It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manipulating your dreams.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Ever since i was really young, i was able to manipulate my dreams, to a certain degree. or so it would seem. before i was ten my mind felt like it was the same as tv when i was about to go to sleep. I was able to change my dream every time I closed my eyes. which was pretty cool, if i ever felt like the dream would be come scary, or just anoying, i would simply "reverse blink" (open my eyes, and close them again once, quickly), and my dream would change. As I got older, I found that even positions that I slept in would have a greater chance of being a certain genre (scary, adventurous, sexual, ect).

After stating that, you may be wondering how you could do the same, what positions, what ways of thinking, breathing, or anything else i was doing at the time.

Unfortunately, i cant explain it, which makes this topic more of a question, then a source of information.

However! i do have a few theories that hopefully someone can help me out with.

For Positions, it seems logical (from a person who doesn't know much about how the mind works) that when you sleep, lets say on your right side, the blood that acumulates more over on the right side would alter the thoughts that your brain would signal to you. Thus creating, whatever that side of the brain would usually make you think about. Or, the exact oposite. Having less blood in the left side of the brain, because your laying on your right side, would have that part of the brain work in a mildly different manner. and this would apply to any other position you were in. sleeping with no pillow on a more ferm bed would make blood acumulate more-so in the upper left or right side of the brain (unless you were sleeping on your back, in which case it would be center back). Sleeping with your face slightly tilted into a big soft pillow would then make the blood go a bit more to the front of the face. and so on.

Thus, manipulating your dreams.

However! I have found another way that seems to change dreams drastically.

Temperature. usually, back home in the winter (Alberta, Canada), it would obviously bring down the temperature of the room. usually around 20-21°c or even less some times. which would change my dreams to more softer, less energetic ones, possibly because blood flow would slow down somewhat. Whenever i travel to a hotter place, or have the heat blasting in the room to 23-30°c or more, then my dreams would tend to be more adventurous, scary, or sexual. probably because of the increased heart rate.

Now, there is one other thing that seems strange to me. Once a year, around the same time, i would have this horrible nightmare about the world ending, I would wake up in fear, and for some reason, everything seemed really fast. as if i was drugged. I would crawl on the floor, dizzy, everything duplicating in front of me as if i was drunk. everything vibrating, moving so fast even though it was still. one of the worst things i experience.

Why would that happen? why would it happen in roughly the same time period each year? is it a lunar effect? is it the way the earth is tilted? or is it just coincidence?

I do have some really cool dreams that i just cant explain, ones of which i seem to be conscious in. ones that i can truly manipulate. While dreaming, it seems as if I'm awake, i know that I'm dreaming, which means i have no fear, i have no bad feelings, i know whats happening. So what would anyone do? go on a fun rampage throughout where ever you were in that dream doing whatever you wanted. taking a sled off mount Everest. thinking of a billion dollars apearing in front of you and, even though you know you could just make it apear, spend the money on stuff you wanted just because you could. these are my favorite dreams, but i don't know how to recreate them.

So! I want answers! What have you experienced that made you able to manipulate and control the way you dream, or the events inside your dream? what, scientifically, causes your dreams to change? chemical? temperature? what?

and also, just for the heck of it, what has been your favorite, and worst, dreams you've ever experienced and why?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Ive bought stuff in dreams before only be be really sad when I wake up and its not there, haha.

what food, and the time you eat has alot to do with it from my understanding.

the one thing that i can seemingly do at will is a super jump. im not going to call it "flight" because it never feels like i am in complete control. its more like "oh my god, how have i been able to jump this high up?" usually i get to about half a mile up and then im instantly in another dreamscape.

Im kind of an alcoholic, but ive noticed on nights when i go to sleep with an unintoxicated mind i am 500% more likely to have some control.

Now, to get deep for a second, how do we know its control on our end? maybe your dreams are constructed in your own mind to playout like your in control, but its just a feeling and when we do what we want in our dreams, its just a reflection of how you would want to do the same thing in the woken world.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I have lucid dreams a lot. They are a lot of fun. For me its fun to go exploring .
Walking in and out of buildings. Creating a nice lanscape.

I used to have dreams where I fall off a cliff. One time this dream was lucid, and said hell with it, and fell into the water, breathed under the water and it was an under water paradise .

I have those dreams where I get a big hit on a slot machine and wake up and go darn,lol

Ama

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I used to dream more but it mostly goes just blank nowadays it seems, the fluoride conspiracy probably

when I was young I could control most of them too (not with sleeping positions like you described, just with my mind)but there was one returning nightmare I had for a while.

I fell asleep and after a while I dreamed it was complete darkness and the feeling I was falling and kept falling until the moment I was right awake and up in my bed.

I am glad that dream never returned but I seem to miss out on a lot of good dreams nowadays.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Im sure anyone can do it. If you can "find your hands" without waking up, you can take control. Finding your hands is seeing and understanding you can move your hands in a dream. You will probably wake up several times befor youre really able to take control. Thats the hard part really. Once youve mastered this-the sky is the limit. literally. I enjoyed flying most of all. places, people, situations-anything is easy to make a dream-reality once you take control without waking up. I was even able to wake up and then return to the same dream. some believe that "heaven" is your dreams when you can control them. I havent done this in years because it became like an addiction to me. Reality was just no substitute when you could have anything.

Its easier to make it personal at first. I dreamed that i was brushing out a horse. Something i have done alot. I concentrated on my hand with the brush in it and when i took control of the brushing (instead of letting the dream brush away) i knew it and woke up very excited. Several tries later i had it down. The key is knowing you are dreaming and not waking. The best way for me to describe it is letting youre minds eye move your hands-if you just try hard to move you will wake up, probably from moving in reality.

Find your hands. If you try this, you will wake up and think of this thread/post and be very excited. I thought of joining here to start a thread about this, just dont need the negativity.

Find your hands. WARNING-reality sucks when you can do anything. If you become adept at it youre personal life may suffer.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

As another poster has identified, this is called 'lucid dreaming' - it's a technique that some people naturally have, but it can also be learned. It's very effective if you can do it, in working through problems you're having in real life.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
There are a few great books I read that are linked to this topic that I'd recommend.

1. The Art of Dreaming - Carlos Castaneda
2. The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep - Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

My interest in this topic started in an October 1987 Omni Magazine I read when I was young. It had a insert in it that listed 12 ways to control your dreams. I tried it over the next few weeks and was extremely surprized by the results. Actually remembering that a few months ago prompted me to go out and find it online and I now have it in my possesion again.

Dreams have really been a place for me to think out future situations, find amazing inspiration and go to places far far beyond anything we know or understand.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by atzmaz

I want so bad to achieve a lucid dream. Hasn't happened yet. But I did have a dream last night that Obama got elected. It's a long dream but it ends with him naming me one of his advisors.

Weird thing is, I don't even like the guy. Back on topic though, I've always had vivid dreams, I just can't seem to become lucid. Sucks.

-Dev

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

I have been trying forever to have lucid dreams too and not succeeded. Plus last night I weirdly had a dream that Obama was planning his campaign speech, he said something about the "intelligent americans" and I said something like, "What intelligent americans?"

Kind of similar to your dream of becoming one of his advisors as I was giving him speech advice. I also do not like him very much either. This is very wierd for me, because this never happens. I always thought I just had very weird dreams.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
hmm, lucid dream, any tips on how to constantly have these?

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
my only experience with the physical situation(position, temperature etc) affecting dreams is that whenever i fall asleep on my back i have a nightmare almost immediately and wake up. sometimes when i am in more control of my perception i do something in the dream that would bother me in real life and wake myself up essentially. don't know why but it happens without fail. sometimes i roll onto my back while sleeping and the same thing happens.

to answer the above question, lucid dreaming takes practice, that is the long and short of it.
the somewhat better news is that it's pretty easy. the most popular method is getting in the habit of very regularly(as in, whenever you think to) checking the clock and asking yourself if you're dreaming.
dreaming is just the nebulous collection of World Stuff In Your Brain(which amounts to your personality and understanding of the world) wandering through itself. when i am meditating regularly and in the habit of directly and deeply facing whatever is happening while it happens it's very easy for me to wake up to some degree in a dream. there have been times when i recognize that part of me is missing or something is off and from there i realize that either i'm drunk or dreaming. i've also had times where i tried meditating in a dream but it just makes me wake up a second after i realize i'm asleep, imagine that.
so really the only trick to it is organizing yourself to some degree to have a habit of investigating the reality presented to you instead of merely accepting and interacting with it in a reactionary sort of way. ATS should eat that right up, huh?

edit: some stuff didn't make sense

[edit on 18-10-2008 by sidewayszombie]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I frequently have lucid dreams. If something isn't going my way, I can alter it without waking up. Its very interesting.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
i've been a lucid dreamer for years.
over the years i've learned how to "fly" out of sticky situations. only recently have i encountered others that can fly.

i often times entertain the idea that while dreaming, your actually in another dimmention.

i've also had one particular dream where i learned the death of one of my dear friends the same night he was killed, and a person in the dream told me what was going to happen. and it did in real life. (i woke up and got to office to find a very disturbing phone message telling me about my friend's death)

THAT alone showed me that there's more out there than meets the eye.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
i've been a lucid dreamer for years.
over the years i've learned how to "fly" out of sticky situations. only recently have i encountered others that can fly.

i often times entertain the idea that while dreaming, your actually in another dimmention.

i've also had one particular dream where i learned the death of one of my dear friends the same night he was killed, and a person in the dream told me what was going to happen. and it did in real life. (i woke up and got to office to find a very disturbing phone message telling me about my friend's death)

THAT alone showed me that there's more out there than meets the eye.

any tips for us?

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Dream-flight is the aspect of lucid dreaming I have most commonly experienced. I start up by 'running my legs' (like riding a bike) to gain altitude. It is hard to keep balance and I often will fall and wake up. I use it from time to time to get out of 'lost' situations, or to get to the next level of dreaming where I can work out real-life details in my mind-self.

Lucid dreaming is not fiction. It can be pursued by simply realizing that you are dreaming. People that have dreams where you realize that you are 'doing' rather that 'have things happen' are most likely candidates for lucid dreams. With practice you can dream lucidly most every night.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I have had many lucid dreams.. that was shortly after my dad died as he was in the dream. outside events may also help w/ manipulation of dreams btw if not already mentioned didnt read all the posts. (had a dream of his death a year before the actual day. i awoke saying to myself the day he would die and how, which he did in reality, tho the military says differently on how.. :/ ) well anyways it was a really short one unfortunately b/c of how i realized it and i freaked out cuase for a while i couldnt wake up & was trying to. i was like stuck for idk felt like hrs but in reality was only minutes. i realized i was dreaming cuase i found my hands like the one person posted. but didnt think anything of it at the time till reading that. I've also had one that i experience everynight theres a full moon and especially when the atmosphere makes it look like dif colors. like red or orange. the end of the world type crap. i also had the symptoms mentioned, same dream everytime, can control some of wat i do sometimes anways. but all i can recall is the other dream has to do w/ our new comm n chief. oddly. but w/e and that it supposedly will happen very very soon.. russia, iran,syria, n & s. korea get involved...thats i know.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I had to learn how to do lucid dreaming since I had a recurring dream since I was a small child until almost 18 where I was drowning in a car that went off the road into water. I started, in real life, carrying a knife with me so in my dream I would know where to look and found it and cut the stuck seat belt saving myself. That helped cut down on the dream alot.

Dreaming of drowning several times a week your entire life really sucks. However, it gave me the strength to learn an amazing ability which has come in handy with horrible dreams. Freddy Kruger bites the dust... yep.. had a dream of him after that - it was funny. I watched a movie when I was a little girl about this guy who would go to sleep and go into OTHER person's dreams and he was trying to stop the killer ... anyway... scifi story which triggered me to try. Took several months but hey I had time.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Its very interesting to find this post, I really thought i was alone. Some of my experiences are similar but other are not.
I used to have the same dream every time I was sick or having a fever. The dream was very weird and scary. I was in this very hot place and people were screaming constantly, Then it was like I was dizzy and then I was being moved very fast in a circular motion the all over sudden stopped... This dream was exactly the same every time with no variations. As for being awake in a dream, I could easily manipulate my dream but after some practice although there was some issues when I was having nightmares.. There was this nightmare where I took over and stopped being scared but then it became deserted and there was absolute silence and there was nobody and couldn't wake up willingly as I did normal dreams. Anyway as far as knowing how to control your dream goes there are alot of references out there just Google you should stumble into something.

new topics

top topics

join