It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stocked Up Yet? Time Is Running Out

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Good post Zorgon.
For those that want to be able to identify edible plants, there are some greats sites on the net. Go to them now, print off their guides, and be prepared. Here is just one site:
www.wilderness-survival.net...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by thiscountryboycansurvive Have a hobby that will help you and others for bartering i.e. I woodwork and blacksmith.

Blacksmith huh? Well friend.... can ya be turnin plowshares to swords? We have a loom and plenty of warrior skills to trade

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Good Post Zorgon. Also a dehydrator and a smokehouse for preserving meat.

If you live in a rural area raise your own chikens.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Well, there are truck driver members of ATS, and let me clue you in. If Obama or McCain try to re-implement the Mexican truck driver fiasco, the entire nation of track drivers will SHUT down America, and I'd be the FIRST to SUPPORT them.
SEMPER PARATUS

That may well be, but it has nothing to do with the food shortage scare tactics being peddled here.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I've made a blade out of an old lawnmower blade and another arm swing with a back you can trust against yours is always a good thing.

Funnny you should askI am actually restoring an old antique plow right now

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

reply to post by dizziedame

Great point. Also, baking soda is a very cheap, but effective ant-acid . Put about 1/4 teaspoon in some water, stir and drink.

ICKIE...can make you throw up if you are not careful as to the amount you use, or if you use it after drinking alcohol, be ready to be really really sick.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Seriousely, stocks are not going to run out, I do agree that we are heading into a depression of different proportions than we see at the moment, but we will not run short. Be conserned but don't panic...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
One other thing to think about:

Safety of you and your group.. and your stashed stuff..

We got a guard dog, we have small children so we got a boxer, there great alert dogs and somewhat protective but very good with kids..

Dogs make a great alarm system and also great for company if your lonely. however assess your situation a rottweiler may be great for a true attack dog but when it kills your kid or goes after your livestock you may have a problem.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Well, there are truck driver members of ATS, and let me clue you in. If Obama or McCain try to re-implement the Mexican truck driver fiasco, the entire nation of truck drivers will SHUT down America, and I'd be the FIRST to SUPPORT them.
SEMPER PARATUS

posted by Retseh:
"That may well be, but it has nothing to do with the food shortage scare tactics being peddled here. "

Actually, it has EVERYTHING to do with what we are discussing. Groceries are shipped from the warehouse to the store VIA TRUCK. Shutting down the trucks shuts down delivery. Are you SURE you really WORK for a food supplier? How could you not understand that?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This is essentially a self perpetuated problem. What's been happening, due to the consternation surrounding this great financial meltdown, is that people are in fact stocking up on bulk and canned foods. The suppliers of your regular grocery stores can not keep up with this incredible spike in demand for these goods.

This is a natural phenomena. If you do some research, you'll find that demand for these products naturally increase in times of economic uncertainty. What has been happening in the past few weeks in the financial sector, which by the way is proving to be a historic event, has caused such a great and sudden impact on the purchase of these goods, that it seems your regular grocery stores are completely out of stock.

Both suppliers and manufacturers have hundreds of thousands of tonnes waiting to be shipped, if not more, every time your grocery stores seem to go out of stock. What you are noticing is simply a delay in shipping, one that is not apparent when stocks of normal goods, such as the ones you all described, are consumed so rapidly. The ships just aren't "used to" handling so much product in such short notice. They plan for long term efficiency; sudden spikes in demand such as this have only caused temporary disorganization.

This has nothing to do with stores not having the credit to purchase large amounts of produce. It has everything to do with fear and a naive consumer's expectation for the future.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The Amish make us all look like amateur survivalists, don't they?

Just sayin.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Man....can we try to stir up any more scare tactics???? There's not going to be a shortage of food. Just like when wallstreet imploded the other day America didn't shut down...Come on... This should be filed under the same crap as the October 14th or was it the 15th or now it's the 16th Mass U.F.O. sightings and such... Just stop the non-sense use your common sense if you havent lost it by watching the news and other fear monging out-lets...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
something else to consider for those who still believe our economy will survive:

Upcoming events:

As a result of "This is it and It is NOW":

US exchanges will be closed. There is a chance all world exchanges will close down. Only gold and currencies which are planetary markets will continue to trade.
Retirement programs will not pay off.
Medicare and Medicaid will at best buy you a bandage or pay for 1/4 of a visit to a free clinic.
Social security, due to the massive upcoming inflation, will provide no security for any society.
Money Market Funds will not pay off.
A CD is a gift, but not to you.
Unified central bank action has a short life.
Central banks will soon revert to the strategy of everyone for themselves.
401Ks not self directed are headed for the toilet forever.
Exchange Traded Funds will not return the assets upon which it is based to you.
Sliver will demonstrate the fact that it is more industrial a metal than precious.
Silver is not a currency because it is simply too HEAVY to settle debts or to be universally fungible.
Silver performs best when there is reasonable industrial demand and distrust of currency. When this happens rounding up the gang and their money will have a lot to do with which party is elected.
Credit card companies are going to have to be bailed out.
GE Capital is a nuclear capable entity that has the capacity to take down the good old toaster and refrigerator manufacturer - SIGMA ZERO.
GE Capital is a huge OTC derivative dealer but somehow I do not recall that fact being discussed.
Gold is the only Honest Money because it has no liability attached to it.
Gold coins are the best way to own gold for the average investor.
When you select a junior gold, I would look for the highest quality, most bashed, highest short positioned, with real assets and real people devoid of pussy management. The situation is best if it is based in another country than the country you live in while doing business in a third and trading in multiple areas. The benefit is obvious.
Nobody ever did or will ever trade items as insurance. That is a form of madness.
At $1650 I will take my leave, having been with you to the point I promised.
The only place you will find me then is at my place of business on the ground or the web.
www.jsmineset.com...

i find this most disturbing. all the economic brains on this site (some boasting to be as young as 17) said this would never happen. called it a correction not a recession and i say shortly we will be angry enough to do something about our government. when people get hungry they get angry. unfortunately, i live w/a total moron who controls the money! stocking up is impossible for me.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by thiscountryboycansurvive
reply to post by zorgon

Also a dehydrator and a smokehouse for preserving meat.

not needed, as there will be plenty of human meat available.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by cognoscente
This is essentially a self perpetuated problem. What's been happening, due to the consternation surrounding this great financial meltdown, is that people are in fact stocking up on bulk and canned foods. The suppliers of your regular grocery stores can not keep up with this incredible spike in demand for these goods.

Not true, i update my stock continuously, Surte i went through recently and added to the amounts a bit but , i do this from time to time as we rotate through it all the time. There are millions of stockpiles out there that are always updating there stock, the system is used to this ..

The system will fail when the non stockpiles freak out and try to stock up.. this will be triggered by some event , be it natural man made or economic.. and usually its after the event that there are shortages seen and then the unprepared start to hord... thats when the system fails and breaks down

Look at the natural disasters like Katrina or Ike , the unprepared freak out and storm the stores for supplies, if every one was a person that had stock piles there would be very little of this.. the hording would not happen is every one was repaired.. it's not the stockpiles that cause this its the idiots that don't stock pile that cause this.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tsloan

Man....can we try to stir up any more scare tactics???? There's not going to be a shortage of food. Just like when wallstreet imploded the other day America didn't shut down...Come on... This should be filed under the same crap as the October 14th or was it the 15th or now it's the 16th Mass U.F.O. sightings and such... Just stop the non-sense use your common sense if you havent lost it by watching the news and other fear monging out-lets..

You haven't REALLY read all the posts, have you?
If people have no money because they have lost their jobs or their 401K's (down 50% for most people), they WON'T be able to BUY FOOD!
Preparing for the worst, while you still have some money left is PRUDENT, NOT SCARE TACTICS.

Look, no one is MAKING you do anything. You continue to live in your fairy-tale world. The rest of us will make sure that we take care of our families. My parents had to live through the depression, eating mashed potato sandwiches to survive, and that was on a GOOD Day. My parents lost their jobs, and also had no savings. Tens of millions of people were in the same boat. So, when the markets and banks CONTINUE to crash, you BELIEVE it WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN?

WHO is the one that has DELUSIONS?
I suggest it is YOU.

People aren't being scared, they are being realists and being prepared. If you don't like it, don't prepare.
You be the grasshopper. We'll be the ant. Now hop along and sing a merry tune, while the rest of us prepare for winter.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Just a suggestion, after reading all this- but ya'll should consider cloth diapers (because some of us will still have children in the youngest ages). Also, fabrics and sewing supplies, since everyone grows, and shrinks in age. Muslin is inexpensive, and use-able for just about anything you want to wear. Make sure you purchase plenty of thread for darning what you own already!

I figured that since everyone's already posted just about everything in regards to food, I could suggest some other stuff.

Glass bottles, over the counter medications/painkillers, cloth diapers, fabric for sewing (And threads, of course) Several good pairs of scissors, hunting knives and cast iron cookery. (I say cast iron because you don't need to use harsh cleaners on them, and they tend to last longer)

If you have a fireplace, be prepared to cook with it! Lots of firewood, and make sure you have not only matches, but flint as well!

Just the opinion of someone who reads ATS too often...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DaVillen

When does your canned corn expire?
Does your water have an expiration date?
If you think it will be that bad, surviving in place will not be an option.
The hikers and foragers might be the best off, if they can get out of the cities.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Oh Im sorry I must have explained that wrong.
They break down the manufacturers coupons from the Sunday paper into a list form based on the specials or good deals.
I still dont think I am explaining it right but the coupons are what you would clip out of the paper not printable (for the most part)
For instance Progresso Soup was on a bogo with a coupon from the paper and they break down your savings and percentage off so you can instantly see the best deals and what coupons to clip etc. Plus the list is great because yu can break it down from home with what you will be buying and print it and take it with you.
The progresso soup came out to be .33 a can after coupon

Anyway anybody who is struggling should check out the site, it makes budget shopping and coupon clipping so much easier.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

You be the grasshopper. We'll be the ant. Now hop along and sing a merry tune, while the rest of us prepare for winter.

Yeah like he says

Just don't hop my way... because we don't take kindly to locusts raiding the crops

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join