It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 10 Biggest Differences Between Obama and McCain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
www.alternet.org...

When the polls open in 18 days, voters will be faced with a stark choice in presidential candidates -- a choice that ultimately comes down to one question: What do you want the next four to eight years of your life to look like? Because the next president will shape the issues that affect the way we live our day-to-day lives.

The future of Social Security, health care, education, income, employment, civil rights and democracy itself all hang in the balance. And the two candidates are worlds apart in their visions for the country.

From the fate of the Supreme Court to the future of Internet access, here are the 10 most important differences between Sens. Barack Obama and John McCain.

1. Who They Want to Tax
2. How They Would Shape the Supreme Court
3. How They View Democracy
4. How They Want to Change the Health Care System
5. Their Plans for Iraq
6. Their Views on Energy
7. How They Treat Our Vets
8. What They Think America's Young People Should Know About Sex
9. Internet Access
10. Their Views on the Global Market

Please take the time to read the article, it is an important primer and we cannot have a serious discussion without some knowledge of the issues at hand.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-10-2008 by grover]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Yes Yes I know there are those who will totally discount this thread because the source is from a "liberal" website. Big deal... regardless of the source (unless all you want to do is read things that agree with your predetermined positions) the issues are the same and it is those issues and the differences between the candidates that we need to be discussing not William Ayers or the number of McCain's houses.

Without a clear picture of what we are voting for, how can we make an informed decision?

www.alternet.org...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-10-2008 by grover]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
My question is ... are those the 10 biggest differences RIGHT NOW, or will that be tomorrow, or was it at the time it was written.

Both of them, but more blatantly McCain as of late, contradict themselves constantly. The last few times I have watched McCain, he literally seems to be in a debate with himself. Quite scary.

I think we should call this whole thing a scratch and just stick Ron Paul in immediately.. without delay
haha

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Come on people lets discuss the issues instead of the smears... I have already posted 2 threads in which I tried my best to be fair. They were:

McCain's 10 Worst Ideas
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and

Obama's 10 Worst Ideas
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Neither of which has gotten a lot of traffic... How can we deny ignorance when we refuse to educate ourselves?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

The problem you are running into is that people are not sure what side of the issues either of these guys stand on. It is constantly changing and this is why you see the ridiculous amount of smear tactics because it really is all that is left to divide these two candidates.

At this point, anyone who can't clearly see that these men are nothing more than bodies with TOO MANY opinions thrown into their little heads, has not been paying close attention. The debates have become INCREDIBLY revealing of the problems facing a society with toooo many opinions trying to be smashed into one. The men don't even answer the questions anymore... they just throw out some random numbers, a bunch of big fancy (even sometimes "made up") words that when listened to carefully, are NOT offering solutions, but are just fancy ways of rewording our situations.

THERE IS NO CHOICE... we need CHANGE!! no more illusions of change. One wants to control the world around us and one wants to control us. Both are offering to secure and bubble wrap us and neither have the ability to do so. They know it and it is evident they know it.

Problem is, WE KNOW it (hence the reason for the joke that this election has become), but can't admit it due to fear of change. We lack the courage to forge ourselves a brand new path that is completely different from what those before us tried. We have the power to do so.. to make a change for OUR future generations. Just too many babies in this country who are pretending to be the "grown ups" that they were taught to be. Always conforming and behaving and accepting.

Change will only happen NOW!! If it cannot happen NOW, it will NEVER happen. Tomorrow is an illusion of promises that can never be fulfilled... that is the trap used to keep you from realizing that in this moment, you are free as is EVERYONE else. You are never secure, which is why these issues are worthless talking points.

Look at where we are now.. still alive. THIS is what matters. All solutions from this point out should not be discussed by those whose motivation is $$ and/or power. It should be discussed by us, the people.. WITHOUT waiting for consent from those we assumed had the power. They do not.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

The 10 Biggest Differences Between Obama and McCain

Grover,

You know I just can't resist 'lists' ....

I believe that the appropriate answer to the posited question should have taken the form

1. they are of different races
2. they are of different generations (ages)
3. they wear different clothes
4. they are married to different women

etc... because these are the things mark the differences between the two men.

But the list:

1. Who They Want to Tax
2. How They Would Shape the Supreme Court
3. How They View Democracy
4. How They Want to Change the Health Care System
5. Their Plans for Iraq
6. Their Views on Energy
7. How They Treat Our Vets
8. What They Think America's Young People Should Know About Sex
9. Internet Access
10. Their Views on the Global Market

Is about policies that NEITHER of them is likely to have 'thought up' or 'have any say on'. And most Americans should be aware of that fact.

1. Our tax policies are the domain of the Fed. Ultimately, federal taxes are solely for their benefit - to service the national debt we incurred through 'public' spending (
). Who gets taxed and how much is actually a function of what we (the people) owe. Whatever plans they propose are hardly the result of their own intellect. Politicians merely 'present' the plan and put their celebrity face on it. Ultimately, the plans they present are only 'plans' - we shall see how they play out in reality once the process of compromise and lobbying has it's moment to affect the outcome. Besides, the source of plan A and plan B is probably the same.

2. In my opinion the Supreme Court should be reseated every 14 years (just like the renewing of the Fed's charter). The only presidential focus on this came from a core of ideologues who have accomplished much in reducing the effective value of this 'check' on the system. Each of them can look forward to what? 2 maybe three justices changing seats? With the deck already stacked, it seems unlikely that this will enter the realm of 'radical change' from what we've seen thus far. I believe that it won't make a bit of difference to the American people unless they really find another method - outside the political - to determine the makeup of the supreme judicial authority of the land.

3. Democracy is a subject. One's 'view' of it, or opinion is not relevant to what 'it' is. Further, consider this. The office they seek is one of public service. Should their personal feelings become more relevant than those of the people of this country (we have seen where that can lead)? Both are cut from the same politician's cloth. We know that they 'speak' to whomever is listening to increase their acceptance and popularity. What do we really know about what they 'think' of Democracy, if anything at all. Remember the tired quote from President Bush "... [the US Constitution] is just a God damned piece of paper". Do you think that would have made a difference had he said it before the his election? Yet everyone could have anticipated his claiming to love and 'support Democracy. Even though we aren't one. We are a Constitutional Republic (I know you know that already).

4. Health Care is NOT a system. It is a business. That iron-clad foundation is the core of the problem. Both believe that profit has a place in the medical care of human beings and the control of access to it. What possible difference does it make? We must recognize that not everything, including this nation, can be run like a business. No genuine 'care' is represented in any process that involves considering the restoration of good health as a 'cost' instead of a guarantee.

5. Iraq. Come on people. The entire legislative, political, and diplomatic effort of the last years has been devoted to ensuring that we are NEVER actually leaving Iraq! Frankly, I can;t imagine how people can't see that plainly when both of the 'major' candidates have continued to directly asserting we will 'have a presence' in Iraq. The disposition of armed forces is now part and parcel with the economic empire building paradigm - to which BOTH of these men adhere.

6. Essentially they differ not at all. If it is assured to make money - we will have energy. That's all. Sure we'll 'look into' research, (it's profitable) sure we'll 'explore' new sources. But in the end, it is not up to them is it? So what does it matter what 'they' want? This is the illusion that political comedy always portrays, the notion that the President can "make" things happen. The reality is the industry has more control over this than we (the people) do; if it's not profitable for them, it's not going to happen. Why do you think we don't see ALL of our 'public' facilities run on solar power? It's "too expensive" they say. Well, WHY is it 'too expensive'. Not the materials, not the labor, not the technology..., it's too expensive because the industry has priced it out of reach. Not enough profit. Not gonna happen. Their lobbyists have seen to it. And they will continue to do so; both of these candidates are on their team.

7. Veterans!???? No - this is totally bogus.

Vets' claims found in piles to be shredded

I don't even want to go there....

The only reason they even THINK of Vets' is because almost all of them vote. Once the election is done.... we don't exist as a 'national' concern.

8. The LAST thing in the world I care about is what these to socialite celebrities think about 'teen sex'. I can't abide the notion that the President's personal opinion is somehow 'more important' than the people's.

9. Again, this is the industry's domain. They will do as the corporate interests direct them. Profit is king here and we had better start accepting that reality. The industry itself will encroach as far as they can and the 'people' have no say in the matter. The President will be used to introduce whatever changes they want. Putting his face on the package. That's how politics works.

10. Both candidates are products of the same corporate regime. They own both parties, the house and the senate. We will do whatever the financial rulers want, or they will take away the president's toys. These two propagate ignorance and misconception regarding nearly all matters financial. Pick you lies, column A and column B. No substitutions!

[edit on 17-10-2008 by Maxmars]

new topics

top topics

join