It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's in your "GO BAG"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
outside bag via spring cord
1x 1/4'' x 100' tactical rope -unlimited uses
1x army blanket -keep heat, shelter
1' knife "Big brother!"

inside bag
Wrapped inside a ziplock big bag -water collection
army folded -any of which can be used as fire starter
1x jeans
2x t-shirt
2x skivvies
2x socks
1x thermal long sleeve
1x sweater

ziplock
inside
copy recent bills
copy recent taxes
copy DL
copy ins card
copy benefit info
copy contacts
copy ss card
copy Birth Cert.
flash drive digital copies of all above

loose in pockets and bag
1x gloves -protect hands
2x em foil blanket -keep heat/signal
5x light sticks -
1x compact flashlight-
2x water bottle 1ltr each-h2o
2x para-cord "550" x100' -handy this is
1x tarp -h2o protect
4x 6mil black plastic bags-h20 protect-h2o collect
1x compact metal container"boiling"
2x fork-misc
1x survival knife
1x tactical folding knife-portability without go bag
1x sharpener
1x compact axe-
1x multi tool-
1x multi screwdriver-sometime a multi tool is just too flimsy
1x compact wood saw-
1x compact shovel-
1x Whistle/compass/mag galss
1x real compass
10x power bars
4x zip locks asst. sizes-h20 protect-h2o collect
crank am/FM/weather/USB charger/cell charger/light
mp3 player loaded with tunes-USB
cellphone
1 small book or magazine-fire, sanity

1 mini toothpaste
2 tooth brushes
1 mini antiseptic mouthwash-also for wounds
1 mini shampoo-
1 mini sanitizer-wounds-fire start
1 bar soap-lube sticks 4 fire- burn soap repelling odor
1 wash rag -fire start
4 shaving razors
1 mini conditioner-good for burns ans shaving
1 mini lotion-good for burns and shaving
4 Maxi pads-fire start
Full size shampoo -wash everything

[1x otter h2o tight container]
inside otter

fishing line
hooks

dental floss-tie and fish
4 dental picks

2 drywall screws -sometimes you just need a screw
2 nails -same with nails
8 paperclips -bend to fit need

1 led light

2 lighters
1 mag fire start/flint
20 band aids
5 antibiotic packs
5 alcohol packs-fire
5 cotton pads-fire
4 exact blades
5 razor blades
1 Bic pen cap -scrape inside ear of debris
1 micro rare earth magnet-non invasive removes metal from eye
1 small nail clippers-cutting line and small cord
1 tweezers-
4 tums-
4 pepto-
12 Tylenol-
5 Zyrtec-
10 iodine tabs-wounds
10 neutralizers
matches
folded foil- all kinds of uses, make container for boiling
notepad/mini pen

and more.........

total weight
less than 25 lbs

sorry, forgot to mention this is my never returning home/world gone to s#!t bag.
I do have a significantly smaller bag with just some basics that I carry on a daily basis in the trunk.

[edit on 16/10/2008 by reticledc]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
You must be an efficient packer - I'd need a garage on wheels for all that.

Mine contains considerably less - mainly water, snacks, documents, contact cleaner, flash light, pocket knife, pen, paper...the basics.

Thanks for the list though, I'll keep those things in mind and be sure to practise my packing technique.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Nice!

I got 3 bags, 2 of which are home base bags and one in a vehicle.

Tier one bag is the grab n go with most of the stuff you got there but I also hang a bow & dozen arrows off and a crack barrel air gun inside plus 3 walkies / 7 year batteries. (2 fmrs radios and one standard 40 channel CB walkie just for reaching out)

Tier two bag includes more heavy items in case you "could take one more or had an extra 15 minutes." Includes hunting weapons and longer term camping gear, longer term power items.

Vehicle bag is a slimmed down tier one bag with enough power for a week and mainly hand crank /whack items, extra tarps and thermal wear.

Eliminates a LOT of worry doesn't it?

I use tier 1 gear regularly camping as well, just to stay practiced and to refresh non perishables.

I know you have a thumb drive with our particulars on it but you should have a CD / DVD burned as well with that + all creative works (if any). CDs & DVD's are very very waterproof naturally.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by Atlantican]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

You know that CD's are a great idea. It's kind of like a "DUH!" moment.

I also work off of the tier system. I have different bags for different occasions.
the one described is my "living off the land in the event of a catastrophic war bag"
More realistically, I have it broken down into, what can I leave behind if I have to. Education is the key here. Food can be left behind if you know how to acquire your own food. Learn how to make your own shelters, so you don't have to carry one with you. As you can see, a lot of the items I have are more or less redundant and or can be used for multiple purposes.
If I had to narrow it down to bare essentials, it would be:

clothes
Water bottle
axe
folding knife
multi-tool
screw driver
Combo radio
personal info
para cord
lighter
plastic bags
sanitizer

Everything else is redundant.
If you know how to survive, you can make due with nothing.

My daily survival kit which I carry everyday is
Altoid tin and inside is:
exacto blades
paper clips
floss
magnet
led light
band aids
Tylenol
tweezers
pen cap

I also carry:
flash drive, tactical folding knife, and a mini pad and pen

So much stuff....
I need a new hobby...
Maybe I'll post on ATS...

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
check out the thread Mobile Bob. loads of cool ideas on that thread.

might be of some use.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Your list reminded me that I don't have copies of any documents. I'm making copies right now. Thanks for that tip.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in the numerous threads about bob's (although I may have overlooked it) are the firestarter logs. Not necessarily the logs but the small bricks of fire starter.

We went camping weekend before last and we took a couple of those and it makes starting a fire so much easier. It says to light the bag but I just broke a piece off (maybe a third) and went with that. They're only about 6 inches long and maybe a couple of inches wide so, they wouldn't take up too much room.

I'm proud to say, as a female, I set up the entire camp by myself since my husband had to work late. I packed everything, loaded, unloaded, set up the tent (easier than I thought it would be), started the fire and settled down to a pretty cozy campsite. Now I know I can do it by myself if it came down to that.

As for what I have, it doesn't add up to even a quarter of what you have.
I have a family of five and considering what we would all have to pack, I think I have enough for everyone for at least two weeks. I know that's nowhere near what we need but I'm adding a little bit here and there.

I have all of our camping gear stacked in a corner of my kitchen in boxes for easy access. Everything else we would need is in a tote.

I pray that we'll never have a need for any of it but if we do, it's there.

Thanks again for the tip about copying documents. I'll give you a star just for that.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Just a couple of small considerations after reading your informative posts here, but wouldn't it be a good idea to have a bag for each person in your group with copies of their documents carried by others? That way if one bag is lost, not everything is gone with it.
Also how about pictures of your family/group members in case you get seperated?

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I love it when people feel empowered, because they accomplished something.
I happy you found my post informative.
Thank you 4 the * as well.
Anonymous, where is my head? How could I forget pictures?

Overall I have to agree that I hope I never have to use the skills and information to bugg out. In some weird way though it sounds cool. I guess that's why people go camping.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Still working on my B.O.B.
My everyday bag + stuff in my pockets is,

3 lock blade knives(blades 4-6 inches)
2 swiss army knives
4 pocket knives
2 zippo lightters
1 book of matches
1 small flashlight
1 3 cell maglite
water purifacation tablets
energy drink power mix
mechanix work gloves
multitool
Mace
Magnesium fire starter
ruger .22
6 magazines

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
my small BOB is part of a layered system, along with EDC, Bug out vest, Vehicle kit, Caches and stockpile.

SURVIVAL BUG OUT BAG (My Own personal kit)

Leather/ Cordura Multi pocket tool bag
Soviet AK 47 Bayonet for rough chopping
Pocket Binos or Monocular
Multi tool with plier head
Multi-tool with pruning head
Flashlights Plus spare Batteries (LED type gaining dominance)
Miniature FM radio plus batteries
Chemical light sticks
Rations MRE
Hexamine cooker
Butane lighters
Lock knife (Cold Steel XL Voyager Tanto)
Knife sharpener
Maps
Survival instructions
Survival book
Medical kit
Spare prescription specs
Paracord
Large folding wood saw
Ziplock bags
Small tin with button compass, signal mirror, spare batteries
Telescopic baton

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
View image to see entire picture.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/914f8011d143.jpg[/atsimg]

Updated my go bag a few weeks ago, and have been wanting to post a pick.
My documents and whatnot are in the bag, so is a roll of flattened duct tape, 7chemlightsand multi-screwdriver that I forgot to take out of one of the pockets.
Everything is multi purpose.
I have been tinkering with this for about 6 months.
I have used spares of everything in this bag for everything I can think of, although everything you see here is brand new.

It's a bit heavy, but no more than a backpack of full homework.
I have another lighter bag for the wife and that only has clothes, medication bath tissue, power bars and her documents in it.
What you don't see here is a water bottle(2liter bottle), because anything with a cap on it will do, and I can make a carry harness for it in a snap.

[edit on 8/30/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Don't forget your zip lock baggie crammed to the hilt with dryer lint.
Dryer lint is wonderful for catching a spark. Just be sure to keep it dry.
It weighs virtually nothing. Keep mini lighers in every spare inch of storage space.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I think the bag its self is as important as whats in it. You definitely was want harness straps. I have thought about modifying mine myself. I can sew and my grandfather has an industrial sewing machine. A good front harness with some pockets in the front wold help to balance the weight. I'm going to have to do allot of hiking to get to my primary B.O. spot. Last time I was there I was 18 and in far better shape and no pack, and climbing some of those hills was tiring even then.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
i like the idea of a vest/pack that is sort of poncho/sling shaped, i use some vests like that for fly fishing, and it makes hiking, especially through thick bush rather easy, better balance as stated in the last post...if you go to cabela's and look at some of the fly fishing vest/packs you'll see what i mean

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by patrickhatch

though the idea of a tactical vest does sound interesting, If I had to choose between that and a good pair of cargo pants, the cargo pants win hands down every time.
The pants in my pic are exactly those.
Lightweight yet durable. Wearable with sweats underneath.

side note:
I cannot tell you how many times I have found an Altoids tin kit handy.
I get so many comments on it when I produce it for some reason or another.

There are a lot of great ideas on Instrutables.com

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
yeah, i was thinking one that had a medium compartment on the back as well, so it doubled as like a vest/backpack....the idea i have in mind is very thin, think suspenders, with a chest or waist belt that clips together either on the sides or in the front...with side clips, you can easily unclip and spin it around to access the back while walking, i do it frequently when walking between fishing holes...cargo pants are good, but i find that the swaying of said cargo can be troublesome/akward for people who haven't hiked/marched loaded down...

the Altoids tin is exactly what i need...i always have loose crap floating around in my pockets!

CX

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
I think the bag its self is as important as whats in it. You definitely was want harness straps. I have thought about modifying mine myself. I can sew and my grandfather has an industrial sewing machine. A good front harness with some pockets in the front wold help to balance the weight. I'm going to have to do allot of hiking to get to my primary B.O. spot. Last time I was there I was 18 and in far better shape and no pack, and climbing some of those hills was tiring even then.

Excellent point.

My main bergan is a Berghaus Cyclops Crusader, i bought it 19 years ago when i first joined up, it lasted my entire forces career including having all kinds of crap thrown at it in S. Armagh.

This thing can hold some serious weight, the only think that would restrict that is how much i myself can carry, not what the bag can hold. I've even carried the kids back from the forest in it when they were tired.

It's not a pack for everyone, but it will outlive me and thats all that matters.

CX.

[edit on 1/9/09 by CX]

new topics

top topics

join