It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warren Buffet - "Buy American. I am."

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The dollar is stronger than it has been in quite a long time, and it keeps gaining strength.

Why is that? What fundementals have changed to bring it up?

Answer:Absolutley Nothing..........other currency's are tanking worse than the USD.....relativity only........

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I just stole these from Mish's blog........

"Buying of sound, seasoned issues now will not be regretted"
- E. A. Pearce market letter quoted in the New York Herald Tribune, October 30, 1929

"This is the time to buy stocks."
- R. W. McNeel, market analyst, New York Herald Tribune, October 30, 1929

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
"Just remember, economic apocalypse people, maybe if you think about it really hard and hope for it enough, maybe you can get some"

Economic apocalypse, I believe thats what the majority of ATS readers are looking for. As apocalypse translates into "Revealing, or lifting the veil", then I'm all for seeing who is behind the economic curtain at the end of the golden brick road.

Peace,
The Don Pedros

"Of all the means I know to lead men, the most effectual is a concealed mystery."
Adam Weishaupt

[edit on 17-10-2008 by TheRealDonPedros]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LowLevelMason
As much as you want to believe it, the economy is actually doing fine

Thank you, now everyone knows not to take a thing you say seriously.

Hey guys, someone get the world leaders on the phone and tell them to cancel all the bailouts and fund injections and bank lending - the economy is doing fine!!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by anachryon

That quote sounds just like another member that I remember no longer with us, as soon the economy went down the hill he left ATS.

Or It could be Mr. Bush visiting the boards after all he loves to tell the American people how good we are doing and how strong our nation and the dollar is, and by all means we have pleanttttyyyyyy of jobs.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Is it just coincidental that Low Level Mason posts right after my post with links to the stock charts that show actual proof that the economy is not doing good?

And of course, he makes NO comment on my post at all.

Hmmmm....

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Well I just thought everyone might like this article from MarketWatch that addresses this OpEd by Mr. Buffett. Make sure you read it LowLevelMason...

So urce

For instance, he didn't just go out and buy battered shares of General Electric Co. on the open market Oct. 1. He also received $3 billion in special, preferred stock. Those shares will pay a 10% dividend for at least three years and if, after that, GE wants to buy it back they will have to pay him 10%. Buffett also got warrants to buy GE stock that at the time was worth a 13% discount to existing shares.

and

The problem for Buffett is that his warrants were becoming worthless as GE and Goldman stock fell. One cheap, easy way for Buffett to reverse his losses is by penning an editorial using his huge sway, folksy style, and hints of patriotism to stir up some buying.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I dont have millions to throw away, I'll not be investing in any companies and not buying much of anything besides the necessities, and adding to the stock pile for a rainy day.. my savings is invested stuff that will provide for me and the family when things get bad.. if any one thinks this mess is over with there insane, have you even followed the markets lately there the roller coaster ride from hell.. no stability or trends whats so ever.

I think Buffets words are worthless.. he's not a common man and is one of the richest people that can't identify with common folks, sure he'll be fine, he is loaded with cash in the great depression the rich folks did well too.. the common American didn't fare to well.

You can always make money in any market , i think this is buffets way of helping his own investments.. think about it..

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

A recession is simply a temporary slow down in the economy,

Hello we've been in a recession for almost a year now and your experts are just now saying we are entering one.

a depression is rare and can bring an economy to its knees.

Our economy is on its knees. the massive drop in Sept brought our economy to its knees then. any other country that would have suffered the kind of loss we suffered in Sept would have folded.

Yes the USD is stronger i agree with you there but why is it stronger? every time the worlds economies slow down investors pull there money out of other currencies and run to the dollar. because its considered a sure thing in troubled times. But look at whats happening. every ones currency is tanking just the USD is tanking slower because of the rush from other currencies to the USD to weather the storm just as happened in the past.

As much as you want to believe it, the economy is actually doing fine
I would have agreed with you maybe last year when the effects of the housing market wasn't being felt. However the overall economy is not fine the housing trouble is acting like an anchor pulling it down.

And that quote just goes to show you have no idea what the hell your talking about! But what should we expect from someone that can't even understand what an op-ed is and that its not proof.

A little clue about Buffet. he don't buy common stock he buys preferred stocks and he buys them in bulk. and when he makes an investment its for the long term not short to mid term. and right now the short to mid term is whats going to hurt people. we have to get through that period before we can enjoy the profits of the long term.

Once again the only one spinning anything is YOU because you have no clue what your talking about. little hint even the government has moved passed the economy is fine line! and is admitting that its not, hmmm like most of us have been saying since we are in the real world and can see whats happening around us unlike you!

Do us a favor, why don't you go do some research and look around and see whats going on around you before you say the economy is fine! in the mean time those of us that can see this could turn bad will continue to stock up on food and ammo so when the morons like you come begging for food we can feed your sorry butt

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

Merc,

the ONLY reason the USD has remained strong is because it is the ONLY currency used in the oil trade.

Once that changes (and it seems that might be the plan with the New World Currency System), all these people wearing rose colored glasses will have no choice but to wake up.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

its not the only reason but your right its the biggest reason is because of its use to buy oil.

I saw the thread about the blueprint for a one world currency that was reported in the MSM. If that happens it won't have a good effect, no competition in the market to value it. But i'm sure some that think the economy is "fine" would like the idea of a one world Currency

[edit on 10/17/2008 by Mercenary2007]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join