It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

obsessive oppositional disorder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
What is this...

I saw this news story

news-press.com...

And they said the girl had Obssecive Opposintioanl Disorder....

A quick google search turned up nothing...

What is this???

Search results brought up pages with OCD and ADHD...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
maybe it means she likes to argue a lot no matter if she knows what the other person says is true

i'm just guessing

maybe it's the same as ODD or oppositional defiant disorder, which basically means a person rebels simply because they wish to rebel

link to information from CNN

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

I have never heard of it, but based on the name I am guessing it is pretty self explainatory. I would go with what Barathrum said.

After reading ATS for a while I would also guess it is not a very rare condition....

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
ODD - actually stands for Oppositional Defiance Disorder.

You say blue the ODD person says Green even if it's clearly blue.

You give a set of five instructions that MUST be followed exactly to achieve a result and the ODD person will do the first and maybe the second and wing the rest yet insist they followed directions and the lack of result is actually your fault. It's not quite the same as anti-authority...

My daughter has this and sadly it affects her quite badly. The ADHD was a typical school determined issue (they wanted her drugged and pliable) BS but this one was right on the money. The only legit thing IMO that the docs claimed she had.

It's really quite a bizarre mind set...though as far as it being an actual "mental illness" I'm not ready to buy into that. I think with cognitive training and skills training people with ODD can learn to FOLLOW directions and order...without it becoming a HUGE battle of attitude.

For my kid it comes across as an attitudinal issue...but it's more perverse than that...it's seemingly uncontrollable for the sufferer yet they understand when it's SHOWN to them the errors in their following of instructions and order.

LOTS of news out there on this ODD stuff.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   

You give a set of five instructions that MUST be followed exactly to achieve a result and the ODD person will do the first and maybe the second and wing the rest yet insist they followed directions and the lack of result is actually your fault.

Hey... thats sounds like what i do...

execpt when i do it, its called slacking off or not following directions...

Im so glad im not in grade school these days... i would be so drugged up on perscription drugs..

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Hey, I'm a clinical psychologist and I've never heard of "Obsessive Oppositional Disorder." I think its a typo and they meant to say Oppositional Defiant Disorder. I feel very sorry for this young girl who also has a diagnosis of schizophrenia. Very poor prognosis.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
They may have meant Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)

ODD is a psychiatric disorder that is characterized by two different sets of problems. These are aggressiveness and a tendency to purposefully bother and irritate others. It is often the reason that people seek treatment. When ODD is present with ADHD, depression, tourette's, anxiety disorders, or other neuropsychiatric disorders, it makes life with that child far more difficult. For Example, ADHD plus ODD is much worse than ADHD alone, often enough to make people seek treatment. The criteria for ODD are:
A pattern of negativistic, hostile, and defiant behavior lasting at least six months during which four or more of the following are present:
1. Often loses temper
2. often argues with adults
3. often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults' requests or rules
4. often deliberately annoys people
5. often blames others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
6. is often touchy or easily annoyed by others
7. is often angry and resentful
8. is often spiteful and vindictive
The disturbance in behavior causes clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning.

top topics

join