars of bonds, and nobody shows," Economist reporter Greg Ip tells FRONTLINE. "No money to pay the Social Security checks, no money to give to the states for their Medicaid programs. Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut."

Yet more borrowing is exactly what the Obama administration plans to do: hundreds of billions to bail out the banks and other financial institutions; tens of billions more for the auto industry; $275 billion for homeowners and mortgage lenders; and a giant $787 billion stimulus package to jump-start an economy spiraling downward. Just like the Bush administration before it, Obama and his team are going to borrow big.

"That's the paradox of the situation that we're in now," observes Matt Miller, author of The Tyranny of Dead Ideas. "Government has got to run big deficits to stimulate the economy, deficits that would have been unthinkable ... because government's the only entity with the wherewithal to prop up a demand in the economy when businesses and consumers are all pulling back."

[edit on 3/25/09 by redhatty]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

I feel your pain
But
Are you saying there is no room here for optimistic views?
Would you ban even the smallest hopeful news?
The green goblins can do you no harm.
Well, unless you are way short.
Dow- +171.8

[edit on 25-3-2009 by Donny 4 million]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I feel your pain
But
Are you saying there is no room here for optimistic views?
Would you ban even the smallest hopeful news?
The green goblins can do you no harm.
Well, unless you are way short.
Dow- +171.8

[edit on 25-3-2009 by Donny 4 million]

Not at all, optimistic views are welcome, all we ask is that you support those views with facts, news reports, even blog commentary.

Facts have value, opinions not so much.

So if you see something that gives you optimism, post what is was that you saw, and if it does not clearly explain why it gives you optimism, then add your comments to explain your view

That's how ATS works

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Long day at the gym today but sticking my head in to wave...will endeavor to make my little charts larger next time,I'm still figuring it out,LOL!

I just had an email from someone who is "in the know",can't go into detail because of his position but he's not liking the "feeling" he's getting either so I guess my point would be that at least it affords us some comfort to know that others share the same fears and hopes here?

He was also telling me about a "milk shortage" in NY State and that the dairy farmers have a HUGE surplus no one is buying/it's so cheap and they are having to quit business because of it...I remember the last subsidy-go-around where they were DUMPING thousands of gallons of milk so this seems very odd.
This to me is a real "sign" of what's to come,maybe even more so than "numbers?"
Will be back for happy hour I hope,play nice!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Call for Help: Postal chief says agency crashing

Call for Help: Postal chief says agency crashing 50 minutes ago WASHINGTON (AP) — Postmaster General John Potter said Wednesday the financially strapped U.S. Postal Service will run out of money this year without help from Congress. The only lingering question, Potter told a House subcommittee, is which bills will get paid and which will not. He did say ensuring the payment of workers' salaries comes first. But Potter also said other bills may have to wait. Potter's appearance came as the agency, which has lived on a reputation of serving through wind, rain and all sorts of obstacles, seeks permission to reduce mail delivery to five days a week. It also wants to change the way retiree health benefits are amassed to save money. "We are facing losses of historic proportion," he said. "Our situation is critical."

www.google.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I can handle that.
By the way, since this is a conspiracy site do you think it would be possible for a mob of disgrunteld folks to get together and commandeer a thread to spread thier adgenda?
I will start looking for some news to post in the positive spirit.
Whilst I look, I suggest turning on or reading todays media. It is loaded with it.
Look for an after lunch rally!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Ivan Ivanovich do you not read "Pravda" ("The Truth")?

U.S. sales of newly constructed housing jump nearly 5%, bouncing back from January's record low.

Stocks surge as waves of U.S. economic data — featuring durable-goods orders shock and new-home-sales pickup — inspire recovery hopes.

President Obama faced a "High Noon" moment Tuesday night, says Jon Friedman, and how he responded reveals how much he's learned about managing the media.

Yeah, he did

Secretary General continues:

With his staff looking on as the president delivered his remarks in the East Room of the White House, Obama told Americans that with jobs, interest rates and lending, glimmers of hope appear on the horizon.

"We're beginning to see signs of progress," he said.

Obama said he supports Geithner's push to seize financial institutions whose failure would pose serious risks to the U.S. financial system.

"Keep in mind that it is precisely because of the lack of this authority that the AIG situation has gotten worse," Obama said, referring to the troubled insurance giant.

"I am glad to see progress has been made in adult stem cells, and if the science determines that we can completely avoid a set of ethical questions or political dispute -- then that's great. I have no investment in causing controversy," Obama said, adding, "What I don't want to do is predetermine this based on a very rigid ideological approach, and that's what I think is reflected in the executive order that I signed."

Even our scientists can determine "that we can completely avoid a set of ethical questions"...

Get optimistic, read "Pravda"!!!

[edit on 25-3-2009 by DangerDeath]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

By the way, since this is a conspiracy site do you think it would be possible for a mob of disgrunteld folks to get together and commandeer a thread to spread thier adgenda?

Considering the 1000's of threads on this forum, I am quite sure that you will find like minds in many threads.

I'll even bet you can find a thread that thinks that there is a lot of positive news regarding our economy.

The challenge is, will you find fact and not just opinion in those threads

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
looks like traders are not expecting the rally to last. We've had Huge Volume on April Spy 720 Puts. 192,334 today. And that is in addition to the Open Int. of 111,668.

As to the UK's attempts at QE, BOE Competitive Reverse Auction BTC 1.40, GBP4.9018B offer total.

The BOE was attempting to BUY BACK their bonds, and people would NOT SELL

This is a signal that the expectations are for deflation

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Donny 4 million

since this is a conspiracy site do you think it would be possible for a mob of disgruntled folks to get together and commandeer a thread to spread their agenda?

Nothing to stop them in theory. In practice a very active thread like this has easily enough knowledgeable posters to expose any agenda merchants.

The difference between an agenda-led discussion and one that is balanced is that with the former opinion far outweighs evidence; with the latter the forum is open to evidence from any angle and commentary focusses on the reliability and significance of the evidence.

In this thread I consistently see the latter. There have actually been complaints about the amount of links posted!

Those who regard the recent rally as the end to the economic woes, or at least the beginning of the end, have been welcomed. But at the same time one or two of that persuasion have been hounded when they have avoided engaging in direct, meaningful debate - and I would say quite rightly so. They have simply not been permitted to pull the wool over people's eyes, as they have not been able to present evidence that the rally has been based on changes in the fundamentals of the economy.

Anyone who can do that will not only be welcomed, they will be highly commended and bring some much-wanted cheer. The thread is about the reality, not doom and gloom.

I will start looking for some news to post in the positive spirit.

If you consistently come up trumps you'll gain a lot of respect. But be prepared to have your evidence challenged and/or put in the context of the overall picture.

...And please do exactly the same to all who present evidence of impending implosion!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty

"Considering the 1000's of threads on this forum, I am quite sure that you will find like minds in many threads."

True enough, and within the ATS rules. But suppose they were using that thread for personal gain.

"The challenge is, will you find fact and not just opinion in those threads "

Posting regurgitated news print is just some reporters opinion.
Like Cramer or the Limbaugh. With the lies and schemes that have permiated the news and media how can you or anyone else consider it fact. We are left with only opinion and hind site.

Man those traders must have eaten something to upset their stomachs
Dow +51.77

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Can anyone tell me what time the Auction was?
Oh...never mind I think I figured it out...

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Fresh off the wires, no link yet...

13:36 WFC Wells Fargo: Moody's lowers Wells Fargo (snr to A1 from Aa3) (16.23 +0.73)

Moody's Investors Service lowered the senior debt rating of Wells Fargo & Company (Wells Fargo) to A1 from Aa3, the senior subordinated debt rating to A2 from A1, and the junior subordinated debt rating to A3 from A1. The preferred stock rating was downgraded to B2 from A2. Wells Fargo's short-term rating was affirmed at Prime-1. Wells Fargo Bank N.A.'s rating for deposits was lowered to Aa2 from Aa1, and its Prime-1 short-term rating was affirmed. Moody's bank financial strength rating (BFSR) on Wells Fargo Bank N.A. was lowered to D+ from B. All ratings have a stable outlook except for the BFSR and preferred stock rating where the outlook is "developing". These actions conclude a review for possible downgrade that commenced on March 4, 2009... "The downgrades of the BFSR and the preferred stock ratings reflect Moody's view that Wells Fargo's capital ratios could come under pressure in the short-term, increasing the probability that systemic support will be needed," said Moody's Senior Vice President, Sean Jones. "The moderate downgrades of Wells Fargo's deposits, senior debt and senior subordinated debt ratings are based on Moody's expectation of very high systemic support for these instruments, and the view that such support will enable the substantial value of its franchise to materialize in the medium to long-term. Such support, however, could be potentially harmful to preferred stock investors."

13:35 BAC Bank of America folding premier banking unit into Merrill Lynch operation; shift for BofA division that served mass affluent follows layoffs last week; layoffs at BofA unit will number in the hundreds - WSJ (7.56 +0.34) -Update-

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

That spike exactly coordinated with Geithner's comment that he is "open" to a new global currency, then the reversal began...

&dist=msr_2]Treasu rys extended losses after record 5-year-note auction

Treasury prices extended losses Wednesday after the government sale of a record amount of five-year notes, as investors demand higher yields to absorb the growing amount of debt.

Notes stayed lower after the Federal Reserve bought $7.5 billion in U.S. securities, the first operation since announcing last week it intended to buy up to $300 billion and more than some traders had expected.

Yields on 10-year notes (UST10Y) , which move inversely to prices, rose 6 basis points to 2.76%. A basis point is 0.01 percentage point.

Two-year-note yields (UST2YR) rose 4 basis points to 0.97%.

The Treasury Department sold $34 billion in five-year notes to yield 1.849%, the second of three note auctions this week.

Bidders offered $2.02 for every dollar sold, compared to an average of $2.17 at the last four auctions.

Indirect bidders, a closely watched metric because it includes buying by foreign central banks, bought 30% of the monthly auction, the lowest since December.

more at link

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Cudos
I do not think, I know there are many worthy minds at work here.
I hope folks with recent interest in the market read your post before they put their foot in thier mouth like I did a while back.
You-all are perhaps correct in your thinking that I should take my marbles to the land of milk and honey.
Later all

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
OKay - rewind a sec, If all those MBS were TOXIC and the Banks needed to get them OFF the books, then how can this report have any legitimacy or justification???

DOUBLE-DIPPERS
CITI, BOFA BUYING BACK LAUNDERED LOANS AT LOWER RATES

As Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner orchestrated a plan to help the nation's largest banks purge themselves of toxic mortgage assets, Citigroup and Bank of America have been aggressively scooping up those same securities in the secondary market, sources told The Post.

Both Citi and BofA each have received $45 billion in federal rescue cash meant to help prop up the economy and jumpstart the housing market.

But the banks' purchase of so-called AAA-rated mortgage-backed securities, including some that use alt-A and option ARM as collateral, is raising eyebrows among even the most seasoned traders. Alt-A and option ARM loans have widely been seen as the next mortgage type to see increases in defaults.

One Wall Street trader told The Post that what's been most puzzling about the purchases is how aggressive both banks have been in their buying, sometimes paying higher prices than competing bidders are willing to pay.

Recently, securities rated AAA have changed hands for roughly 30 cents on the dollar, and most of the buyers have been hedge funds acting opportunistically on a bet that prices will rise over time. However, sources said Citi and BofA have trumped those bids.

The secondary market represents a key cog in the mortgage market, and serves as a platform where mortgage originators can offload mortgages in bulk that have been converted into bonds.

Yields on such securities can be as high as 22 percent, one trader noted.

BofA said its purchases of secondary-mortgage paper are part of its plans to breathe life back into the moribund securitization market.

"Our purchases in [mortgage-backed securities] increase liquidity in the mortgage market allowing people to buy a home," said BofA spokesman Scott Silvestri.

more at link

I am now pretty convinced we've been punk'd (not that I wasn't before)

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Talking about inflation...

'Doomsday' has arrived: MTA board approves $2.50 subway fare, new budget

www.nydailynews.com...

Starting May 31, the monthly MetroCard, now $81, will cost $103 and a weekly MetroCard, now $25, will cost $31. The one-way bus and subway fare will rise from $2 to $2.50, a whopping 25% increase.

About 3,000 subway and bus positions are being axed, which will mean about 1,000 layoffs, officials said.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
BAC Bank of America: Moody's lowers Bank of America (holdco snr to A2 from A1) (7.20 -0.02) -Update-

Moody's Investors Service lowered the senior debt rating of Bank of America to A2 from A1, the senior subordinated debt rating to A3 from A2, and the junior subordinated debt rating to Baa3 from A2. The preferred stock rating was downgraded to B3 from Baa1. The holding company's short-term rating was affirmed at Prime-1. The rating agency also lowered the deposit and senior debt ratings of BAC's U.S. banking subsidiaries, including Bank of America, N.A., to Aa3 from Aa2, and its subordinated debt rating to A1 from Aa3. The banks' Prime-1 short-term ratings were affirmed. Bank of America, N.A.'s bank financial strength rating (BFSR) was lowered to D from B-. Moody's Bank Financial Strength Rating (BFSR) represents Moody's opinion of a bank's intrinsic safety and soundness and, as such, excludes certain external credit support elements... The downgrades of the BFSR and the preferred stock ratings reflect Moody's view that Bank of America's capital ratios could come under pressure in the short-term, increasing the probability that systemic support will be needed. The more modest downgrades of Bank of America's deposits, senior debt and senior subordinated debt ratings are based on Moody's expectation of very high systemic support for these instruments, and the view that such support will enable the substantial value of its franchise to materialize in the medium to long-term. Such support, however, could be potentially harmful to preferred stock investors.

briefing.com

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Don't hold back KD...

Bond Market To Bernanke and Obama: F&$k You

Good luck Ben:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Stocks lost ground after a weak auction of U.S. government debt stirred worries about how easily Washington will be able to raise money to fund its economic rescue program.

Investors gave an unexpectedly cool response to a $24 billion auction of 5-year Treasury notes Wednesday, which also sent prices for Treasurys lower.

You wouldn't think that would happen on the day that Ben came into the market to buy Treasuries, but it did. Ben had roughly three times the amount he took submitted to him: SOLD TO YOU BEN, and oh by the way, we're not interested in buying any more of this trash either!

Worse, indirect bidders (foreign interest) has essentially collapsed, down by some 50% from last month.

As if that's not bad enough the BOE (England) actually had a failed Gilt auction, with insufficient bids for the amount pushed out.

That's coming to America and soon Ben.

I and a few other astute people who actually believe the market is bigger than any loudmouth with a title (like Bernanke) tried to warn both him and our President that neither of them are capable of forcing people to buy that which they do not wish to buy or fund.

Well Ben?

When I wrote my Ticker from this morning, which I actually penned last night, I had no clue that the first piece of this dislocation was going to happen today.

It did.

Ben came into the market and bought Treasuries today, and in response yields moved.... up?

Oh, and the stock market sold off hard too, down some three hundred DOW points from where it was before these bond "operations."

A blunt, clear warning was issued by the market today Mr. President and Mr. Fed:

Cut that crap about "borrow and spend", along with playing "circle jerk" and "I'm gonna threaten to print money!" out right here and now, or run the risk of the Treasury market imploding in your face, taking what is left of the American economy and our capital markets with it.

Are you listening to investors both here and abroad Mr. Obama and Mr. Bernanke?

You can't force China, Japan and Saudi Arabia to buy our debt. You can only ask, and the results of the bond auction today makes clear that their answer so far can best be described as "Bite Me!"

new topics

top topics

<< 175  176  177    179  180  181 >>

join