It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

contingency plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
After all the talk on here about what seems to be the impending declaration of martial law, and other obvious intents of the U.S. government to sidestep our Constitution, I have been doing a lot of thinking.

If the Gov't were to do these things, they would do everything they could to divide us as a people, as well as monitor and round up dissenters (by then they'd call us "domestic terrorists" though). This means they would be monitoring heavily the one medium that unites the people more than any other: The Internet.

Boards like this would either be shut down, or heavily monitored/tracked. In the event of something like this, has anyone on here set up a contingency plan? Should all these speculated actions take place, the American people will need to be unified more than ever to restore our country.

I was thinking of setting up an emergency forum that is heavily encrypted and hidden in a dark corner of the internet for just such a situation, but I'm not sure if anyone else has done the same.

any suggestions? I know people will think I'm overly paranoid, but hey, this is a conspiracy forum

I for one can not allow all this to go down. I took an oath in the military to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a little too far out there? or am I in the wrong forum?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It would seem to me that you would be hard-pressed to do any kind of encryption that 'they' couldn't decrypt. The mere fact that you were posting encrypted messages would attract the maximum amountof attention from the very people you'd least like to attract. And 'dark corner of the internet'? What???? Do you envision the internet as if it was a cluttered closet?

Bad idea, man. And IMHO un-doable and ill-advised.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Maybe I didn't explain it correctly though...

It would be possible if I bounce the URL to Anon proxies before prompting for a connection password. Then set it up as a VPN style network where users would "dial in" to a dedicated network I can set up as web hosting.

Since many many many businesses do VPN connections, it shouldn't raise suspicions, and all the incoming IP addresses would be bounced off Anon Proxy servers before reaching the prompt to enter the VPN network.

The difficulty about setting it up this way, (as well as an extra layer of security) would be users can be by invite only.

It is possible, just not easy.

This already happens more than you'd expect. I'm a member of a couple computer enthusiast sites that are completely hidden from the general public. These sites operate by creating a false "front" page that can be as elaborate as you need, and you have to circumvent some intentionally lax security protocols to access the real site, that routes you to a personal VPN network set up by the site owners. they don't show up on internet searches, as they are not officially part of the internet.

The routine maintenence on these sites is a bear, as anon proxies shut down, or remove the anon properties that made them inviting to use for this purpose to begin with.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by nj2day]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

It's a good idea but as the previous poster stated, you would draw unwanted attention. I wish I could offer up some other suggestions but I think the internet, above all else, would be under close scrutiny.

Who am I kidding? It already is.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by soldiermom
reply to post by nj2day

It's a good idea but as the previous poster stated, you would draw unwanted attention. I wish I could offer up some other suggestions but I think the internet, above all else, would be under close scrutiny.

Who am I kidding? It already is.

I could guarantee the anonymity of the users. I can't so much guarantee the anonymity of the host machine.

If I can figure out how to maintain the anonymity of the host server, this shouldn't be that difficult. I would have to host the SQL database on a separate machine in case the host ends up compromised. I'd also have to develop a "dead man switch" into the machine that hosts the SQL database. Thus, if the owner doesn't authenticate every 24 hours or so, the information on the machine gets wiped.

As I said, it is possible, just not even remotely easy.

top topics

join