It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My co-workers watched as a girl died

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This is a sad situation and story. But those people that let her die need to be punished in some manner or another. And I find it funny that they are being sued now, when that was their justification for letting her die in the first place. I say they are getting what they deserve. Nobody is going to sue you for saving their life. I think they did something to her and were afraid she would sue them for that if she survived.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This is really unbelievable! Not one person could at least call an ambulance?

If I were in that situation, I'd rather take the chance that I might get sued for helping someone who was obviously in distress, than have to live with myself for not even trying to save a human life.

Very sad story. Thank you for being a decent human and doing what you could. You should be commended for your efforts.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Sorry, but that is a bunch of crap. The entire sue mentality is a bunch of crap. Everyone thinking they are "entitled" or "justified", when it's nothing more than a cover for revenge. It's not going to bring their daughters life back. If the money could somehow do that, then fine - let them sue. But it's not that, it's nothing more than getting revenge with cash. And that I can't agree with.

If she had died in a car wreck of her own fault, same loss of life, but nobody there to blame, and thus nobody to seek revenge on.

It sucks that it happened. The people there obviously did wrong on a level I can't even imagine. At the age of 9 there was a lady who wrecked and hit the corner pole on my pasture fence. At that age I still knew to call 911(and did). That much isn't debatable, and that much we can agree on.

But you aren't fixing anything by sueing. You're just making someone else miserable to match your own misery. And that is wrong.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
This is a terrible story. But he only people her parents are legally allowed to sue are the trained med officers. It is illegal (in the US anyway) to be a trained Medic whether its just having a CPR card to stand by and not do anything.
I'm not saying is okay. It is not by far and I hope they have nightmares because of it.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Star kitten
reply to post by PuRe EnErGy

No- she was a slim and healthy girl. According to the autopsy (courtesy of the girls parents- they told me this) She had nothing wrong with her heart. No-one knows why she had a heart attack.

I don't know if her parents are still going to sue- although they are (obviously) mighty angry at what happened.

For some reason this makes me suspicious, as if there may have been some sort of foul play. Though, considering the ones that didn't help are probably feeling really bad I also feel bad for bringing it up. But I am a naturally suspicious person.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Wow this will likely be a high profile case then...maybe helpful in updating some laws or initiating some at least.

Who will the parents be suing though? each individual? Or only the individuals who are trained in first aid? Will it be a collective lawsuit against all perhaps a negligence suit? Were there cameras in the office to prove how much time elapsed before someone actually called for paramedics? (many offices do have cameras)

I'm guessing this should get some real media attention pretty soon...it's a pretty amazing thing for someone to die in a crowd of 25+people and no ambulance being called!!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Get the hell up and help her. That's what I say.

You did the right thing. Never fear.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This story plays out like a horror story, you walking in on all of them surrounding the young dead girl on the floor, just watching her and doing nothing, it's just creepy.

It doesn't make sense. Why would they be scared of getting sued if they help her? I can't understand that, getting sued would never even come into my mind?

Anyway you did all you could, good for you.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
You did the right thing bud.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
As someone who has been in emergency services, I appluade you for your attempt... I agree that those that didn't help because "they were afraid of being sued" should be sued....
Also, Why don't you post the call centers number? then people can call and complain about the lack of humanity they showed.......

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Yeah, I agree. Being sued would be the LAST thing on my mind in that situation...Maybe those people were in shock? It's a frightening thing to see someone actually have a heart attack.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
It felt like a horror story! I couldn't believe what i was seeing or hearing. And i still can't believe that they hadn't called an ambulance.

I don't know who they plan sue, or whether they will actually do it- they are meeting with some lawyers this afternoon.

If there are any other questions- i'm going to the vet now and going away for the weekend. I'll get back to y'all with more details when/if i get them on monday.

Have a good weekend.

~Star

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
They would have been sued if the girl survived and found out they had caused her heart attack... What if she was allergic to something and they decided to pull a prank?

All the sudden she drops dead. All the sudden its not a prank anymore. Of course they didn't help her.

*EDIT: I guess I shouldn't be shouting allegations with no proof. This should be treated as hypothetical.

[edit on 10/17/08 by peskyhumans]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I don't agree with some other of the comments here. I don't think it's wrong for the parents to sue. They just stood there as she died on the floor; that is completely outrageous. They manifested being sued. I think the least they could do is pay for her funeral and possible grief counseling. I can't even imagine what her parents are going through right now - knowing that their daughter could still be alive it it wasn't for some of the most useless idiots in the world! What a bunch of low life scum.

link   
The Australians must be very tight lipped...the very few times this has happened in North Am. it hit the media REALLY fast...between the coroner, other witnesses, paramedics, doctors , police, the family (ies)...media eats this stuff up. Like I said this should be a major headline real soon.

Also kinda cool is that you can see what's on the docket in the Aussie Courts same as over here, so If it does go to court it can be followed up

link   
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they pulled a Halloween prank that went wrong. Fake spider under the desk or similar. Then they would have reason to think they were going to get sued if she was revived.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Star kitten

No- she was a slim and healthy girl. According to the autopsy (courtesy of the girls parents- they told me this) She had nothing wrong with her heart. No-one knows why she had a heart attack.

When you're number's called - it's your time to go.
At least feel some comfort in that - it was her time - she'd of died anyway.
As for the people who didn't call 911?
People freeze.
People look for someone to take lead, and, it seems that someone wasn't around.
Hopefully next time those people will act.

...taps...

link   

Originally posted by Star kitten

After about ten minutes of CPR she still had no pulse, and i was exhausted- i was shaking sweating and panicking. I told them all i needed help- that i would tell them all what to do, if they would just help me. They would not.
So i kept at it for another ten minutes until the ambulance arrived. They took her away, but unfortunately they could not revive the girl either.

Where on earth do you live that it takes 20 minutes for an ambulance? If I were the parents I would be sueing the ambulance company as well for dragging their feet!

link   
re: I am not sure where you live but I know in *most* if not all of America we have a Good Samaritan law and if you were trying to help someone medically in an emergency, you can't be sued even if your actions at the time were wrong.

Sorry, but anyone can sue anyone for anything it may get thrown out but another lawyer will get just a bit richer before they're through with you.

I work for a utility and we are all trained in cpr. An office worker had a heart attack. A fellow worker started cpr, ripped open the victim's shirt & bra, as we are taught, and she was revived once she got to the hospital. They guy was sued. I can't remember the actual damages claimed but it had to do with him exposing her. It was thrown out eventually, but it cost him a pile of money before it was over.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

Yeah. Then again, stuff like this happens occasionally. Sometimes to the healthiest of people. Or atleast appear seemingly healthy, remember Jim Fixx?

It's a very sad story, and one that could've been avoided apparently. I don't want to be too hard on the people watching, I know in that type of situation we might panic, and I applaud you for taking the initiative in trying to save her. It's a horrible situation to be put in for everyone involved. I don't think the right thing is to sue them for looking on like fools, although that would be my first inclination if I were a relative, to blame someone for this. I think it's ok for you to miss work though, I would do the same.

Again, I'm sorry about the dilemma you and your co-workers were put in, and especially to the family of the girl, my heart goes out to them. It's really a shame.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join