It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stocked Up Yet? Time Is Running Out

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by eventHorizon

Did you even read the articles at the links I provided in the OP?

How could you have read them and then state complete denial of the situation?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Towgunner0352

It is people like you that will get MY guns taken away. Here you are being shown the writing on the wall yet you still refuse to even buy a little extra for a rainy day?

Guess what, bucko. It's getting cloudy.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Ditto on the Walmart, Sam's club, Costco. I have learned to go to my local Grocery Stores, (Kroger, Hays, Save-a-lot) in order to get good deals. We frequently stock up on meat, canned goods, and frozen foods for two to three months at a time. We eat well, and when I can I grow my own veggies. (This year was a bad year.)
One of the other posters stated that you should learn what wild plants are edible. I agree. Dandelion greens and curly dock, just to name two, make a good pot of greens, which are high in vitamins.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ReiSethimus

How does salmon weigh up to tuna in the long run. Also, how do bagged salmon and tuna rival canned meats?

Great question. Here is a site that lists the mercury levels for virtually all fish that are sold:

www.cfsan.fda.gov...

Note that light canned tuna has only 1/3rd of the mercury of canned albacore tuna.
Avoid Fish with High levels of Mercury :Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish

As for salmon:
There are studies showing that farm raised salmon contain higher level of toxic substance PCBs than wild salmon. However FDA maintained that the level found in farm raised salmon is well below the safety standard. Canned salmon are generally safe as manufacturers usually use wild salmon to can for the firmer texture

Hope this helps.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
if this food crisis is to happen..more than 60% of American people will look better in mirror.

Maybe someone up there is saying YOU FAT ASS AMERICANs deserve this.

I'm sincerely apologize if I offended any fat people in here.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Time to stock up is running short as the US dollar will soon be worthless. The Federal Reserve has seen fit to dole out an UNLIMITED amount of US dollars to global banks in what they are calling an effort to stop market losses and unfreeze global economies. The problem is they are talking about pumping new US money into them effectively making the dollar worthless. Here is a thread devoted to it, and its a legit statement from the reserve not just speculation.

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread400933/pg1

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I think having a nice cache of non perishables is a good idea any time. But I'm sure many families like mine are barely getting by on the groceries they can currently afford. If it gets as bad as some of you are hearing you might consider purchasing some firearms if you don't own them already. If not you might just die of something other than starvation!

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I grab a few extra cans of vegetables and a gallon of water each time I shop. Don't panic, but DO grab a little extra every chance you get. The canned corn and green beans I've been buying cost about forty or fifty cents each at Walmart. It's amazing how fast my pile has added up. For just two or three bucks more on each trip to the store.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I am also thinking of going on a fast anyways. An average weight person can survive 30 days+ thier age on pure water, and an over weight person even longer. Then I can save most of the food for my 4 year old until spring hits again and I can have my outdoor garden as well.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Best post on here in a long time. Well said!

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mean Red Spider
I grab a few extra cans of vegetables and a gallon of water each time I shop. Don't panic, but DO grab a little extra every chance you get. The canned corn and green beans I've been buying cost about forty or fifty cents each at Walmart. It's amazing how fast my pile has added up. For just two or three bucks more on each trip to the store.

You are aware that corn has no nutritional value right? I love my green beans, but when hungry I think some ranch style beans will hold you off much better.

I got 2 cases of military issued (the good kind, "warrior approved") MRE's minus a few of the best meals I've already eaten plus a few cases of bottled water left over from Hurricane Ike. But normally I'd have a full pantry of meals I'd never normally eat but times have been tough lately so that supply is very limited.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaVillen
I have over 50 cases of water and about 200 cans of green giant corn stockpiled in my basement. My fishing rod and rifle will also be on hand if need be.

People think I'm crazy when I tell them to start a canned food collection, but I don't really care.

You will get sick eating the same thing day after day, after a life of eating a variety of food stocks. You need to plan a survival pantry with just as much consideration as you can including varieties of fruits, veggies, grains and meat.

You are correct to think of water first. We can live for a few weeks without food, but will die in a few days without water. Storage of water can be accomodated with a food grade plastic 55 gallon drum. Also, 5 Gallon metalized plastic bladders in cardboard boxes are a good bet to store long term water. Direct sunlight can cause algae growth in stored water so keep in a cool, dry, and dark place.

Two useful sights to explore stocking a serious pantry and other useful survival items would be:

beprepared.com...

store.honeyvillegrain.com...

I've put together a pantry over the last several months of dehydrated and freeze dried foods that would last my wife and I for about a year and provide the needed variety to keep us healthy. The advantage in stocking this way is it saves so much space, since all water is removed, as compared to store canned goods, and most of these foods have a shelf life of 10-20 years! It is worth the investment and if an emergency never arrises you can still eat the food over a period of time by just adding water. The best "savings account" you could consider in today's world. Good luck...and God bless you all.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Another thing I add to my supplies is protein shakes and dry milk. They can easily be mixed up. We also keep a few dozen protein bars around and rotate them out.

I keep extra Vitamin C with rose hips for infections, goldenseal, colloidal silver, pain relievers, and a first aid kit with a couple of large bottles of H20. Women keep an extra stash of personal necessities. I also keep an extra bottle of good cranberry supplements to fight off UTI's. Vicks vapo rub for coughs (works excellent when put on the feet to stop coughing).
Herbal teas and medicinal teas. I keep a tincture of Shepherds purse on hand. It can help stop heavy bleeding. A bottle of Afrin to stop uncontrollable nose bleeds. There's alot more I keep. I want to be prepared for any medical issues lol

We also keep alot of beans, peanut butter for extra protein, and I don't make my bread so i buy up extra and freeze it. You can also freeze gallons of milk and thaw in the fridge when needed.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Yes I've been telling the family to stock up on bottled water, canned goods non-perishables and plenty of dried up fruits, preserves, nuts, etc.....Also everyone buy seeds, several kinds of seeds and learn how to grow crops. Also learning how to sterilize water, kill, and wounds. First aid kits, medicines, learn simple healing techniques. Better to be prepared then be sorry.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by antmax21]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Also a great site to check out is
www.couponmom.com
the site is great because it organizes the specials + coupons by store and you can just go print and clip.
It has helped me a great deal because I have never been organized enough to keep it all straight.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
protein drinks with vitamins is a good idea, water and buying as much seeds as you can because maybe you can sell some for bartering. If you buy fruit and veggies keep the seeds.

Im abit apprehensive when buying rice and corn because alot of it is genetically modified and i have reason to believe there is conspiracy of everyone getting sick and digestion problems and will die from eating too much.

buy lots of whey powder and seek out organic health food stores too.

use lemon as deodarant and keeping yourself clean incase of water crises.

Thinking about this just makes you think how much food we waste everyday

[edit on 15-10-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FX44rice

Wow, well we totally cannot afford that. We would have to come up with $7500.00 to feed our family or one year.
Its a great site. just way out of our price range, guess seeds are the way to go for us.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Be 50 lbs overweight and heavily armed like me.
8 years of USMC Infantry and the warrior spirit will never let me give up.
Don't step between what I need and where my 12 gauge fires

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Me and Mad Doc, we worked out a $249 list at Sams Wholesale that consists of oatmeal, flour, beans, rice, and other staples. As of now, the five families in our hard times group have enough food for about 40-50 people for 4-6 months. This doesn't include deer on our property, cattle, chickens, and feral hogs. Oh and we stocked two of our ponds with bass and catfish.

God I pray for everyone that is getting caught in the middle of this greedy damned fight.

For The Republic.....One and All.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join