It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is "Joe the Plumber" a Plumber? That's Debatable

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Is "Joe the Plumber" a Plumber? That's Debatable

www.examiner.com

Joe the Plumber's story sprang a few leaks Thursday. Turns out that the man who was held up by John McCain as the typical, hard-working American taxpayer isn't really a licensed plumber. And court documents show he owes nearly $1,200 in back taxes.

"Joe," whose name is Samuel J. Wurzelbacher, was cited repeatedly in Wednesday night's final presidential debate by McCain for questioning Barack Obama's tax policy.

Wurzelbacher instantly became a media celebrity, fielding calls during the debate and facing reporters outside his home near Toledo on Thursday morning for an impromptu nationally televised news conference.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Everyone who saw Wednesday's debate will remember "Joe the Plumber," used by McCain as an example of man seeking to better himself by owning his own plumbing business (the one he had worked for for many years)--a man who would suffer from Obama's raising taxes on those making $250,000/yr. or better.

Obama responded that most small businesses don't do better than 1/4 million a year and Joe probably wouldn't suffer a tax increase.

I'm an Obama supporter, but I think plumbers with their own businesses could easily do 250k a year. Plumbers make out all right. IMO, however, he wouldn't suffer appreciably from a 3% tax increase.

It's interesting to know, though, that Joe the Plumber is nowhere near owning his own business--he hasn't even got a license.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I wonder if the issue of Joe being a Plumber will get more play than Bill Ayers being a terrorist?

There is nothing better than an average American turning this race around!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
I wonder if the issue of Joe being a Plumber will get more play than Bill Ayers being a terrorist?

There is nothing better than an average American turning this race around!

You know it will. The media will try their best to destroy Joe the plumber and make him out as the bad guy. It really doesn't matter if he has a license or not because there are other plumbers, contractors, brick layers out there that are in the same position. McCain said it best when he said " Nobody's taxes need raising in a time like this". I'm afraid neither man is right for the White House but we only have three choices. McCain, Obama or a revolution.

[edit on 10/16/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Perhaps he is no more a plumber than the character from "BEN TEN"
You know grandpa?
Just kidding.
I agree that this is most assuredly a plot to humanize a more or less celebrity by using common "working class" to illustrate the empathy he has for us all.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
It's not complicated.
But it is being spun into something of a lie.

He works for a plumbing company.
His employer has a plumbing license.
He wants to buy the business from his employer.
That is when he will be required to be a license holder.

there is less incentive to improve the business if, as you become more successful, you get to keep a lower percentage of your earnings.
You can bet, a plumber with a few guys working for him can make 250K or more.

"if you want me to get poop on my clothes,
You're gonna have to pay out the nose"

[edit on 16-10-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

His employer doesn't have a license either according to an AP report

ap.google.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

But the county Wurzelbacher and his employer live in, Lucas County, requires plumbers to have licenses. Neither Wurzelbacher nor his employer are licensed there, said Cheryl Schimming of Lucas County Building Regulations, which handles plumber licenses in parts of the county outside Toledo.

Here is the part of the AP article dealing with licensing.
It says they aren't licensed where they live.
but are they licensed where they work?, That's the important part.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The plumber is a republican stooge.
I watched that debate in full last night, and yes while Mccain did have an 'on par' night with Obama, by no means did he land a knockout blow OR cement some good points.

It was like Mccain wasnt listening,
Obama clearly states the plumber ISNT in a $250,000.00 bracket, therefore he WOULDNT be taxed, but Mccain immediately struck back saying he would.

the plumber comes out and says

Mr Wurzelbacher said he was pleased with Senator McCain's performance. "McCain came across with some solid points, and I was real happy about that," he said.

its a good idea, but its obvious this ploy is meant to assist Mccain.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
If the media tries to destroy this man and his credibility just because he asked Obama a question and it didn't sway Obama's way...my head is going to explode. They dig to make him look like a fraud.

The attacks have gotten to big for the candidates...now lets go after a regular guy? This man could be any of us posting on these boards. I can't believe more aren't angry over this.

DAMN MEDIA

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Depends dude,
I fully believe he was asked, or selected to be 'joe the plumber'
you know,

'' we'll give you this, or help you with this, if you ask him this, and represent the average working American ''

Mccain used this guy a dozen times to put across his point, I think, as soon as he was used he became fair game.

I fully expect sometime soon a link will come out between the republicans and Joe the plumber.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

For some reason, when I read "republican" my brain said "reptilian".
LOL

anyway.
It's true, at current salary, he would not be taxed at the higher rate.
But they were talking in a future tense, and the point, which is becoming lost in the flurry of half-truths and omissions by the media, is that this increase that comes with making 250 per year, is a non-incentive.
Couple that with a "spread the wealth" mentality, you can see why some people are jumping on this as a negative for Obama.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

its a good idea, but its obvious this ploy is meant to assist Mccain.

I think it would be more accurate to say "its obvious this is going to assist McCain." Thus the immediate and unprecedented attempt to smear his character. Poor guy didn't volunteer himself to be a talking point like the average politician but he is getting the royal Palin treatment.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I actually don't care if he is a licensed plumber or not. It doesn't change anything. The point he was making is still there. He probably is a plumber and does plumbing jobs. Maybe he works an area where he does not need to be licensed. Maybe he is an apprentice. But he said he was wanting to buy a plumbing business..........and Obama's Robin Hood plan would affect his decision on doing so.

And the fact that the Obama camp is trying hard to smear him is their way of deflecting from the point of "Joe the plumber".

I know plenty of people (friends and family) who work their arse's off and whom Obama wants to steal from and give to others.

This is not OK in my book.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Nah, im more for the fact that people can see this as a republican ploy, and as such are showing him in a bad light to show the lengths republicans are willing to go, to show a positive image.

Even this man said himself, a small business doesnt earn $250,000.00 a year. Obama's policy is great,

tax the ones who can afford it, and help the ones who cant.

Where's the negative in that?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Is there any evidence to show he is in fact a Republican ploy?
Or is this just an assumption?

I'm asking sincerely, not being snarky.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   

tax the ones who can afford it, and help the ones who cant.

Where's the negative in that?

Because my family has worked their arses off to get where they are and maintain where they are. My neighbors, who Obama thinks should reap the hard work of MY family, are lazy pathetic people who already mooch off the system.

Sorry. Will never ever support this.

I (and my family/friends) choose whom we give to and volunteer our time too. The government should NOT be doing that choosing for us.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

This man is not fair game. He's not running for office. If this guy had gotten a response that he had liked from Obama you'd be praising him for it.

Let the man be.

Also, everything isn't a conspiracy theory. I know sometimes it looks bleak, but there are still some honest people in the world.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by David9176]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
You know, I heard them talking about it today. Some small business owner called in talking about how he's making $150,000 less a year now (but still enough over the $250,000 to worry). He must make well over the $250,000 mark because around there, the rise is fairly negligible.

What they failed to even mention is that he's having trouble making payments (yes, he's having trouble with credit making over $250,000 a year), is that it's the failing economy that is causing him trouble.

While they may not agree, many feel that demand-side economics make the economy strong. With a strong economy, he wouldn't be feeling the crunch, even with a slight rise in taxes.

Not sure how people can have discussions like that and make such critical oversights. I suppose if it fits their agenda...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
If his name was "Joe six pack" but he didn't have a distributers license, the media would still make him a bad guy. The point is that Joe wants to improve his standard of living and finds it hard to understand why Obama should have the privilage of being about to take his wealth and "spread it around". Taxing people lets the air out of the economic tires. You should never institute taxes on a bad economy.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join