It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government unveils 'Big Brother' plan: Now they want to snoop on every phone call, email and text

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Government unveils 'Big Brother' plan: Now they want to snoop on every phone call, email and text message

www.dailymail.co .uk

Plans for a massive expansion of ‘Big Brother’ state surveillance to cover every phone call, email, text message and internet visit in Britain were unveiled yesterday.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith claimed
that storing details of individuals’ communications was vital to prevent further terrorist atrocities.

Activities which will be subject to snooping for the first time include visits
to social networking sites such as Facebook, auction sites such as eBay, gaming websites and chatrooms.

Police and security services will not be
able to access the precise content but will know each site visited, and to whom and when a phone call, text message or email was sent.

If this sets alarm bells ringing, they could seek a Ministerial warrant to intercept exactly what is being sent, including the content.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.pcpro.co.uk

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
To me, increased surveillance only guarantees that collusion will take place face to face in boiler rooms where surveillance is not present. Rather than taking advantage of technology to commit crimes, the technology will simply be used to create decoys while the real planning will take place off of the grid.

The ideas that all individuals need policing only promotes the idea that more individuals will be policed. Thus making it easier for criminals to blend in with law abiding citizens rather than stick out. Authorities will spend more time vetting the actions of everyday Joes rather than focusing on the few individuals that merit scrutiny for criminal activity.

In other words, the number of crimes and unsolved crimes will increase rather than decrease. Terrorist activity will become more difficult to monitor as more white noise is added to the picture.

www.dailymail.co .uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Starred and Flagged

You make some good points

which reveal that this plan has nothing to do with containing terrorism

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Isn't there a couple of threads already current on this same topic already?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
yeah theres 3 or 4 from yesterday

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
heres a link to the thread i started over a week ago about this,
www.abovetopsecret.com...&colorshift=yes
i think this is an important thing to keep an eye on as things seem to be speeding up in the NWO takeover. maybe the mods can link the threads concerning this together ?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Hows about this for practical.
Cut the waste of stupid funding from all this spying junk.
And spend it on things that are needed like schools health care and support for the people who actually PAID the damn money in there taxes.

You'd think that was common sense almost wouldn't you?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Areal51

MINISTERS were today warned by their own anti-terrorism watchdog that plans to log every phone call, email and internet visit in the UK could turn into an "awful" Big Brother nightmare.

www.thisislondon.co.uk...

Evening Standard, London - "Lord Carlile of Berriew, the independent reviewer of anti-terrorist laws, said he was concerned by suggestions that such a large volume of private information could be stored on one vast new database.

He said there would be the risk of the data being used for unjustified "fishing expeditions" into the private lives of targeted individuals. He also expressed concern over Whitehall's recent "unhappy record" of losing supposedly secure data."

www.thisislondon.co.uk...

thought this was a relavant update. Interesting he mentions lost British data as there are conspiracies regarding these (see ATS link Conspiracy of missing British Data) Thanks for the post - I started another before realizing I should post here - it should be deleted by now - thanks again.

ColoradoJens

[edit on 16-10-2008 by ColoradoJens]

[edit on 16-10-2008 by ColoradoJens]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Nice post.

I'm wondering if I should create a post to teach ATS members how to surf the net and send emails anonymously through proxy servers and such.

I'm curious to see if the Gov't has the capability to listen in on VOIP telephone service.

If there is any interest in anonymous emailing and websurfing and the like, I'll take the time to type it up in layman terms for everyone

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
REPLY TO NJ2DAY (no reply function working)

I would gladly take you up on that, as I am a layman. Thanks for the offer and I hope more reply to your offer to make it worth your time.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
And if you read what some of our UK members say about us citizens here in the U.S. as being brainwashed and doing nothing to curb big brother here and yet they are the most surveillanced country in the world with 1 camera for every 15 people. Not to mention the complete invasion of privacy by their Government .

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
REPLY TO NJ2DAY (no reply function working)

I would gladly take you up on that, as I am a layman. Thanks for the offer and I hope more reply to your offer to make it worth your time.

ColoradoJens

K... I'll toss something together w/links to sites and stuff you can use, and post it in a new thread.

I'll come back and link to the thread when its done.

Everyone should know how to remain anonymous on the web

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Here is a thread I put together for you on maintaining your anonymity on the internet.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Happy surfing

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I think the table needs to be turned, and it should be the president right on down the line that need to be snooped on. I wonder if they think people will put up with their garbage. The only way they will get away with it, is if people don`t wake up and remain to be sheep. Well, i guess what can we expect, when we have a government who thinks fixing the economic problem takes dumping billions of dollars we don`t have into the market, then over taxing the people on top of it to pay for it. I think instead of calling it Washington DC, it should be call Morons R US.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

From my own experience, people are not that interested. I'm not sure why. I've tried to establish encrypted email communication and IM chats with my friends, and none of them are interested. Actually, I've been trying for nearly nine years, and it's a whole lot easier to understand and set up email and chat clients for secure communication today than it was in 2000. Seems the only thing that people care about securing are financial related transactions, which to me is kind of silly when compared to idea of one's written communications being harvested and stored someplace indefinitely for unknown purposes.

At the very least we know that our financial transactions are protecting by privacy agreements between ourselves, retailers, and the banks. But our everyday conversations, our private thoughts about any range of things that we communicate to others, are not secure and are open to anybody with the means and motives to snoop.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I agree with Lord Carlile of Berriew. Whether such a database would be maintained and overseen by government, private companies, or a combination of both, the temptation to use such information for the purpose of profit and blackmail would be tremendous to unethical persons who would be in a position to commit such abuses of power. And even if the chances of that are low, government only needs to expand the scope of use of such information beyond the proposed use to fight terrorism.

If such a program failed, what guarantees would the public have that all of the information collected would be securely purged from databanks to prevent future unauthorized access?

The plan really is a "nightmare" in the making.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo they are the most surveillanced country in the world with 1 camera for every 15 people.

Please do a search on this as it's been debunked so many times now. Most of the cameras are privately-owned by businesses to catch shoplifters etc.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
NJ2DAY - THANK YOU

This is the reason I come here. The link to the post indicated it wasn't available...thanks again.

CJ

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

Well since your link is not working here is some info for you guys that are interested how-maintain-your-anonymity-online.

www.citmedialaw.org...

www.onlinehowto.net...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoswatchinwho i think this is an important thing to keep an eye on as things seem to be speeding up in the NWO takeover. maybe the mods can link the threads concerning this together ?

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this statement? You have ALL been brainwashed by your own fears. You want to keep an eye on your fears and your fears are becoming your reality. If everyone would quit watching everyone else with suspicious eyes and just start taking some action, maybe the thing that everyone is REALLY afraid of will happen already. CHANGE!! it is looooong overdue. I know most everyone else feels ready too which is why you are all freaking the flip out.

There is no great man behind the curtain pulling the strings besides the one who is viewing my words now. Let go of the fear and learn to walk with confidence.
It should at least be a new feeling for you.. you know, pure confidence that comes with realizing you are only you RIGHT NOW and it is YOUR eye that has been watching your every move. Appreciate the experience or you WILL drive yourself further into madness.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join