It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts about my past

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Lately I have been having these thoughts about my past. I get these thoughts by something that is related to something in my past and thats when it happens. When im in these thoughts its like im reliving that time and its like im in a deep sleep. When i get these thoughts around my friends they try to wake me up or snap me out of it but nothing happens. The only way I wake up is if something happens in these thoughts that didnt really happen for real. A lot of times its me that trying to do something different because most of these thoughts are bad memories. Im asking has anyone have these kind of thoughts like me and is it something I should go see a doctor about?

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I'm not trying to frighten you, but you may want to have a look at Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. You could have a minor case of it, but the symptoms sound similar.

* Reliving the event Bad memories of the traumatic event can come back at any time. You may feel the same fear and horror you did when the event took place. You may have nightmares. You may have flashbacks. Sometimes there is a trigger (a sight or sound that causes you to relive the event).

* Avoiding situations that remind you of the event You may try to avoid situations or people that trigger memories of the traumatic event. You may even avoid talking or thinking about the event.

* Feeling numb You may find it hard to express your feelings. This is another way to avoid memories. You may not have positive or loving feelings toward other people. You may not be interested in activities you used to enjoy. You may forget about parts of the traumatic event or not be able to talk about them.

* Feeling keyed up You may be jittery. You may be alert and on the lookout for danger. This is known as hyper arousal. It can cause you to: suddenly become angry or irritable, have a hard time sleeping, have trouble concentrating, fear for your safety and always feel on guard, or be very startled when someone surprises you.

If any of the above apply, check this link out.

www.stateuniversity.com...

Just take your time and do a small amount of research. Make sure you get a lot of sleep and you're hydrated. If the problem persists, and you're worried, just talk to a general practice doctor.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I agree that you are having PTSD symptoms, and that you are probably "re-writing" the circumstances via what-if senarios. It is not unlike real dreamstates in that the brain is giving you scenarios to work out. It is a form of preparation for fear related issues. Rehashing, reliving, rewriting, re doing. It is very common and nothing to worry about. People do it in grief states after death as well. It is a coping mechanism. But you should probably discuss the events verbally to give your mind a rest. Sometimes writing the events down and letting someone read it works too, but I think actually verbally telling the story is the most cathartic.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Agree with the previous, that the label 'PTSD' might be applied. But, actually it sounds like you're pretty much over it -- past the part of it being a 'problem'. You recognize your own reactions, share them, and are aware of such.

Yes, see a doc, as previous posters mentioned, if there's a need to. Is there a need to? You sound like you're moving yourself forward, and if so, that's good. So, be aware of what others think, and react to you, that you might not be aware of. If there's any disconnect there, investigate it.

If you would like to share details, of course feel free to. Realize that not everyone might reactive positively, however. Don't let that stop you, though.

As a less-specific question, are the memories/times you are drawn back to spread throughout your life, or concentrated in a particular 'epoch' of experience/time?

new topics

top topics

join