It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 131
<< 128  129  130    132  133  134 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Now to my baby girl..

And perhaps my SHORT OF THE CENTURY.. but read on please

Dear Short Sellers,

You did so well at destroying banks and equity, now soon, you too may feel the wrath of 1000 lashes of a bull's tongue.

Live by the sword, die by the sword, and I feel like a sword fight

If you see this under 117.... TIIIMMMMBEEEERRRRRRRR

Take a look, last time this ran up it hit 117.. I think it goes there again, if it quick breaks that - definately goes to 99 and if MtM is the thing I am hearing we have been looking for.. well

YIKES!!!!!!!!!

Remember guys, as my "loving counterpart" redhatty commented and I have previously stated - I do not give advice, just "up to the minute market data"!!!!!!

Succulent SKF - As of Close Mar 17

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Nikkei 225 7,950.54 10:00PM ET Up 1.41 (0.02%)
NZSE 50 2,600.89 10:19PM ET Up 36.17 (1.41%)
Straits Times 1,577.57 10:40PM ET Up 18.54 (1.19%)
Shanghai Composite 2,246.76 10:24PM ET Up 28.43 (1.28%)
Hang Seng 13,153.08 10:25PM ET Up 274.99 (2.14%)

All of them are up. Wonder what is going on.

@Red

Yes, the ignore button is very nice.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
reply to post by marg6043

Yeah - I posted about that "super-currency" a few days back in this thread

scary how we are slowing being corralled into a one world currency no matter how we try to fight it, isn't it?

Oh heaven - I just learned how wonderful the IGNORE button can be

Oh redhatty, why hate my short term outlooks on the market with my charting?

Is it because I am winning, and the USA isnt crashing...

Oh well.. you can ignore me, but you cant ignore market trends

Till we meet again!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
Hold the phone folks, NASDAQ coming back like a freight train

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the look of the ten year old virgin QQQQ

Take a look, just BROKE and CLOSED over my resistance...

*Breakout City*

Could be a real heavy hitter and if its an indication NASDAQ straight follows suit

QQQQ Powershares Close of March 17 - Meeeoooww

Hope you are right. Bought a boatload of 30 march calls this am @$.08. Will dump them in the am if markets open up. Tried to get $.20 at the close but they didn't fill me.

I don't think there is much resistance on the way up as most people were selling at these levels. Could bring a bunch of short covering though as positions are starting to go underwater. A break through the 810 level will bring 850 pretty quickly.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

On SKF. Why not go long UYG instead?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I am sure you are on a delay for that Nikkei ticker.

Try this link for a live feed, no delay

they are just came back out from negative to +1.41

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Thanks!

That is much better, it is sushi power hour of there right now though. At least they have a positive to come back too.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Grassley led the stampede with a statement Monday night on a radio show that AIG executives should either return the money or commit suicide in what he described as the Japanese style of taking responsibility.

news.yahoo.com...

Comedy . . .

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

Good Play, looks like we share the same thoughts..

I keep trying to convince my dad to buy me (sounds good right? lol) MAR 2.50 CITI Calls.... he's not doing it..

Cant really say sh*t though, he owns me ahhahaha

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
NJ sues Lehman execs for fraud to recoup state funds

The state of New Jersey on Tuesday sued Lehman Brothers (LEHMQ.PK) executives and directors for "fraud and misrepresentation," Gov. Jon Corzine said, seeking to recover the $118 million lost by state pension funds.

New Jersey's Division of Investment bought $182 million of Lehman securities in April and June 2008. The move attracted widespread attention since it was unusual for a U.S. state pension fund to use the same strategy as sovereign wealth funds, hedge funds and private equity groups.

Lehman filed for bankruptcy on September 15, 2008, after failing to win a federal bailout. This left "shareholders with virtually worthless stock," said the Democratic governor who is running for another term.

The bankruptcy means the state cannot now sue the company, but New Jersey said it sued nine top executives, including former Chairman Richard Fuld, and nine board members, including John Akers and Henry Kaufman. Lehman paid each board member $325,000 to $397,000 in fiscal 2007, the statement said,

Corzine, a Democrat and former Goldman Sachs (GS.N) co-chairman, said in a statement the state also sued Lehman Brothers' longtime accountants, Ernst & Young, for letting the firm "improperly account for and disclose its true financial condition."

For months, Republicans have faulted Corzine for the state's loss on its Lehman stake. On Tuesday, state Senator Joseph Pennacchio said the governor should explain why the council overseeing investment policy failed to block the purchase.

Noting three former Lehman officials and the wife of a former Lehman executive serve on the investment council, the Republican state senator said in a statement: "It is not unreasonable to ask why board members, two of whom were working for Lehman at the time of the bank's collapse, didn't have more to say about this investment."

more at link

You know - more and more between Lehman and AIG everything keeps going back to Goldman Sachs.

Eliot Spitzer agrees

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Im long FAS, Ive never tracked UYG, but as I said back about several million pages ago it feel like, I can read SKF like a book (but more or less intraday trades) but I love the action in this thing

I have to say, if you can be addicted to the market, thats me. That could explain my sports gambling habit as well lol

[edit on 17-3-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Oh and btw, thanks for noticing my posts..

No one else talks to me except for P4T...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Come on, this market is so easy!!!

I already said it.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by UnitedSatesofFreemasons

Looks like we have 2-3 on board on this thread...

Im not calling a total market bottom, but it was pretty obvious we were going to see a huge reversal last week...

I love it, everyone is so negative.. what does that mean?

GO THE OTHER WAY

Kudos to you sir, whats your thought on my latest charts?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The daily numbers are staggering in my opinion..
(and of course this is not all of them)

It is just unbelievable that this many people
are not working - (not including many of the countries affected by the domino effect) Staggering.

LAYOFF DAILY
Tue 3-17-2009

Ramtron -17%
HiRel Systems Closing Plant -50
Food Word -431
Road Home Program -500
More Layoffs At American Funds
Garlock Cuts Again -17
WestPoint Home Inc. -12
Resurrection Healthcare -125
Stanley Tools -36
Canadian Broadcasting Corp. Up To -1,200
GE Healthcare -175
University Of Maine Layoffs Inevitable

Layoffs Coming To MySpace
money.cnn.com...

Caterpillar Update -2,454
Panasonic -130
Potash Corp. -940
Trail King Trailers -75
Caterpillar Engine Plant -439
Caterpillar Closing Fuel Facility -89
Blue Cross Blue Shield Of MI -1,000
Nokia -1,700
Taylor Made Closing FL Plant -24
Wilton Armetale Co. Closed -15
Ramtex Closing Plant -205
Paper and Printing Companies On The Ropes
Food Co. Kings Delight Closing Plant -78
Catawissa Closing Plant -100
2 More Auto Suppliers Close Plants -80
Texas Hydraulics -117
West Aurora School District -169
The Body Shop -18
Zambia Copper Mine -1,321
Clarksville Gas and Water -22
Harris Interactive -90
Smurfit Stone Container -83
TRW Cutting More -42
Merillat -35 Merkle Inc. -34
Corning Cable Systems -200
News Tribune In Tacoma -30
Caterpillar In Pontiac Rolling Layoffs -40
Scopus Video Networks -100
Applied Materials In Austin -50
Getty Images -110
Hawker Beechcraft In Salina KS -41
The Olympian -15

HIRING
Mutual Of Omaha +100

[edit on 17-3-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Goldman's share of AIG bailout money draws fire

NEW YORK (Reuters) - American International Group(AIG.N) funneled over $90 billion of taxpayer bailout funds to various U.S. and European banks, but the biggest beneficiary was politically connected Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS.N).

Suspicions of potential conflicts of interest and favoritism have been fueled by $12.9 billion AIG paid to Goldman Sachs -- where then-Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson had previously worked as chief executive -- in the months after the insurer was rescued by the government last September.

Goldman, for its part, has insisted it did not need the bailout money because it was "always fully collateralized and hedged."

Long Wall Street's largest investment bank before it recently became a bank holding company, Goldman answered a series of questions from Reuters about the bailout funds.

"We can say that our notional exposure to AIG is a fraction of what it was at the time of the September bailout," Goldman spokesman Michael DuVally said.

Asked why Goldman Sachs took $12.9 billion of taxpayer money if it was collateralized and hedged on its AIG positions, DuVally said it was because AIG was not allowed to fail, so Goldman did not get money from hedges that would have paid out if the insurer had collapsed. And, he said, under the terms of its contracts with AIG, Goldman was entitled to collateral.

DuVally also said the bank does extensive due diligence on all its counterparties.

How much Goldman and other counterparties received from AIG has been just one of several flashpoints over the taxpayer rescue of what was once the world's largest insurer.

AIG has also infuriated politicians -- including U.S. President Barack Obama -- with its plan to pay $165 million in bonuses to employees at the unit at the heart of its problems.

Still, the payments to counterparties like Goldman Sachs dwarfed the bonuses, and some experts contend that these companies should have been made to share some of the losses resulting from the giant insurance firm's near collapse.

"People see that the guys that ruined AIG are getting paid more money, and that creates outrage," said Porter Stansberry, managing director of Stansberry & Associates Investment Research. "If you want to be outraged, be outraged that the counterparties got paid out full value."

Goldman was not the only large bank with exposure to AIG. The list of counterparties that AIG disclosed on Sunday included others that got large sums. Goldman was followed by Societe Generale (SOGN.PA) with $11.9 billion, Deutsche Bank (DBKGn.DE) with $11.8 billion and Barclays PLC (BARC.L) with $8.5 billion.

Full story at link

once again, it goes back to Goldman Sachs

Glenn Beck has an interesting perspective on it all

[edit on 3/17/09 by redhatty]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

No one else can see through the trees.

Do you realize that the markets went up 133% from Apr 1, 1932- Apr. 1, 1933. Most people don't. Do you know what caused it? FDR rolled out the New Deal, similar to what Obama is doing. If Hoover had taken these steps it would have all ended much sooner. 1932 and 1933 were the worst years of the great depression and stocks went up 133%. Just goes to show you the state of the economy is not the only thing that determines stock prices.

This and the next year are the worst years of the Great Depression. For 1932, GNP falls a record 13.4 percent; unemployment rises to 23.6 percent.
Industrial stocks have lost 80 percent of their value since 1930.
10,000 banks have failed since 1929, or 40 percent of the 1929 total.
GNP has also fallen 31 percent since 1929.
Over 13 million Americans have lost their jobs since 1929.
International trade has fallen by two-thirds since 1929.
Congress passes the Federal Home Loan Bank Act and the Glass-Steagall Act of 1932.
Top tax rate is raised from 25 to 63 percent.
Popular opinion considers Hoover's measures too little too late. Franklin Roosevelt easily defeats Hoover in the fall election. Democrats win control of Congress.
Roosevelt inaugurated; begins 'First 100 Days'; of intensive legislative activity.
A third banking panic occurs in March. Roosevelt declares a Bank Holiday; closes financial institutions to stop a run on banks.
Alarmed by Roosevelt's plan to redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor, a group of millionaire businessmen, led by the Du Pont and J.P. Morgan empires, plans to overthrow Roosevelt with a military coup and install a fascist government modelled after Mussolini's regime in Italy. The businessmen try to recruit General Smedley Butler, promising him an army of 500,000, unlimited financial backing and generous media spin control. The plot is foiled when Butler reports it to Congress.
Congress authorizes creation of the Agricultural Adjustment Administration, the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Farm Credit Administration, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Federal Emergency Relief Administration, the National Recovery Administration, the Public Works Administration and the Tennessee Valley Authority.
Congress passes the Emergency Banking Bill, the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933, the Farm Credit Act, the National Industrial Recovery Act and the Truth-in-Securities Act.
Roosevelt does much to redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor, but is concerned with a balanced budget. He later rejects Keynes' advice to begin heavy deficit spending.
The free fall of the GNP is significantly slowed; it dips only 2.1 percent this year. Unemployment rises slightly, to 24.9 percent.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by disgustedbyhumanity

No one else can see through the trees.

Do you realize that the markets went up 133% from Apr 1, 1932- Apr. 1, 1933. Most people don't. Do you know what caused it? FDR rolled out the New Deal, similar to what Obama is doing. If Hoover had taken these steps it would have all ended much sooner. 1932 and 1933 were the worst years of the great depression and stocks went up 133%. Just goes to show you the state of the economy is not the only thing that determines stock prices.

This and the next year are the worst years of the Great Depression. For 1932, GNP falls a record 13.4 percent; unemployment rises to 23.6 percent.
Industrial stocks have lost 80 percent of their value since 1930.
10,000 banks have failed since 1929, or 40 percent of the 1929 total.
GNP has also fallen 31 percent since 1929.
Over 13 million Americans have lost their jobs since 1929.
International trade has fallen by two-thirds since 1929.
Congress passes the Federal Home Loan Bank Act and the Glass-Steagall Act of 1932.
Top tax rate is raised from 25 to 63 percent.
Popular opinion considers Hoover's measures too little too late. Franklin Roosevelt easily defeats Hoover in the fall election. Democrats win control of Congress.
Roosevelt inaugurated; begins 'First 100 Days'; of intensive legislative activity.
A third banking panic occurs in March. Roosevelt declares a Bank Holiday; closes financial institutions to stop a run on banks.
Alarmed by Roosevelt's plan to redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor, a group of millionaire businessmen, led by the Du Pont and J.P. Morgan empires, plans to overthrow Roosevelt with a military coup and install a fascist government modelled after Mussolini's regime in Italy. The businessmen try to recruit General Smedley Butler, promising him an army of 500,000, unlimited financial backing and generous media spin control. The plot is foiled when Butler reports it to Congress.
Congress authorizes creation of the Agricultural Adjustment Administration, the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Farm Credit Administration, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Federal Emergency Relief Administration, the National Recovery Administration, the Public Works Administration and the Tennessee Valley Authority.
Congress passes the Emergency Banking Bill, the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933, the Farm Credit Act, the National Industrial Recovery Act and the Truth-in-Securities Act.
Roosevelt does much to redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor, but is concerned with a balanced budget. He later rejects Keynes' advice to begin heavy deficit spending.
The free fall of the GNP is significantly slowed; it dips only 2.1 percent this year. Unemployment rises slightly, to 24.9 percent.

I like the part about stocks going up 133%

I think there are a few that have doubled that so far..

I look at it this way, and I think everyone else should too

CITI and BAC are NOT and I repeat NOT AIG

They have already been deemed too big to fail!!

If you believe in the USA, you might as well buy CITI and BAC - because if USA goes down, so do you anyways, and if USA keeps afloat (which we will) you will gain with the USA..

Take it or leave it, its all right there

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Up and coming economic and corporate data that may move markets this week:

Wed
07:00am EST -MBA Purchase
08:30am EST -CPI - Consumer Price Index
10:30am EST -EIA Petroleum
02:15pm EST -FOMC Meeting Announcment
Reporting earnings today: ATU, CEDU, CLC, DRI, GIS, IHS, IS, LUB, NEWT, NKE, ORCL, SMTS, WBD

Thursday
08:30am EST -Jobless Claims
10:00am EST -Leading Indicators
10:00am EST -Philadelphia Fed Survey
10:30am EST -EIA Natural Gas Report
Reporting earnings today: COMS, ALOY, BKS, BBI, BNE, CPWM, DFS, EGT, GNC, PALM, PUK, SCHI, CTR, PLCE, TNP, TKTM WGO,

Friday
08:30am EST -Quadruple Witching
12:00pm EST -Ben Bernanke Speaks
Reporting earnings today: ELP, KIRK, RAMS

Wonder if we will see a reaction in the market to this news

World Bank cuts China 2009 GDP forecast to 6.5 percent

[edit on 3/17/09 by redhatty]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Hey man seriously, stop calling specific stocks.. you are not a licensed adviser for such advise, and I am afraid you may be unknowing that without being licensed you cannot solicit assistance of any kind regarding your "calls". Such as "u2u me for this info" such and such. Once again, I remind you kindly, that this is is Market In General.. we do not advocate professional advice on any level, especially from unlicensed individuals like your self.

So please, stay away from personal investments, personal opinions regarding specific stocks and your personal opinions as to when one should buy or sell those stocks. Believe me, it is for your own good, as well as respecting the T&C of this board.

This is NOT a ticker board.

top topics

<< 128  129  130    132  133  134 >>

join