It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's happened with our page views?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacebagel
I'm going to make a screenshot of this thread and save it so if they locked it or delete the thread this just PROVES it's a coverup.

OK! So what if you prove it's a coverup? You still won't get a week's stay at the Hilton Paradise or a free trip to the ISS!
So relax! Anyway, I don't see it as a big deal. Neither an orgiastic delight in seeing the number of hits/views for one's thread!

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthTellist
reply to post by badmedia

Yes, but what if they would no longer count page views after 1000?

Wouldn't that work?

Well it would be less load, yes. I don't know how much load they need to drop or what problems they have exactly on there load. It's just that I do this stuff for a living and have had to deal with similar problems. So I know it's not some "conspiracy" that they are gone.

I can think of multiple solutions, but it all pretty much depends on how much load is needed to be dropped. No logging would be most optimal, limited logging or secondary tables would reduce the load a good bit, but still use up resources etc.

If they are even entertaining the idea of a cluster, it would be my guess that the load goes deeper than just the view counter, and they are trying to get as much as possible. But that's just a guess.

Just have to see what they do. As I said before, I'm just letting people know it's not abnormal. If there is any "conspiracy" here, it would be people trying to discredit the site for bogus reasons.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
No money for upgrades?
Kinda shameless considering the income from banners on this site.
Especially when the 'back' function on this site doesn't direct you to the previous page, but the previous banner on this page.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mortje
No money for upgrades?
Kinda shameless considering the income from banners on this site.

Are you aware of the costs of leased hardware? Are you aware of our existing broader operating costs and the number of projects under way?

Especially when the 'back' function on this site doesn't direct you to the previous page, but the previous banner on this page.

This is the first I've heard of this issue.

Also, to put things into perspective... we get more daily traffic than SlashDot.org, and they stopped dynamic tracking of topical views more than four years ago (for the same reasons we did).

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Folks...... the true measure of how successful a thread may be is NOT how many people Looked at it as much as how many people Responded to it.

The REPLIES are the true test of how well one has posted something that evokes membership response.

IMEO, of course.

Dave

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

What happened to the tagging mechanism? It's been gone since before the new site launch, is that over? Need we not concern ourselves with that anymore?

What happened to thread tagging?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Perhaps I should start another thread, but I would like to address another problems.

First, the banner place for flagged topics

How does a thread get there? I always assumed that it was related to the number of flags, but seriously doubt that now. Do mods have the possibility to put a thread over there manually?

The problem I personally have with this, is that I see the topics of specific members there much more often than that of others, regardless of the quality. I remember a case of a couple of weeks in which a member (I won't mention names) had a thread on this banner place, while the topic was already posted before by another member who did not get such special attention/''free advertisement space'' In my humble opinion that discourages other people from posting since others get the credits''.

Second, time - I've been member for quite some time now and ever since the time cannot be set according to your location, properly. Is it ever gonna be fixed or not, because it's not useful at all.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm sure the specifics can be addressed by SO, but I can tell you from my own experience that the TOP AREA recycles after a bit of time..... 12 hours, 6 hours.... not sure. I created two threads the other day, both made it to the flagged area...... then were replaced by others several hours later. The other thing to consider, is that there is only room for 3 TOPICS. So, unless I am corrected by SO, I think whenever it is time for a recycle..... whatever the newest TOP 3 FLAGGED THREADS are, those are the ones that are displayed. Keep in mind, that is a guess on my part, but logical. I know it is not based on the Good 'Ole Boy factor because I have seen numerous dissent threads about this or that up there too, Including This One.

Dave

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
i was noticing some strange things about the views per thread, after a certain usualy truthful post was made in a thread people would stop looking at the thread and it would dissapear down the order.in contrast ridiculous,disingenious threads would aquire enormous amounts of views and remain at the top of the order.

with the views per thread function you could judge how many people were looking at a thread in reference to time,and patterns would emerge for example some threads would attain a high number of views and little replies and others many replies but few views,and if you looked at the content of the threads more patterns would emerge,usually once again truthful threads seeking to disclose the reality would aquire many views but few replies,whislt threads promoting the lies of the alien agenda were full of replies buy aquired few views.

the message is there is an organised conspiracy being created here on this website,and any information that helps to form and promote that illusion are always given the most attention and support,the view function was showing this deception...........that thr alien conspiracy is a mask for future ai's actions and presence.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave Rabbit

you know i love you Dave but.. i must respectfully disagree.

ATS is BRIMMING with lurkers that never post , i myself didnt join for 3? 6? months, just read and read , just because i didnt post does not mean i didnt gain anything from the information. And people should know if annon is looking and not posting , afterall as SO himself said, the hits from outside ATS are massive.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The intense traffic on this website is a good kind of problem to have.

There used to be a commercial on TV that showed some guys standing around a computer monitor as their internet "start up" goes online for the first time. Cheers erupt as their first order comes in and then the counter mounts to tens and then hundreds of orders. Finally the room falls into dejected silence as the counter rockets to millions of orders.

Will there come a time on ATS when threads are limited to ten posts?

I like the views counter but I can live without it.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Overhead, is over their heads
Sorry, I could not resist.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Page Views..............that phrase and I was lost, couldn't say I have really noticed it was there or now gone.

I come here to read many posts, share in a few and look like a complete idiot in more than I care to say.

ATS does not stand for A Talent Show and lets see how many views I get, I can honestly say some threads I click on I regret after the first few posts because you just know the conversation is heading down the pan.

If what any of us posts as a new thread is credible and any good then trust me most people with a IQ higher than 10 will read it, appreciate it, learn something new from it and maybe just add to it.

Nuff said
Wolfie

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfie_UK

I disagree. I like being able to see how many people view my threads so I can get instant feedback on my topic. Even though people may not post in the thread I can still see how many people view them. Before the site expanded an awful lot... it was easy for ATS to keep track of page views. I do think, that perhaps they could come up with a system, like, I know that ATS gets a lot of traffic... if we had a system that could keep track of how many members view each topic I think that it would be good at least if we could see how many members view the topics because that would give you better feedback as opposed to just if you let everyone view the topic. I don't know if that's technically possible to weed out member views from non member views to each topic but I think it would help with the page-view problem.

As for me, I think page views are necessary. Even if they don't really matter, I still like seeing how many people view my topics... it provides me with an idea of how many people are looking at topics and at what times they look at topics the most. I think they're helpful.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

Originally posted by TruthTellist
reply to post by badmedia

Yes, but what if they would no longer count page views after 1000?

Wouldn't that work?

Well it would be less load, yes.
And how would they know that it had reached the 1000 limit, reading it from the database before writing?

I think it's better turned off, I did not even remembered that there was a page view counter.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Can anyone post at least 3 links to forums with view counters disabled? If counters cause problems other webmasters will implement the same remedy.

Some topics are more interesting than others, and the counter is a good indicator of that -- they are like sales figures. That's why board designers include them when they build the software.

btw, does anyone know why this site dumps so much garbage into temp internet files?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

You said "As for me, I think page views are necessary. Even if they don't really matter".

So what is it to be, necessary or they don't really matter ??

Can someone star this post for me please, it doesn't really matter but on the otherhand it is necessary, thanks

Wolfie

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I've never paid attention to page views and think Dave hit the nail on the head. If someone posts a thread with a catchy title, it may not have any substance but get lots of views and vice versa. Replies and discussion are what counts.
What's with all this recent paranoia on ATS? Is it related to the increase in new members?

[edit on 16-10-2008 by Xeros]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander
Can anyone post at least 3 links to forums with view counters disabled?

SlashDot (already provided)
Digg
Reddit

That's why board designers include them when they build the software.

But when boards get massive traffic, something needs to go.

does anyone know why this site dumps so much garbage into temp internet files?

Such as? Example?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I'm glad that you brought this up, as I've been curious about the lack of a view-count as well.

HOWEVER, what's the conspiracy you assume is happening, exactly?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join