It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Job

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
A random question, to the members of BTS whats your job and do you enjoy it? Well, i work for NAPA in massachusetts. And for the most of the time its alright. But with any job i have a crappy days, dealing with

[edit on 16-10-2008 by purpleneonofdoom]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I'm an Environmental Engineer and work on a military base. I deal with hazardous material, hazardous waste, water quality, air emissions, etc.

I really like what I do, but the crazy, ignorant people I work with make me want to :w: and :bnghd: daily.

I am normally
by the time I get home....and my boyfriend loves the first hour after I get home. :shk:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Fast food here. KFC/A&W. Very stressful job as our store is ranked number 2 out of 347 store in the region, but I work with good people so I haven't quit yet. I enjoy my job for the most part because all of my co workers are cool with each other (except the jerk of a co manager we have, he's nicer now since I got him in trouble for a mean comment he made towards me).
Other then that, I enjoy the interaction with customers (most of the time), my store is right next to a bar so I meet plenty of interesting people, and some uhhhhh, not so good people.
I just hate the rushes we get on game day. Hot wings, hot wings, and more frickin hot wings.:bnghd:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
You need to drive a big truck. When you drive one of those baby's it does no matter how bad you day is you can always say you are bigger. I loved it because I would just sit there and say the dumb people have no idea what I can do to them. lol

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I am a document researcher for a Civic Group here in NY. It's a bit mundane at times, but some of the government documents I've come across have been real gems.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
selfemployed
graphic designer and media designer

i really love my job
sometimes there are problems and little missunderstandings with customers or printer shops
but this belongs to the business

it is really what i want to do!

and when i am doing a job, i am getting into a meditative trance!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Since I don't want to sound like one of those "I love my job and everything is fantastic" jerks (above poster excused...) =) I'll give a brief work history.

Currently, I'm an IT guy for a group that writes web applications for a major university/hospital. I basically make sure they're all able to do their job and maintain the servers that run the apps. Very low stress and I really like it - mostly because I rarely interface with end users.

Before this I was doing desktop support which for the most part wasn't bad, but there are always a few troublemakers that made me a little stabby from time to time.

Around that time I was also working the tech bench at Best Buy. I liked it enough, but I wasn't shown any appreciation because I declined to try to sell people MSN even though they already had AOL, or vice versa. I thought it was ludicrous and a pretty asinine thing to do. So when the monthly meetings came around I never got any recognition even though I pulled my weight at selling tech services and busted my ass to get things done and done well. I'm pretty sure every other member on my team got some neat little gift. It was also next to impossible to get a day off. I had my real job during the week, I was going to school every night after work, and I had Best Buy on the weekends. I wasn't allowed to be unavailable for weekend work, which again, made me VERY stabby at times.

Previous to that, I was an in-store at Papa John's. Made minimum wage, but it wasn't bad. We would get busy, but I got a feeling of pride and accomplishment when it was me and the manager taking on a 60 pie hour (that's 1 pizza every minute) and we were keeping up. It's when we were dead that sucked. No place to sit, aching feet, aching back, nothing to do, 5 minutes seems like 5 hours...The Manager tried to get me to be a shift runner a few times(sort of a quasi-managerial role for weekends), but it was only another 15 cents or so an hour and I felt it wasn't worth the extra responsibility. It's one of those jobs that looking back, I don't regret having, but at the same time it literally made me sick some days to have to go in.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by an0maly33]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
i'm currently seeking work due to living in a tiny town with a crap economy but most of my skills are in accounting, tax preparation and audio production

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Panic, Disorder,Chaos.
My work here is done.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I am a cog in the failing public education system.

I work with MR/DD high school students at a special day school. MR - Mentally Retarded. DD - Dual Diagnoses. So they are slow and crazy. I mean really sick scary kind of crazy.

I enjoy my job at the present time.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I work for Rotor Blades Inc. in Louisiana. It's a sub of bell helicopter. We pretty much repair all Bell model helicopter blades, as well as some Sikorsky models.

I personally balance the blades. Very repetitive and technical. Tons and tons of numbers and equations. But time passes quickly. Always busy.

My coworkers are awesome, and when we do have down time we have a blast. It is honestly the best company I've ever worked for.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
:bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd:

Good days and bad days.
I manage apartment buildings and practice landlord/tenant law, and believe me, practice is the operative word.....

Any tenant problem becomes my problem, and it's not just heating or plugged sinks. Anyone having a domestic dispute, money problem, drug or alcohol issues, etc. It all lands on my plate.

I've given buzz cuts to most of the kids in summer, and even some of the men that needed their hair cut before a job interview or something. I use my first aid skills and kit to fix cuts and minor injuries, so even with free health care in my country the tenants come to the landlord for fixing their boo boo's. I've even had to wrestle a knife from one tenant that wanted to commit suicide.
Yes, I've had to call the police a number of times. I start to worry when me and the cops are on a first name basis, but the local police are great and handle every situation with total professionalism.

Problems aside, they are still my tenants and I care about each of them.

The legal side of my work is mostly before a tribunal or with mediators. Judges are getting to know me now, and they know they're in for some entertainment if I have a case before them. I've represented a lot of tenants for free if their landlord is out of line and they needed help. The court knows I don't defend unless I have a valid case and prosecuting a dirty landlord is just plain fun.

That's the part I enjoy.

The bad side of the job is prosecuting people for being poor and evicting them.
Slamming a single mother in court and asking for an eviction order is a tough thing to do. Then I have to be present when the Sheriff serves the eviction papers and I change the locks. It's never easy, especially if they have children and can't afford to move the furniture.

Like any job, it has some great rewards in that you get to know wonderful people and there is always something interesting going on, but it also has it's downside.

Edit: sp

[edit on 17/10/2008 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I work in a hotel in downtown Detroit. and not a nice hotel either.

I absolutely hate my job, I dread going in every single day. It's not my boss or any of the workers there. The reality is those people are alright. It's the customers.

The customers are to put it mildly aren't the cream of the crop of society.

More like the sludge at the bottom.

People that come to the hotel want hourly rates, (we don't offer hourly rates btw) they want the room for next to nothing even though it's downtown and prices downtown are more expensive than prices away from town. They want me to haggle with them and "make em a deal"

Then they check in saying they have one or two people, next thing you know I see on camera 8 - 12 people go into a room. When I confront them about the issue, I get the standard "no dog, not all of these people are staying, they are visitors" course those visitors will be there till 11 at check out If I don't kick them all out right then.

People that check in tend to break things on purpose, then have the audacity to call the front desk (if it wasn't the phone they just broke) and complain about the thing they just broke.

Most people that come to my hotel complain about having to show an ID, (if they actually have an ID) some will offer someone else's ID like I'm an idiot and can't tell that the person standing in front of me isn't the person in the photograph.

When we do manage to get a group from out of town or people that are respectable they are usually so scared by the resident population that inhabit the hotel they end up leaving.

And to top it all off every once and a while I get to have a nice chat with an FBI Agent asking if someone from out of state checked in paying cash!

[edit on 10/17/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'm a mock Iraqi for the US Army. I wear Iraqi type clothing and go out in the field where convoys of troops drive by and interact with them for training prior to them going overseas. It's a bizarre job. It can be both good and bad. It's bad when your out in the field and it's raining or cold with snow and there's practically no shelter. It's good when the day is nice and you can just sorta kick back and relax waiting for the next convoy while reading a book.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Organic Farmer , caretaker of elderly, farmer, and most important job of all Mom and Grandma.

Before this , well my history includes many many jobs.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Next to nothing. Paps owns a plumbing company. I deliver parts to the jobs when he needs it. I'm officially biochemically imballanced and have a disorder that leaves me stressed to the max, most of the time. Just got lab work done, and am on a program to correct the imbalances, so will be getting a full-time job when I get well.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I am a Volunteer at a Charity Shop.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I work for discount tire company, I order and buy over 2000 wheels per week. If you live in Colorado or Dallas and have bought wheels from discount in the last two years then chances are I created the purchase order for it.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Driver. Drive a technician around routes that stretch from 8-14 hours a day so that he fixes T-mobile phone calls. Great job. Great pay. Many hours. Usually no stress (except ones that are associated with driving) Work 4-7 days a week (currently 4, Friday and weekends off , but schedule changes next week)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I am an Administrative Assitant to both the GM & the Sales office where I work. I love my job, it comes with some pretty cool perks. But like anyone else I have days where I don't want to get my butt out of bed and go to work.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join