It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Probe Rugby Player Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Police Probe Rugby Player Death

news.sky.com

Dan James had gone to a euthanasia clinic in Switzerland with members of his family, according to reports.

The 23-year-old was paralysed in a training session last year and died last month in the clinic.

Detective Inspector Adrian Todd from Worcestershire Police said: "A police investigation is ongoing and officers have spoken with a man and a woman in conection with the case.

A note on the Worcester coroner's website said Mr James "travelled to Switzerland with a view to ending his own life".

Mr James was a regular squad member for England Students playing either as hooker or a back row.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
When are the Government going to wake up and realise that sometimes a person's life is unbearable for them?

It appears that he went to the clinic with his parents, so it's clear to me that the people he was closest to and stood to be the most upset about the whole situation understood where he was coming from in wanting to end his life...

Imagine what it must feel like to be such a promising young sportsman and have that all taken away from you?

The government seek to control every aspect of our life as much as possible - in my view the right to choose when to die should be the one last right that we have.

This poor man's family are going to be dragged through the legal system because our government, and many before it can't see that there are some decisions only an individual can make.

The Swiss clinic will have assessed his mental state before agreeing to help with the assisted suicide. That's enough for me.

He didn't need help - he needed release - release from a life where he must have felt that everything he lived for had been snatched away.

While some may say that he would have found other interests - perhaps to a point, but none would have filled the void.

Government - Back down on this - let people have some control in their lives.

This is not your decision to make.

And as for religious anti-suicide statements - don't even bother going there.

Peace,

MGGG

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
With respect for the deceased and his family I blame ...

The 'sports is my whole life' mentality with which we indoctrinate our athletically-gifted youth.

The glamor and celebrity (and inordinate money) we dangle in front of young people, like a carrot on a stick, makes them lose perspective.

Many think that a life of chasing a ball, or sweating in personal competition is ultimately fulfilling. But is it really?

In the end the glamorization of individual physical achievement has made it lose its virtue. Now kids will pump themselves full of steroid, lie, cheat, or do anything to get to that point of 'adulation' which all entertainers lust after.

It is what happens when you let 'show business' take over the industry. Just like politics. Just like religion.

It's saddening to see a young person so bereft of ideas on how to bring meaning into his or her life, simply because they can no longer play a game.

Remember? It's a game. Not a contribution to 'society' except from and entertainment perspective.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I think it was a dumb reason to do it but I feel it should be his choice.
Anyone should have the right to check out when they choose.
Its not the governments dang choice and it ticks me off they even
try and control your death. Its none of their dam business.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Maxmars,

I have to say that i'm in agreement with you. It is sad that some people may get so hung on celebrity that they can't face living without it, or the hope of it. I think is was more the disability in this case though rather than the lure of celebrity being snatched away that made him feel unable to go on.

Memysabu - right on - you may not agree with his reasons, but you respect his choice. It's nice to see such sensible thinking these days.

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Its up to himself to end his life when he wants to.

There must have been something more to it than what is in the light. We don't no what was going on behind closed doors.

The Government dont have the right to put his family through more pain.

I say let him rest and leave his family to deal with their loss.

If it was his choice to do it then what is there to investigate.

top topics

join