It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's happened with our page views?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

... and just about all other sites with user-generated comments and replies with very-high traffic don't log real-time views.

Aah, the owner's claim is way off. Anyone can check:
rankings.big-boards.com...

Much harder task though is to figure out what kind of conspiracy the removal of the view feature supports. I guess, one needs to turned paranoid to figure that out.

The truth is simple: ATS server is not up to the task to serve well. But it handles exceptionally well the task of filling your temp Internet files with garbage.

/end of bitching/ [3 words]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander

Much harder task though is to figure out what kind of conspiracy the removal of the view feature supports. I guess, one needs to turned paranoid to figure that out.

The truth is simple: ATS server is not up to the task to serve well. But it handles exceptionally well the task of filling your temp Internet files with garbage.

I don't see any views on the forums you linked there. I checked the top 3, and none of them have views listed. Why? Because he is telling the truth. I would call them out on it quickly if it wasn't the case.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   

You forgot to sort by traffic...

Really? And you have yet more false assumptions upon which to back that up? I've already asked once about this.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

I don't see any views on the forums you linked there. I checked the top 3, and none of them have views listed. Why? Because he is telling the truth. I would call them out on it quickly if it wasn't the case.

You need to do some clicking to see the views. Here is forum ranked #3 - Nexopia - handling like 200,000 views.
www.nexopia.com...
On this site, you need to click on a particular topic to see the view counter.

[link to inappropriate content removed]

Just take a random sample, like 30 sites, and checked them out. But you need to click on a particular topic, otherwise you may miss.

There is a simple remedy to the problem:
www.karakas-online.de...

Well, maybe it's not that simple.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I am an expert in this field. This is what I do for a living. I've already posted the solution to the problem, and then you will not have live counts, but you do get a view count. And the solution I posted requires a bit of programming to do.

Go ask any programmer who works in a high traffic or production type environment and they will tell you the same. All you are doing is making yourself look bad.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

You forgot to sort by traffic...

No, I didn't forget; I wouldn't even consider it. You sort the list according to the page view -- that's what is being counted by the view counter -- not by traffic. But if you feel that the traffic rank has a negative influence on the view counter, then the top ranked Xboard should have a problem.
www.xboard.us...

It apparently doesn't.

The second board is Skyscraper City:
www.skyscrapercity.com...

No problems either. The same goes for Digital Spy:
www.digitalspy.co.uk...

What are you trying to prove by re-sorting the list according to the traffic rank?

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   

What are you trying to prove by re-sorting the list according to the traffic rank?

That we have very high traffic, and associated page-views.

Our Stats page confirms.

Our third-party Quantcast confirms, and shows we're higher-trafficked that SlashDot, which doesn't dynamically tally views.

Some very-high traffic boards do indeed tally views, but those are much more "mainstream" than we are, and have the benefit of more "mainstream" higher--paying advertisers as a result... but we have long since become much more than a "discussion board" and find ourselves often discussed amongst the same company as SlashDot, Digg, Reddit, and similar "user generated social content communities."

And finally... views really aren't the true measure of a topic's relative worth. Engagement (replies) and value (flags) are much more important metrics that define whether or not a given topic has inspired a response from the members of ATS... and both of those metrics are completely up to our members... where views can be both easily artificially inflated, as well as reporting false hits due to web spiders (over 120 different spiders hit us every day).

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I actually thought this myself the other week when I noticed the views tally was stuck at 0 but I didn't make a thread about it because I didn't want to sound a little overly paranoid!

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

What do you mean? You're on ATS.

Why wouldn't you be here if you weren't already too paranoid?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I am sorry but the "views" counter really helps with making threads and seeing what one writes is worth revising.

Just my humble opinion....

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Ah OK SO, I did love the feature but am willing to let it go for the reasons you gave made sense.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Tell you what, I'll build the machines for you, cost of parts plus 15% for labor which is 10% off what I normally charge for builds....

My current machine scores 44k on 3DMark, fastest machine is insane and scored a 55k, so ya, I know what's up, I know how to build have for a long time... I build for a hobby and for friends who want computers for cheap... You wouldn't believe the mark up on so called "name brand" machines... Alienware can kiss my you know what, they are rip off along with all the other box brands.. You are paying for customer support, which you can get for free through custom builds...

I have been looking for a way to contribute more to this community, why not by helping you build the network? U2U me if you are interested or would like to know more... I won't offer you the info. for free, but I can guarantee a great deal on the machines you need... They'll be fast, powerful and loaded with all the goodies you need... Won't have to shut things down so the site works...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
good post, i was wondering the same thing for a while....

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
For the record...i love this website.

If web traffic is really increasing that much...i think that now...more than ever....being able to see page views would be nice. Being able to see a thread that you posted...with your own ideas and how they are confronted....is an awesome thing for the OP's. It shows us that many are interested in what we have to say...it would just be nice to see just how many views they are getting. I understand if it's unaffordable...but if the means are ever attained it would be great to have it back asap.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I didn't start posting til Oct 08.

Could someone give me a rough idea of how many views a small to medium topic would get? i.e. 5 flags and 10 replies. I know it's hard, but any approximate ideas or stats would be appreciated.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by HiAliens]

[edit on 8-2-2009 by HiAliens]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join