It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What word is most conditioning?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
What word do you find is used constantly as a form of conditiong. The word that I most can't stand is "absolutely". This word is over used to describe personal opinions in the media. It is truly disgusting. It's almost implying that if you don't concur on what is a stated absolute you are off your rocker.

What is an absolute, anyways? It seems to be an abstract concept that has no real basis. As far as I can tell, time changes all. Even the all was at sometime non-existant and could someday not be again.

This just seems one step lower than right wrong, good bad, etc..

Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
well politically speaking I'd have to say, Liberal ,I don't even really no what it means because it's been used as a swear word so much that it's no longer effective in describing someones politics .But very effective at discrediting .say Liberal and all of a sudden you get spend the rest of your campaign trying to prove a negative

You're right there are no absolutes trying to argue with an absolutist is very aggravating ,no shades of gray

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The 2 most manipulative words in the English language that are used in advertising every day are "some" and "may". You can say ANYTHING legally using those 2 words.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
The 2 most manipulative words in the English language that are used in advertising every day are "some" and "may". You can say ANYTHING legally using those 2 words.

Wow, that is an interesting point!

I don't really like it when people say something is certain, especially dealing with religion. Saying "God made the Earth." is different than saying "I think God made the Earth." and I'd have to say I respect the latter a lot more.

new topics

top topics

join