It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Turning On Alone At 4am

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Last night, I was awakened at 4am by the sounds of people talking. I woke my fiance up and went downstairs to find our TV in the family room was turned on with the volume very loud. Neither one of us had used that TV all day. We went back upstairs to our bedroom when our cable box turned off alone. Just as my fiance went to touch it, it turned back on. About 2 hours prior to this, our dog (who sleeps with us) jumped off the bed and was crying because he wanted to go downstairs. I simply ignored it. What freaked me out most of all was that the whole night prior to this whole incident, I had been dreaming about our home being haunted and wanting to have a priest come in and bless it. I havent been able to get over it all day. I cant stop thinking about it. The whole thing has left me with an uneasy feeling.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas about what this could be/mean??

[edit: title - All Caps]
Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Hi. I am no expert, but I do have a few questions...

Did you just move into this house? Do you know the history of the house? Have you started doing any home improvements projects?

The first thing I thought of is that perhaps you or your fiance accidentally set the TV to turn on at a certain time. (Do they do that now, like the opposite of a sleeper timer?) But that does not explain the volume level or your dog's behavior.

Any chance you or your fiance were sleep walking? Are either of you taking Ambien? (Yes I know that doesn't account for the one in your room turning off and on.)

I don't think a blessing could hurt. And maybe you could unplug the TV at night for a while. I would feel unease too, and I would trust my gut, or in this case subconscious if it happens again.

Maybe you can ask the visitor to turn on a sitcom- if it's gonna wake you up in the middle of the night for no reason the least it could do is give you a few laughs.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It could be something electrical right?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
That happened to me once in college. The TV turned on by itself about 4 times that night. At first I thought it was the dog. Turned out there was a problem with the TV itself, the receiver for the remote was going out. The sad part is, the remote wouldn't turn the thing off after it came on.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by roega912

It could be anything. TVs are controlled via infra-red radiation, so any source that happens to emit the right pattern (which is very simple, as it's not very technically advanced) will cause the TV to respond. It could also be a defective TV set.

And don't bother getting a blessing. You might as well scream 'Hail Santa' - they'll both have the same effect (hint: none).

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
hi-- my tv has turned on in the middle of the night several times as well-- it is VERY freaky! i have also had childrens electric toys start going off in the middle of the night -- my husband says i'm crazy when i get spooked about it- but i definitely think something spiritual going on...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
this has happened with my computer before on a number of occasions, i have sat and watched it before. usually i would turn it off but sometimes it would turn itself off!!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by roega912

As others have said, it could be all sorts of things.

For example, it could be a neighbour's remote control.
(Yes, it can happen.)

Have you contacted a TV repair expert?
I am sure they could give you an idea of how often (or not) that happens, and also an explanation.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Do you have a DVR. My DVR does that all the time, turns the tv on by its self in the middle of the night. We have a comcast DVR system.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It is the tv itself. I've had a tv come on in the middle of the night full blast. Scared the crap out of me. The tuner, or something like that, is just going out. So get a new tv and your problems go away.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Many years ago I had an older "Solid State Techology" TV turn on by itself on several occasions. The problem was isolated to only that TV which was hooked up to an early generation cable box with remote. I thought is was freaky then but now I believe it was a glitch in the cable box and the fact that an older non- remote TV was plugged into it.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
This is quite strange but not out of the ordinary! I would just have a luck and see if the remote wasn't stuck behind anything, or if the fuse and electrical circuits are alright. A surge of electricity around the house could of sparked something on the circuit board.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Most of the time its all in our .s. Learn not to be affraid in situations like this as it could take control of your life. I learned this at the age of 16. Don't be afraid of anything!

Its your life no one else' !

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I worked as an electronics technician years ago and remember a few times where customers brought in their tv set claiming it turned on in the wee hours.
This was verified and long story short, the problem was a faulty infrared receiver module. Continous random noise on the line was enough to simulate a data pulse train, fooling the set to turn on.

The puppy factor though makes this odd.

btw, was the ghost watching a repeat of the debate?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
had this happen on a set i bought that was a floor model. when they cleaned the tv's while on display they weren't careful to not let the flud run down the front of the tube behind the bezel. had it for 6 months to a year and then all of a sudden it started turning on and cranking up the volume. we had a tv-repair friend look at it and the whole button assembly on the bottom of the tv was corroded.

could also be EM interference, etc. as others suggested.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by an0maly33]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
could be a neighbor with a same brand set, same remote coding..

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I'll have to agree that this isn't that unusual.

I'd also ask if you had either DISH or DirecTV. We have DISH at home and a lot of times our neighbors remote will start changing our channels and controlling the volume. Apparently due to our dishes being close together or something (according to the tech). So it could be something similar.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cedik
this has happened with my computer before on a number of occasions, i have sat and watched it before. usually i would turn it off but sometimes it would turn itself off!!

Bare in mind,computers do have a stand by setting

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I used to own a condo,found out later that the ladys son and husband had died there,every night would go upstairs to bed then would notice the lights would come on,also a feeling that someone was following,the last straw was when I came home from golf and called my then wife,while talking to her on the phone the burners on the stove turned on one by one,I was about 2 feet from the stove,I hung up the phone after telling her what happened,I put the place up for sale soon after,sure scared the hell out of me

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
My grandfather died when I was 19...mum gave me his TV after sorting his things in his house...I used to tell mum ,there was something wrong with it...as I had it in my bedroom,I would wake up...in the middle of the night,to find it on.Mum took the battery out of the controls...still would do it...so would leave it unplugged.
When I got married...my husband would be watching sports on the same TV...when suddenly TV would change stations on it's own...would always go to the channel with political debates...I would joke to him,saying it's my Grandad and just let him watch it for 10mins...then turn it back...then he would get spooked when it would happen again and again...no battery in controls,as I thought it was faulty.
When I had my daughter,we had just arrived home from hospital....after some time we sat in the lounge room ,watching TV...sports was on...then the TV went to another channel...political debate was on it.My husband,asked me to turn it back,as he was watching the sports.I looked at him and said I don't have the controls...they are next to the TV.He gave me a spooked look....then I said ,don't worry it's just grandad,letting me know he is here, to see the baby.Don't have any idea if the TV was faulty...but odd.

Oh ,also just 3 days ago, was on computer...when it suddenly starts saying...Hello I'm Amber...again and again..turned it off ...restarted it ...said again ...Hello I'm Amber...turned it off again for rest of that day...it hasn't talked to me since....Strange!

[edit on 16-10-2008 by bekonabroom]

[edit on 16-10-2008 by bekonabroom]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by BedroomHero

Originally posted by Cedik

Bare in mind,computers do have a stand by setting

yes and they will also automatically turn off if the core temperature of the CPU heats above a set degree.

as for TVs, unless it is unplugged and it turns on, you have no paranormal worries.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join