It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama takes heat for delaying World Series game

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Obama takes heat for delaying World Series game

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com

(CNN) – The Republican National Committee took aim at Barack Obama Wednesday over the Illinois senator's half-hour ad buy that will delay the start of a World Series game by 18 minutes.

"It’s unfortunate that the World Series’ first pitch is being delayed for Obama’s political pitch," RNC spokesman Alex Conant said. "Not only is Obama putting politics before principle, he’s putting it before our national pastime.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Yes Obama fans...that's right. Your candidate is delaying a perfectly good game of baseball!

Okay, so I'm not really all that mad about it, but explain to me why Obama needs a half an hour ad just to pull a political pitch? I mean seriously, why does he need it? He can't finish what he has to say in his various other ads, or in the debate?

It's a shame really that he feels the need to step on other american activities just to get his point across. Before you guys get all up in arms about how it's "just baseball", it's still an american activity, certainly more action in a baseball game than in a presidential debate.

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I was upset when I heard this before, but now I really am.

I mean come on, my Phills are finally going back to the WS!

I don't want to see Obama's ugly mug on my tv any more than I have to.

:bnghd:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
He is sure covering all the bases (pun?). On Dish Network he has a fricken channel for his "message". During commercials while watching other shows a popup ad (thats right folks, even TV has those annoying poups now) that saus press enter on your remote to go to the Obama channel now. Good grief!

[edit on 16-10-2008 by Daz3d-n-Confus3d]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
When I heard this this morning I thought the networks were delaying broadcast of the game but the game would still begin at the same time.

They're really going to delay the game for this self-righteous, arrogant, condescending a-hole?

Seriously. WTF man. WTF.

I don't even like baseball.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

He doesn't need it, but he can afford it, as his campaign has been very lucrative. When one has that much money left, what else do you suggest he do with it? Ross Perot did the same thing back in the day; although, it didn't delay a ball game. However, for the republicans, or anyone else for that matter, to make an issue of this is just a desperate attempt too do last minute damage to Obama in the eyes of the undecided. Besides, what's the big deal? Baseball games rarely end in time, as there is no time limit, so why should it be a big deal that it start on time?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Delaying the world series..... Isn't that the same thing as political sucide... I mean your messing with a nations sport here and not just any sport.... Truly lets play a word association game. Just finish my sentence.... As American as apple pie and (BLANK)!

It is kinda ingrained into the US citizens heart...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite

As American as apple pie and (BLANK)

LOL I thought that phrase died along with my grandfather's generation. Seriously, Let's just keep it up with labeling Obama as the anti-patriot. He's about to be your President!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I agree, I dont care if he wants to do it before the game starts, but he shouldn't be delaying it...

Thats not how you make the middle class like you, we love our games.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan
I agree, I dont care if he wants to do it before the game starts, but he shouldn't be delaying it...

Thats not how you make the middle class like you, we love our games.

As I understand it, he is not delaying the game....MLB has decided to delay the game...Obama never asked them to. MLB choose to delay it, as otherwise, they would have minimal viewers tuning in during that time.

How dare they hold the world series during our election season LOL

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Ooooh a whole 18 minutes, take that extra time to go get your hot dogs and nachos. I've been to many a baseball game, 18 minutes means more time for pregame entertainment. They'll be shooting free stuff into the crowds for 18 minutes longer, it's a win win in my eyes.

Enough with this manufactured outrage, it's truly pathetic. You people say you aren't fans but are outraged, why? You most likely are not going to watch the game so how does the small delay affect you? If you have a problem with seeing black people on TV then ask your mother for the remote and change the channel.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DraconianKing
If you have a problem with seeing black people on TV then ask your mother for the remote and change the channel.

or quit watching basketball
Come on now....what does this have to do with race?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DraconianKing

I agree,

Its like all this anger is manufactured.

Your really that ignorant, you cannot wait 18minutes to hear a possible future leader explain to you why he's going to keep the world series coming to your flat panel TV while you drink beer and enjoy the good life?

18 minutes

Your about to pick a leader for 4 years.

The world series occurs every year.

Growup!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
There are few things more American than baseball. Love it or hate it, it's been a part of our country for over a century and a true escape from the grind of work, bills, and life.

He couldn't pick another time slot? If McCain did this i'd be just as angry. I can just see people getting excited to watch the game only too see MORE political spin.

I will say, it's genius on Obama's part by doing it. A chance to hit on people that normally may not pay much attention to it all.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by David9176]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

OR, the average run of the mill overweight, beer-bellied, beer guzzling baseball fancould/should take that extra 18 minutes and devote it to something brand new...FAMILY TIME. Or go play catch with the guys. This is all sooooo retarded...CRYBABIES!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

well he obviously picked this timeslot because its got a lot of audience.

I love it, your complaining about 18' minutes of more pregame show,

imagine living in Zimbabwe?.. you lose your arm..

atleast you get a choice.

hows this,

For that 18minutes

1. Talk to your family
2. clean the kitchen
3. prepare a nice meal
4. read the news paper
5. jump on ATS
6. listen to obama, so you dont chose the wrong guy simply because of ignorance

.. not saying you directly mate.. but c'mon

18minutes?
I bet you waste that amount of time on the can

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
18 minutes is nothing .. a little annoying but nothing .. however, any longer and I'd be saying it's a problem .. time and place for everything ..

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

He doesn't need it, but he can afford it, as his campaign has been very lucrative. When one has that much money left, what else do you suggest he do with it? Ross Perot did the same thing back in the day; although, it didn't delay a ball game. However, for the republicans, or anyone else for that matter, to make an issue of this is just a desperate attempt too do last minute damage to Obama in the eyes of the undecided. Besides, what's the big deal? Baseball games rarely end in time, as there is no time limit, so why should it be a big deal that it start on time?

A little touchy aren't we? I don't give a rats ass if it was Ross Perot, McCain, or any other of the liars we call leaders. Seriously, what is he going to say that he shouldn't have already said. How many votes do you think this is going to get him? I was making a little fun out of it and somebody always has to come to the rescue of their hero.
Geez.

Oh by the way,,, I am an Aggie fan.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by Daz3d-n-Confus3d]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Oh no a bunch of steroid users are going to have to sit for 18 minutes longer? How dare we make people who make more in a year for taking steroids then I will in my entire life sit for 18 minutes. Get over it. Baseball gets fewer people watching then Football and Basketball and Racing. It's not the American past time. It's more like "I have some steroids, he's a baseball player, I guess I'll get one more mortgage payment." More people watch American Idol then baseball. American Idol is more of the American Past Time then baseball.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join