It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Spending To Recreate the 'Smell Of Outer Space'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
uk.news.yahoo.com...

I hope you will be as delighted as I was to learn that NASA have decided to recreate the 'smell of space'.

I know that this is a vital factor in the progression of our technology and knowledge to further our understanding of space.

Definately money well spent.

/sarcasm off.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I think it's funny that space would smell like a fried steak! Maybe it's their brains being fried from all the radio waves out there?! lol

Anyways... I'd say money well spent by NASA!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Oh yes, seeing as new propulsion technology works on scent, this is marvelous news.
And they wonder why the are underfunded.... It would seem cheaper to conduct this Smell experiment inside a welding shop located next to an Outback restaraunt...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Maybe it's their brains being fried from all the radio waves out there?!

Haha, they should have been wearing tin foil hats! Solves everything.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Regarding the smell in space, guess what moon dust smells like:

How do you sniff moondust?

Every Apollo astronaut did it. They couldn't touch their noses to the lunar surface. But, after every moonwalk (or "EVA"), they would tramp the stuff back inside the lander. Moondust was incredibly clingy, sticking to boots, gloves and other exposed surfaces. No matter how hard they tried to brush their suits before re-entering the cabin, some dust (and sometimes a lot of dust) made its way inside.

Once their helmets and gloves were off, the astronauts could feel, smell and even taste the moon.

The experience gave Apollo 17 astronaut Jack Schmitt history's first recorded case of extraterrestrial hay fever. "It's come on pretty fast," he radioed Houston with a congested voice. Years later he recalls, "When I took my helmet off after the first EVA, I had a significant reaction to the dust. My turbinates (cartilage plates in the walls of the nasal chambers) became swollen."

Hours later, the sensation faded. "It was there again after the second and third EVAs, but at much lower levels. I think I was developing some immunity to it."

"It is really a strong smell," radioed Apollo 16 pilot Charlie Duke. "It has that taste -- to me, [of] gunpowder -- and the smell of gunpowder, too." On the next mission, Apollo 17, Gene Cernan remarked, "smells like someone just fired a carbine in here."

At the end of a long day on the moon, Apollo 17 astronaut Gene cernan rests inside the lunar module Challenger. Note the smudges of dust on his longjohns and forehead. Photo credit: Jack Schmitt.

science.nasa.gov...

[edit on 16-10-2008 by ziggystar60]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Space smells like Vacuum. Vacuum has no smell. Please give me 6 billion dollars for finishing the job early.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
when will it be available in magic tree format?

and will it outsell new car scent?

this ranks right up there with the study on why cornflakes go soggy they did a few years back

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

I like the one where they spent 2 million tax payer dollars to see if a fighter pilot could hold his eyes open when he sneezed.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I think it's safe to say it;

A Ridiculously Stupid Experiment.

or ARSE for short.

It was on everyones lips, i just wanted to make it clear.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ExistenceUnknown

science one of the best and possibly stupidist ideas humans ever had all at the same time

reply to post by Unsane

i can deffinatley state there was no arse on my lips ... well except that one time... we were drunk .... she thought it might be fun ..... i was already wearing her underwear ....... think ive said to much already .....

[edit on 16/10/08 by noobfun]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExistenceUnknown
reply to post by noobfun

I like the one where they spent 2 million tax payer dollars to see if a fighter pilot could hold his eyes open when he sneezed.

Made me laugh out loud with that one - people in work now think i'm a little bit strange. (they would be correct).

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ExistenceUnknown

i thought that was mythbusters?

they did a proper high budget sciencey test too .. thats stupendous

[edit on 16/10/08 by noobfun]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
How can you smell outer space? 0.0

Seems to me the are trying to recreate the smell of the space station's air or of the astronauts suits after a spacewalk. Those suits are bombarded by all kinds of radiations. I'm sure in the end they smell like hot metal or welding.
That is one misleading news title...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

Mythbusters did a segment on if it was possible to hold your eyes open while sneezing. I heard on the Neil Boortz show, which does a segment on goverment waste, about the fighter pilot thing. I believe they spent money on methods of holding the eyes open while sneezing, not just the research on if you could do it unaided. But then again I had no references on this so it could all be BS.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
ummmmm........ If one were to `smell` outer space would not said one be quite dead quite fast?? And how exactly can a total vacuum smell like anything ??

new topics

join