It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobs for 14 year olds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Well, the time has come and i need a job... but i cant decide on what to do.

I was planning on joining the military when im old enough so i just need a temporary job. Does anyone have any idea of what i can do? or share what you did for money when you were young so i can maybe have an idea?

Thanks

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Please don't join the military. :shk:

Well I was 14 a long time ago and I babysat when I was a youngin.

What are your skills and special talents? Do any family members own/run a business?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I'm not steering you away from the idea of getting a job. But. You're young. It is a time to have innocent fun. No responsibility. Have fun while you can. After highschool things can change rapidly. Just like that country tune states. "You're gonna miss this"

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
And what the heck is wrong with joining the military? Nothing. Somebody has to do it. Great healthcare, Education, etc... It's a great life style and career.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
if you absolutely have to get a job i would recommend trying to get on at a local grocery store or something like that so you can get some experience under your belt and also get used to working with the public. later in life you may decide you hate working for the public but until you are closer to 18 the options are rather limited unless you have family that owns a business or something.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Keep in mind that my view is from the 1970's.

My first job at about 14 was doing prep work at a pizza place for a couple hours after school and 6 - 8 hours on Saturdays. I basically cut up meats and veggies for pizza toppings and pre-cooking pasta dishes for heat and serve that night. And yes, I washed may share of dishes when I was that age.

The military later trained me as a chef and I went on to cook at bases and on ships.

My brother had a part time job at 14 being a pin setter at a bowling alley, but he also delivered papers just before school.

My sister did a lot of babysitting when she was 14, and she also had a paper route she did after school.

My youngest brother stocked shelves and delivered grocery items on his bike for a small store & butcher shop at about that age.

Child labour laws have taken a lot of those jobs away from kids now, and liability concerns have stopped a lot of businesses from hiring young people.
It's a shame really, work experience at a your age is an important part of learning what life is like outside of text books.
The sooner you start doing any kind of work, the better your resume looks when you go looking for other work as you get older.

Be creative and tenacious, I'm sure you'll find something that suits you.
I know what it's like to be 14 and not have any money in your pocket.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
thanks for the ideas guys... before your posts all i could think of was paperboy and dunking donuts.

i was considering looking at the local butcher shop, but i dont think they are hiring, so i guess ill have to try something else.

What are your skills and special talents? Do any family members own/run a business?

well, im athletic and my friends call em the walking dictionary. I dont know if any jobs require me to define words for someone anymore... but if one of you has an idea im still open to them...

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Hey Falken.
Not sure where you live or what might be available in your area, but I have a 14 year old son.
When he was 12 he juggled three paper routes. At 13, he mowed lawns in summer, and shoveled snow in winter while still doing two of the paper routes.
Now at 14 he is a dishwasher at a restaurant, and learning to do prep (Like Anx posted).
It's never too early to start your first job.Even if it's sweeping floors or flipping burgers.
Even volunteering somewhere for a few months may get you the skills to put on a resume , or get you in the right connection of people to obtain a job.
Think about those that just work their way through high school, till they graduate, then they go to college..never having a job before, never volunteering anywhere.....
Now think about working while you go to school, buying your own things, learning how to budget money, building up a good resume for yourself...
Who do you think an employer will hire?
The one who has had NO experience, or the one WITH experience?
NO BRAINER.
Congrats to you for seeking employment at your age. You'll go far in life with an attitude like that.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Get a local job with your nearest mob boss mixing drinks.

Easiest money I ever made

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Thanks accessdenied, thats the kind of motivation i need

If my schedule on weekdays wasnt so packed i'd have gotten a job by now, but since i have to juggle homework, afterchool activities, friends, family and church, i have very little choices on the jobs i can get.

btw: lol whatukno... my area doesnt have many mob bosses

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Think about applying at local moviw theatures.

I was 15 when i started my first job at the local movie theature.
It wasnt the hardest job i had, but it was a great first job, i worked there for over 2 years.

And, thank you for plannig to join the military.
Alot of people like to verbaly crap on the military.

I don't.

You have my respect.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Movies, thats a good idea... the closest one is a few miles away thought and i still cant drive

so i guess ill have to find a closer place :bnghd:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Falken

Have you considerd an under the table gig like mowing lawns? Charge $12/hr.......that's good money for a 14 year old. I started working for min wage ($4.25/hr) when I was 15...

This also gives you the choice of how much you want to work!

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
hmmm... i dont have experience with lawnmowers (you see i never really had a lawn... just a pool lol)

but i guess i can shovel snow when winter comes...

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
RE: i was considering looking at the local butcher shop, but i dont think they are hiring, so i guess ill have to try something else.

YOU DON"T THINK THEY WERE HIRING!????!?!??

Get your posterior in there and ASK!
If they say no, try again next week!

Repeat as necessary.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by wookiee]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wookiee

lol... i dont like making excuses but i dont like it there anyways

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Most chains won't hire people younger than 15, but Chick-fil-A does. I don't know if you have that in your area but it's a good place to start. And very tasty

Otherwise, try independent places and go in and ask if they need help whether or not they have a sign in the window.

Access Denied is right, you'll go far with such a good attitude
. I'd hire you.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099

Access Denied is right, you'll go far with such a good attitude
. I'd hire you.

Thanks

Im not sure if we have any Chick-fil-A's near here... i think there is one at the mall... but im not walking across boston to get to my job... at least not yet

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Falken

If you live in Boston I'm sure there are a million places that would hire you...pizza places come to mind

I LOVE New England for its food.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I live in a suburb of boston... about half an hour away by car

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join