It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daily Show cancelled Jan 20th?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
What will Jon Stewart do come Jan 20th?
Seriously what will Comedy Central replace him with?

The Daily show will have to be cancelled, they will be no one to make fun of, no policies they do not agree with, not statements to crack on...
They'll have to replace The Colbert Report as well, won't they?

Most likely Obama will be president and congress will be stuffed with enough Democrats that they can't blame anyone else for anything so what will happen to the Daily show and The Colbert Report? I am seriously interested.. as a conservative who watches both (almost) daily I would like to know.

Also, how about Letterman and Leno? Comedy in general? (The View?)
I don't see Obama getting his drawers in an uproar (ala Clinton) so that angle will be gone and we all know you only ridicule people when you hate them (Bush, McCain) So what/who will Jon and Steven focus on?

I can't see how they can keep up the jokes with people no one will know?
They can't keep making fun of McCain for the next 8 years.

So who will they make fun of?
Maybe we should start the letter campaign now to keep them on the air.

Whats your top 5 subjects to keep them on the air?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I was thinking the same thing. Another thing to look for will be the glowing state our country and economy suddenly become once Obama is in the white house. Our news will be wall to wall positive, in order to make him look like a miracle worker. Fox will be called racist for being the only network to question anything Obama does.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
As long as we have politicians, bureaucrats, and citizens, there will never be a shortage of people to make fun of.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marcus Calpurnius
Fox will be called racist for being the only network to question anything Obama does.

wow I totally never thought about that.

I realize there will be zero criticisms and everything that goes wrong will be "Bush's fault". In fact we'll probably hear "Bush Administratin" more after the election than during his term.

In any case.. that doesn't help the Daily Show!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I like senator obama and do think an obama administration will be good for america but...he will make mistakes he will make gaffs and with "24 hour news", blogs, cell phone and regular hand held video cameras and the general overall scrutiny there will be things to make fun of in an obama administration.

Let's also not forget that it wont just be senator obama but senator biden, their respective staffs, the cabinet, their families, silly overblown day to day incidents.

Whether it was Gerald Fords klutziness, a brother pitching his own beer, Ronald Reagans full time astrologer, sexual pecadilos or even little things like choking on a pretzel or (keeping it in the family) vomiting at a state dinner in china, presidents will always be a near bottomless pit of comedic material.

Again, especially with the technology of the day John Stewart has nothing to worry about.

IMO of course.

spiderj

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Well, up until this point a show like the Daily Show that mocked the left wing politics and democrats would not be tolerated by the networks.

Perhaps once Obama is elected and passes the "fairness" doctrine, that will change.

Of course, their idea of "fairness" only goes one way though.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
You generalize too much. Do you think there's not loads of comedy material in the Democratic camp? Do you really think they won't use it? They have, and do already. It's just that McCain and Palin now, and Bush and Cheney for the last 8 years, have provided so much easy material for comedians. Seems to be a fact that the filters between the brain and mouth of republicans are much less evolved than those of democrats and independents.

Don't get me wrong, the Dems put their feet in their mouths as well, and Stewart and Colbert have both called 'em on it. They just don't do it as often, or to such an extent as the republicans.

Now, as I'm assuming the thread with the video of Jon Stewart and McCains "new stump speech" was the inspiration for this one, how can anyone, republican, democrat or independent, not see his point. Can you honestly tell me he was wrong about the speech? Can you refute the video itself? Why bother with Obama when McCain writes the comedy for you?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I wouldn't fret too much, the Barack Obama Lord of the Rings parody was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I wish I could find the video for it.

Did anyone else see it?

I also remember The Daily Show pre-Bush in Stewarts first year and they had no problem finding politicians and crackpots to mock.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
So it is really cancelled??? when did this come out? i love daily show and colbert report because they SLAM our media and how fake it is.... (even though they are still part of it)

I guess being comedy they are taken way lighter and have more leway to rip on the others..

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Have you seen the episode after the debates? He did take shots at McCain AND Obama's empty money promises. Steward will do okay.

top topics

join