It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Troublemakers Will Hear A Voice From Above

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Troublemakers Will Hear A Voice From Above

www.news.com.au

A QUEENSLAND city is to install CCTV cameras that "speak" to potential troublemakers before they do anything wrong, the Courier-Mail reports.

Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale said it was community policing at its best.

"This is not about Big Brother spying on law-abiding citizens. This is about telling the morons who cause civic damage and destruction that they are not welcome in our city."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.news.com.au

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   

They are the latest addition to the city's army of 160 "Big Brother-style" security cameras...

Somehow this disturbs me more (coming from Australia) than if I'd heard of (more) cameras being set up in the UK or USA.
Not sure where I get the feeling Australians wouldn't "put up with this"...

As for this not being *Big Brother*...? Gaw....

Do Australians find this infringement on their privacy troubling, or just another notch in the belt in the fight against crime thank you Mayor Paul Pisasale?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
*BEEP*

"john spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute"

sorry, that sort of reminded me of the movie Demolition Man

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
They've been trialling these in Britain for a while.
I remember seeing on TV a presenter drop a piece of litter, only to hear "Pick that up!!" shouted through a speaker.
Not a bad idea, but certainly invasive.

Especially when they recently put up large speakers on the ridiculous amount of cameras in my nearest town.
Theres literally nowhere to hide there now. If you're being watched and disappear off the cameras altogether then you're almost guaranteed to be in one of 3 or 4 places they don't cover.
They know where you are and what you're doing 99% of the time in that town now.
Wigan, if anybody was wondering.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfisolated
They've been trialling these in Britain for a while.
I remember seeing on TV a presenter drop a piece of litter, only to hear "Pick that up!!" shouted through a speaker.
Not a bad idea, but certainly invasive.

Especially when they recently put up large speakers on the ridiculous amount of cameras in my nearest town.
Theres literally nowhere to hide there now. If you're being watched and disappear off the cameras altogether then you're almost guaranteed to be in one of 3 or 4 places they don't cover.
They know where you are and what you're doing 99% of the time in that town now.
Wigan, if anybody was wondering.

I live just outside Manchester and I've been anticipating them coming here for a while. I'm not entirely sure how this will work though to be honest. I personally don't leave the house without an MP3 player so I wouldn't hear these things barking at me anyway.

One major loophole I've thought of is the Disability Discrimination Act and the concept of 'reasonable adjustment'. I'm familiar with this through past employment and I know a lot of d/Deaf people. By law, these machines shouldn't discriminate against people with hearing issues and yet they do as they offer no alternative method of communicating with the d/Deaf community. It's not as if these speakers are offering an obvious, universal message such as 'fire!' which means alternative means of communicating such as flashing lights is impractical.

Also, what about people who actually don't speak English? How will that work. My local council has to provide a very comprehensive interpreting service as spoken English is a serious issue for many people where I live. So how will the speaker operator actually know the language spoken by the person they're trying to communicate with? A press #1 for Arabic, press #2 for Polish &c type system.

It's an idiotic idea that's just unworkable.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Barathrum
*BEEP*

"john spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute"

that's exactly what i thought! stared!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
See what democracy will accomplish? BAD IDEA!

However, people are already trapped in their own paranoia and thus to expound on why it is a bad idea is pointless. Point fingers outward (to the government or anyone else) and you will only help to further push yourself into the trap that you have been preparing. Mind manipulation anyone? The govt's of the world don't have to do anything but make you believe you are being watched and that there is a reason to be watched. Much more effective way of imprisoning the public, don't ya think?

INSANE!! you are all being driven and some have already been trapped into insanity. Turn off the scary news that makes you feel there is a "they" who are out to get you, walk outside and then realize that you just walked outside and no one kept you from doing it.

This paranoia is getting worse, thus security will get worse because people will cry for it out of their paranoia, and round and round it will go until everyone is trapped in their own personal hell..... Humans are actually a skittish species that can easily be thrown into madness without their even realizing it.

The only way to break yourself out of it is to face the cold hard truth. You are not in control of tomorrow or yesterday and you have NO RIGHT TO CONTROL ANYONE! Not a single person. INSANE!! If you realize it for what it is and have confidence in yourself as an individual able to govern yourself and quit trying to secure something that doesn't exist, the cameras will no longer exist although you won't notice because you will be too busy existing in the moment... and never is a person truly guilty for more than a moment

[edit on 16-10-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

you brought up some very great points that i never would have considered. i am hard of hearing myself but i didn't even think of the implications. i gave you a star because a lot of people have probably not thought about these things. good work!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Barathrum
*BEEP*

Ok now that is just scary! And some time down the line it could be a every day thing. Meh no more freedom.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
So this is where you hate me...

I do this for a living. I laugh about the fact I AM Big Brother. The problem is, these things are as inneficient as the humans that run them. Any demo of course is going to look stellar.

The reality is The Cameras are terribly jerky, extremely slow to move and adjust, and prone to freezing.

Also Police who would work in conjuction with these camera's are as tired of their jobs, as anyone else. The less paperwork the better. How do you get less paperwork? Slow response time, and pragmatically targeting BIG FINE offenses, not small vandalism and personal drug use incidents.

So fear not, THE GREAT POLICE STATE is filled with people just like you who only work as hard as it takes to keep their jobs. Ask yourself how passionate are you about what you do? How passionate are you 3,4,5 and 10 years down the line doing the same thing?

Now Ponder That...

-ADHD

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADHDsux4me
So this is where you hate me...

I do this for a living. I laugh about the fact I AM Big Brother. The problem is, these things are as inneficient as the humans that run them. Any demo of course is going to look stellar.

I've made a similar point about things like databases elsewhere on this board today. The potential for failure in all these schemes is down to the human element at the end of the chain.

However, the actual intent is the problem here.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ADHDsux4me
Which is why the puppet-masters won't leave it at this.

They won't rest until we all have receivers implanted at birth which pick up both "the Voice of God", and electric shocks, automatically administered, when we don't obey fast enough.

Unless they are stopped.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ADHDsux4me

So it’s your job, being Big Brother.
(eek!)
Can’t hate you for that - would imply I’d judge, and I try not to (well at least in this case).

Does it bother you at all you‘ve got your “hands dirty” doing this?
Or do you see it that way at all?
(Working as a tool of Big Brother)?

Please don’t be insulted - I’m not taking jabs at you, I'm just curious.
Then again it’s none of my business is it, how you feel?
But if you’d care to answer, thank you in advance.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

Turn off the scary news that makes you feel there is a "they" who are out to get you,

It doesn’t take being paranoid.

You say to 'go outside' get away from *them*?
Ok, let's try just that!

Let’s try this Saturday.

* Sleep in!
Wait.
Nope, have to get up in time to place your *bin* outside on the street, directly where you’ve been told to, at exactly the right time. 'Wrong day' bin penalty - mum fined £265

* Make some breakfast.
Wait!
That card you used at the store records all your purchases - A number for every item on the planet and soon will track when you’re ready to buy again (if they don’t already).

* Take a walk to the park.
Nope!
Those shoes you bought from Colors of Benetton have RFID trackers in the heals.

* At the park.
Yeah Right!
Check the corners of the playground - Say Cheese and Wave to the Cameras! (See original post)

* Home again!
Make some *Car For Sale* posters, print them out to post on your car.
HA! Tracking Code Discovered in Color Printers

Oh, and that car you're trying to sell in your own front yard. You might want to think again! You might get a fine!

Want me to go on or do you get my point?

Golda Meir said ..."Even paranoids have enemies"...

Now, we all have enemies.

There's no escape anymore.

...taps...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Personally,

I have my own problems to worry about, bills to pay. I don't really think abut it, what I do.

I go through the motions, and only record BLATANT problems. The technology the company I work for has, is reserved only for high crime areas.

We see drug deals, and loitering mostly.

Sure, you can worry about it all. As soon as we just accept that the only way to undo this as a society, is to sacrifice our comforts and make decisions for change on a massive scale.

Since also the PUBLIC is not anywhere nearly as well organized as our BIG government and it's police state, there really isn't much we are going to do about it. They don't listen to our votes, and arrest us when we protest against it.

Since I'm not capable of making any significant change to the way my country is run. I making the best of what I've got. Accepting it, is completely realistic.

It all comes down to just how comfortable you are knowing THEY COULD watch you at any time. Do they watch you at anytime? That's a different story.

-ADHD

new topics

top topics

join