It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we get the flu vaccine?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

I got my first and only flu shot after a bout with pneumonia six years ago when I was 60. I was so sick all the rest of the winter. I will never get another flu shot. I get so tired of all the promotions to get your flu shot. I don't think the shots are good for you.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
No to the flu shot.

I have a master's degree in public health, and my strategies for staying healthy include a whole foods diet (whole grains, etc.) as much as possible; zero intake of refined sugars - including honey -- because these sugars are known to suppress the immune system; moderate exercise (walking for one hour) 3 to 4 times a week; green tea (hot) if I start to feel subpar (these also come in capsule form if you are on the go and cannot stop for hot tea); and last but actually most important -- especially if you have children in daycare or school -- wash your hands very frequently ... hygiene makes a huge difference.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Uphill

Thank you for taking a moment to post some good points.

My only worry is that if I don't get the shot(s) for my family, because our son is in daycare, we're pretty much ensuring that we all get the flu this year. Where we live, it ALWAYS makes its rounds, every year. Though I seem to be leaning towards not getting it and just toughing it out. Anyways, cheers for posting and thanks again.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
BS microbiology
MS molecular biology

No and here is the reason why.

The surface proteins of the flu mutate so rapidly, and are so numerous now there is not one vaccine that covers all. Instead, the CDC and WHO look at statistics, and guess which strains might be the most prevalent in any given year... and those are the strains they build the vaccine for.

Unfortunately, no one can tell which flu will be most prevalent, or if (as in this year) a new strain will appear. Everyone who got a flu shot this year is SOL as an undocumented strain so far has been the most prevalent.

They're free for a reason people.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I just occurred to me that it's probably within the parameters of this thread (or at least the OP's intent) to discuss other ways of NOT getting the flu besides getting a flu shot.

1. Do wash your hands a lot, but avoid antibacterial soaps and sterilizing cleaners. Your immune system needs exposure to microorganisms in order to stay healthy.
2. At the beginning of flu season, take some echinacea for about 3 weeks. It boosts your immune system naturally.
3. Eat a healthy diet and make sure you're getting enough of the essential vitamins such as C, E, and the B complex.
4. Stress can not be underestimated as a cause of illness. Getting worried, upset, "stressed out", frustrated, etc. is very likely to lead to physical illness such as a cold or the flu. Try to avoid stress or deal with it, don't allow yourself to be stressed, especially not for days or weeks at a time.
5. Investigate herbal remedies and keep them on hand for when you feel a flu or cold "coming on." Many of them really work, and quite well. Large doses of Echinacea and garlic, taken together, can often ward off a virus before it gets a good foothold in the body, and products such as Zinc lozenges and Zicam can help, too. I have gotten the flu within the past few years, but I was only "down" with it for about 36 hours and then I switched over to the "getting over it" stage - due, I'm absolutely certain, to the stuff (echinacea, garlic, zinc, stress vitamins) I took at the first twinge of symptoms.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Hi Heike. Good to see you. I love the new Avatar! On topic, you raise a lot of good points as to how we can significantly lower our chances of getting the flu in the first place, and how to recover quickly if we do get hit.

My family (myself, my wife and our son) are all going to skip it for this year and see how that goes. We're focusing on eating healthy, staying active and getting proper rest. I'll keep the thread posted as to how we make out and if/when any/all of us get sick. I'm also keeping an eye on everyone else at work, who all got the shot already. Cheers for posting, Heike. Be well.

[edit on 12/5/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
My Doctor keeps encouraging me to get the Flu shot. haven't yet as there are too many strains out there and the shot doesn't cover em all.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Static Sky

www.youtube.com... I don't know if anyone has posted this yet ..... but I send these to you , hoping it enhances your important question and thread. Best wishes 2 U ! www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
As of last week I finally recovered from all of the side effects that the nasty and evil flu shot gave me. I don't care if my doc says the vaccine is 'dead' and can't 'give' me the flu. It did something horrible to me and now, nearly two months later, I'm FINALLY feeling human again.

When I hear "just say 'no' to drugs" I'm going to add "and just say 'no' to flu shots".

Jemison

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

Thanks for the update Jemison. And I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. You know, when I first started this thread I was pretty sure I'd end up getting the shot. And I was more sure my wife and our son would get it, too.

Because of some of the points made on this thread, followed up by some more research I did into those claims, and discussions with my wife based on what I learned, none of us will be getting it this year. And frankly, I'm glad. Cheers to all who've posted and I hope this thread opens some other peoples eyes, as it has mine. Be well.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join