It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How private are U2Us?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
This is just purely out of curiosity. Are 'private messages' here monitored at all? Do Tc&Cs also apply or can we say pretty much what we like without offending the recipient of course?
I hav no intenton of swearing, abusing or badmouthing anyone, but like I said I am just curious.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
As far as I am aware, they are not monitored exactly. I believe that SO has access to them, and is the only one who does aside from the sender and recipient, but does not look at them unless someone files a complaint about a U2U they have received. There was a thread about it somewhere I think, I'll go see if I can dig it up.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I'm thinking... try it and let the rest of us know

I 'believe' the messages are monitored but not censored, to some degree.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I obviously am not staff here, but anything you type anywhere on the internet, whether it be here, on a email service, an online game, etc, is text that passes through servers along the route to the destination server. That text can be monitored by any number of people along that route, even if encrypted. So my suggestion is not to publish anything online that you are not willing to have be public. I have seen people get busted in online games for something they said, which only required the server administrator to run an SQL search through the server logs.

I know that it has come up before that people have been banned from here for abusing the U2U system.

[edit on 10/16/2008 by defcon5]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Still can't find the exact thread I am looking for but I did find this one.

Our Commitment Communication Privacy:

Members are provided with a private messaging system (U2U service) as part of their account privileges. Every reasonable effort is made to ensure the private messaging system is maintained in a secure fashion so as to ensure the privacy of any and all messages sent between members. Staff and/or owners will not observe the content or flow of any private messaging unless explicit reports of Terms & Conditions violations are received. The private messages may be subject to run-time content filtering (such as vulgarities) that is used to filter the content of thread posts

I'll keep looking though cause I know I didn't dream up the thread I remember!

Edit to say, apparently I did dream it up.. Can't seem to find it anywhere though I've searched at least 5 different ways. Oh well, my quote and link above cover it.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by Jenna]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

You mean like that sexy U2U you sent to a fellow member thinking he was a girl... We're all still having a laugh at that one. It's up on the staff bar fridge actually...

Seriously though... U2Us are pretty much as private as privacy goes on ATS. As said earlier S.O. is the only person that can read U2Us, and he will do so only when he has a good reason to suspect a breach of T&C...

Why? What/Whom have you been U2Uing?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Only SO can read u2us. U2us are not monitored. But keep T&C in mind when writing u2us. SO can check them on demand, if we i.e. receive a complaint.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Yay - Got my Wolf/Sheep fix for the day... Best avatar on ATS IMHO...

Thanks for the question about U2Us - I was wondering myself.
No plans (of yet) to get frisky, but, you never know!
*wink*
(/kidding)
No, I was interested in sending some personal information to a friend here from the States, but wasn't sure of security.

Thanks Again!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Thanks all,
I was just wondering about personal info like silo13.
I havent said anything yet personal or offensive, but you never know when the need might arise.

Originally posted by Gemwolf
reply to post by VIKINGANT

You mean like that sexy U2U you sent to a fellow member thinking he was a girl... We're all still having a laugh at that one. It's up on the staff bar fridge actually...

What is more disturbing was the reply
I am still not sure thatis legal in many countries...

Why? What/Whom have you been U2Uing?

Your gonna have to ask SO I'm afraid....

Why do I suddenly get the feeling any future U2U will be watched?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
.........Rush runs away from thread to go delete all incriminating U2U's.....

Rush

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
Why do I suddenly get the feeling any future U2U will be watched?

You're on ATS. You're supposed to be paranoid.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Good point. Even though we own or share copyright with ATS for what we post here, the owners of ATS the website and therefore have access to anything and everything associated with the site itself.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
LOL..
Ive been seeing this issue alot lately..

some website owners actively snoop through PMs.. for fun..
I think that is absolutely ridiculous..
that is the same as Google reading through ur Gmail.. or
MS reading though your Hotmail.. it is on their servers right? lol

but in the event of PM abuse.. you need to have the ability to read
through a given PM.. because forwarding may be the product of manipulation..

so, the old saying is right.. if you dont want your momma reading it..
dont type it into the keyboard.. :-p

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
look, i was in the computer business for 15 years up to the year 2006, and i can tell you, whatever you type on the computer can be read by somebody...if they have enough time and motivation. you can keep 99.99999% of the people out, but being 100% secure, that's a fairy tale.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Is it a bug making an unread incoming u2u appear as read? I received one last night but didn't view it because it was about 4 A.M. and I was tired. When I went to bed it was still emboldened, as in unread... When I woke up this afternoon it was not. Why is that?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cadbury
Is it a bug making an unread incoming u2u appear as read? I received one last night but didn't view it because it was about 4 A.M. and I was tired. When I went to bed it was still emboldened, as in unread... When I woke up this afternoon it was not. Why is that?

You sleepwalked to your computer and opened your pm. Then you sent Nigerian scam letters to 6 new people, channelled the GFL and learnt the true reason for the hold-up, broke into the house 3 doors down and ate their kids' school lunches, and on the way home made the local bag-lady very happy.

A quieter night than usual.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
This is just purely out of curiosity. Are 'private messages' here monitored at all? Do Tc&Cs also apply or can we say pretty much what we like without offending the recipient of course?
I hav no intenton of swearing, abusing or badmouthing anyone, but like I said I am just curious.

Any PM you send on a forum can be read by anyone with administrative privileges if they choose. I'd expect that they mostly have better things to do with their time.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

You sleepwalked to your computer and opened your pm. Then you sent Nigerian scam letters to 6 new people, channelled the GFL and learnt the true reason for the hold-up, broke into the house 3 doors down and ate their kids' school lunches, and on the way home made the local bag-lady very happy.

A quieter night than usual.

I have no words. I thought I'd never witness the day when I, perhaps the most absurd and surreal poster to ever grace this venue with his shining magnificence, am totally and utterly upstaged on the power-gibberish and spontaneity fronts.

Bravo, Sir. Bravo!

I walk away a beaten man.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

Nay, gentle sir.

When Salome performed her sexy sussurations for King Herod, was he beaten?
Was the great Lord upstaged when his sweet seductress freed herself of the seventh veil?
Not at all. By his audience he did her honour, his greatness inspiring her every move.
Like her, I only beg to please, and to savour the flavour of your favour.

Btw, it's Madam, and has been for a long, long time.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cadbury
I walk away a beaten man.

Mon Capitan, would you rather not have this one (Kailassa) on your crew?

Anyway, if privacy is indicated, exchange public keys so you may encrypt and base-64 encode your messages which should keep any peeping toms away.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join