It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are women obsessed with traveling?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
First of all, this is NOT meant to be offensive in any way to women.

I notice this time and time again - the majority of women are obsessed with traveling. It's like they can't stand to remain in one place for too long. As soon as they get back, they're planning on another trip. They couldn't care less about the economy.

I've noticed that some women would rather bankrupt themselves than stop traveling, which is completely stupid. So I ask this - WHY?

I like traveling too, but I'm not obsessed with it...these people are addicted to it. It's like the new crack or something.

Why do so many women do this?
Is it a fad?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I don't know where you're getting that.

The only woman I know who travel a lot do it for work.. which is quite different than the pleasure trips you are thinking of.

THen of course the "majority" of woman do not have the money to travel over and over again... good god, have you seen the prices lately? Crack is cheaper.

I think it's just your perception, or the particular people in your life. I can tell you as a woman, the instinct is to bed down in one place, especially when there is a family or children involved, not to roam.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
What women? Who are "these people".

I'm a woman. I know many women. I don't know any who are "obsessed".
And if they are....who cares?

Id love to travel more if I could. I could easily become obsessed with traveling. Its great to get out of one's comfort zone and discover the rest of the world. My list of places to visit is looong

Also, the economy isn't hurting everyone. If someone can and wants to travel, that's awesome!

Sounds to me like you are basing "all women" on some you know. *shrug*
I dont understand the point of this thread

[edit on 10/16/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Interesting question.

I've been living in Japan for quite a few years now - and foreigners tend to stand out a fair bit here - especially in Hokkaido.

Based on what I've seen, far more women seem to travel for fun than men. Probably 2:1, maybe 3:1. I especially notice it with people coming over to teach a language for a few months on a working holiday.

Don't know why it is, but the observation you make seems to have a bit of merit.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Exactly, it does...

Maybe it's the United States, I don't know...

I know a lot of women, and just about all of them travel constantly. Maybe it's just me, but that's how it is where I am.

It's like...they HAVE to or something, like something is pushing them to do it. Being accepted socially?

[edit on 17-10-2008 by JediK]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
It's a pop culture thing. The charmed life.

Women have the ability to travel now more than ever and it also goes hand in hand with the reality shows that tend to captivate women more these days and most contain shallow adventures that lead to markets & malls.

I know what you mean... It's almost like they are on a constant empty quest to find something that matters in life. Most of the travelers, I imagine, have no kids.

There is no cure... Men have a good 30 - 40 year jump on needless spending & empty traveler sex. Only natural that they catch up!!!

Funny thing is that women these days seem to be acting more like men and men acting more like women yet the women are looking better than ever and the men looking more like mini hip hopper 12 year olds.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by JediK

If this is a "women" thing then I would say it's because women are more evolved!

The desire to travel aka adventure and exploration, is a wonderful aspiration and interest for one to have! I must be a women myself because I can totally relate.

Not sure if more women then men want this... I never really noticed that I guess.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
this is definitely a new perspective for me.

Im a guy and I love traveling. In fact you could say that Im a bit obsessed, because for me I love to see different parts of the world and different cultures.

You often find that people are very different but concurrently very similar. Traveling definitely expands the mind.

I think Mark Twain said it best:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by iiinvision

Wow that is a fantastic quote there

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your " analysis " has reavealed that i am infact a woman

as i am obsessed with travelling

i have no idea how how this missidentification could have occured - my parents , medical proffesionals , educators , the army , sexual partners , employers - even my self have all spent the last 46 years utterly convinced i am a man

i must now break this news to several of my closest freinds - but i take some comfort from the suspicion that they may also be women too despite earlier missdiagnosis - so we will beable to form our own support group

maybee an international trip might help us come to terms with things

i could have said :

utter twaddle , stop sterotyping

but i was feeling playful - maybee its my hormones

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I'm a bloke...

If it was up to me, I'd be wandering the world now... but sadly, money is an issue.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by iiinvision

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"

true...

i'm a woman, i travel alot and its mostly along side males...the point exactly?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I don't know about obsessed but my wife loves traveling; but then again so do I.......

You only have one life enjoy it, that's what we always say.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by miguelbmx]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I m a woman and yes I love to travel, to learn about different cultures.

Why are women like that?? Here is my theorie about it, which just showed up in my brain.

As we know , the more two people differ in their genomes , the bigger the chance they fall in love and beget a child. And as science does teach us, the more the genomes differ, the stronger/robust the offsprings will be.

Maby they are following their instinct, which is pushing them to find different genomes , so their offspring will be adjusted to the new challenges of life. (Only the strongest survive)

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

That's exactly what I mean, Atlantican.

Traveling is great, but how much is too much? I've known women to put themselves into financial jeopardy, stress out, and whatever else just to get that extra trip in...

It's like there's some hidden motive behind their actions; some "I must" motive...

"I have to travel."
"Everyone else is traveling. I must too."
"I cannot stay in one place too long. It's wrong."

Am I making sense here? This is the mentality I'm seeing.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I agree with what you said. A sense of adventure and exploration is a great quality to have...

But see...these same people don't give a rip about the economy or too much else. The entire financial system is going down the hole, and they're still planning trips like nothing's happening. That's not adventurous; it's ignorant and narrow-minded.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediK
Why do so many women do this?

1) It's not so much the traveling as it is getting to not work, have their way, and be waited on hand and foot by people. Who doesn't like that?

2) Flings. Sexual encounters with men other than those a home. Even though this is the 2st Century, women still feel that they will earn a "bad rep" in their hometowns if they have flings with guys there, and it will diminish their chances of finding a good mate in the future.

On this second point, there may be a subtle bio-social genetic influence at work here. Although human beings "in the wild" generally live in small tribes or packs, it's still important that fresh genetic material be introduced occasionally into the tribe to prevent inbreeding. Part of a woman's desire to travel may be her unconscious genetics telling her to get out and away from her tribe for a while and gather some fresh genetic material for the tribe. The other way fresh genetics are spread between tribes is through war and conflict. Raping and pillaging used to be very important ways of keeping human society from getting genetically stale.

While none of this is strictly necessary anymore, tell that to your genetics, which is still running on 4 million year old software.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Atlantican

That's exactly what I mean, Atlantican.

Traveling is great, but how much is too much? I've known women to put themselves into financial jeopardy, stress out, and whatever else just to get that extra trip in...

It's like there's some hidden motive behind their actions; some "I must" motive...

"I have to travel."
"Everyone else is traveling. I must too."
"I cannot stay in one place too long. It's wrong."

Am I making sense here? This is the mentality I'm seeing.

Maybe its an issue with the women you know....because I fail to see what your senario has to do with all women.

So maybe you should rephrase your thread: Why do the women I KNOW seem to be obessed with traveling all awhile putting themselves in financial ruins.

Because this is NOT a woman thing. Its an individual thing.

And have you ever thought about the fact that maybe the women (as are men) are adventures and have a desire to know the rest of the world. This is a problem I have found with MANY Americans I have come across in my 30+ years.....that many feel no need to travel and see the rest of the world and learn other cultures....they are fine staying "home" in their "comfort zone".

How much is too much? I guess if you have a family, leave them at home while you travel the world all the time and destroy your family while doing it. Other then that. If you can afford it, and it fits your lifestyle there is no too much IMO.

Traveling abroad is an awesome experience and like I said earlier...I would LOVE to be obessed with it and do it all year long for the rest of my life

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

It's like they can't stand to remain in one place for too long. As soon as they get back, they're planning on another trip. They couldn't care less about the economy.

This is why i am completely broke at the moment

London, Manchester, Amsterdam, Crete, Ibiza, paris, New York & Lanzaroti in two years. The vast majority were by the request of a female.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
simple. they need new places to go shopping

new topics

top topics

join