It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Apparel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by D4rk Kn1ght

Good point mentioning mutli-use items. Bandanas are a perfect example of this, I have 4 or 5 in my BOB. So many uses, may as well have enough.

A rain poncho can double as a tarp, or in the case of winter survival, one could use it over a snow cave. Big chucks of plastic have alot of uses I guess.

The Filson packer I wear is watertight, and can be used as a bowl if need be.

Heavy coats not only serve their purpose for the wearer, but can be fashioned into stretchers or even crude doors if you had to resort to that.

While I despise cotton in a survival situation, the thread certainly can be used. To mend other garments, people, or possibly fishing line depending on your braiding ability.

All in all, most mundane items can be used for reasons other than their intended use by the wearer, its just a matter of thinking and adapting them.

On a different note, for winter conditions, I have added a homemade capote from a hudson bay blanket to my winter kit. I wear my filson daily, but capotes offer a fuller package should one be stranded away from modern shelter and heat.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

but capotes offer a fuller package should one be stranded away from modern shelter and heat.

Guess you don't speak french? Capotes?
really, do a google search for capotes.

As for being stranded away from heat? that should never, ever happen. Ever.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by D4rk Kn1ght

I have begun to master some of the names of French wine, thats probably as far as I'll go.

Here is a link to my "capote"

Capote

As for never being away from a heat source. This is why the ability to make fire is invaluable. In my post, I mentioned modern heating sources. Say a cessna goes down in the mountains, or your boat hits a rock in the middle of nowhere, thats where I would want a heavier, full length wool over my everyday wear. Much nicer in a snow cave, by a fire, in a lean too etc...

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
BDUs, M65 field jacket, tactical vest, shooting gloves with mitton, Rocky paratrooper boots, tactical goggles and boonie hat. For my area anyway this is the way to go. I not worried about looking civvy or military, because when TSHTF everyone will be a target.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
BDU's, Tanker boots, tatcical vest, flannel shirt, underarmor, hellstorm blackhawk gloves, tactical goggles, gasmask on drop thigh rig, leather biker jacket, wool stocking cap, welding goggles.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join