It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stocked Up Yet? Time Is Running Out

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

That is a horrible idea, the reason why is the fact that the dollar will be worth nothing soon, the best thing you can do with your money is use it as kindling for a fire.

I think someone on here posted a link to the video "Money as Debt", if not look it up on google, you'll learn a bit more about money.

-Lahara

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Very good point. This is something I hadn't thought about, and Lord knows at my age, I need my remedies. Thank you.

Also, thank you to the Op for this thread, and thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I will be taking notes.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Forgot to add to research the "raw food lifestyle" this diet will come in handy once you run out of meat to eat and is very sustaining and prehistoric survival eating.

Alternatives for iron is blackstrap molasses and wheatgerm(has b vitamins also)

Grow lots of kale and bok choy for alternative calcium, make your own almond milk for calcium too.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRandom1
reply to post by carewemust

That is a horrible idea, the reason why is the fact that the dollar will be worth nothing soon, the best thing you can do with your money is use it as kindling for a fire.

I think someone on here posted a link to the video "Money as Debt", if not look it up on google, you'll learn a bit more about money.

-Lahara

cxan I give you my address to send all your worthless dollars to?
I am sure I can find a use for them other than to burn them.

Maybe I'll buy a ticket to your fanatasy world where Mad Max (you) rule the roost and shout THUNDERDOME!

Seriously.. send me your "worthless" American dollars.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by gormly

Hey, how about instead of insulting someone, you back up your ideas with facts or a link to some facts, or at least pointing someone in the right direction to those facts?

So tell me, what is worth more?

Something you can eat?
Or
Money, that is worth nothing?

The "value" of the dollar is dwendling down, when a food crisis hits or this financial crisis gets worse, money will have no value.
All you've done is insult and personally attack people, you've not contributed any thing worth while in this thread.

Hey, if you don't like a thread, or you don't agree with what someone says, guess what, you don't have to respond to it if all you can do is attack someone.

Back up your claims sir or quit bashing me.

-Lahara

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by meadowfairy
Forgot to add to research the "raw food lifestyle" this diet will come in handy once you run out of meat to eat and is very sustaining and prehistoric survival eating.

Alternatives for iron is blackstrap molasses and wheatgerm(has b vitamins also)

Grow lots of kale and bok choy for alternative calcium, make your own almond milk for calcium too.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by meadowfairy]

I have hunted since I was a child. I am traditional archer and have rudimentary skills as a fletcher. My family will not run out of meat.

And may I be so bold, you have zero knowledge of prehistoric diet. It is a proven that our ancestors were HUNTER GATHERS and were in fact healthier overall than the agrarian peoples of ancient recorded history.

This research has been done by studying modern hunter gathers as well as bone and left over skin tissue.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
reply to post by redhatty

I thought I read on Money.com that the credit markets were finally "thawing" a bit. Anybody know if this is true or not?

Yes it is beginning to flow again.
I was just approved for a loan on a house. Look it's not as bad as the dooms dayers here are spitting. If your a sub-prime cedit holder...yea it's bad cause your no longer able to obtain loans you can afford. But the majority of those people should have never been extended credit in the first place.

AIG was a fraud or giant pink elephant EVERY banking institute knew was standing right in the middle of the room! Yet all the banks kept loaning people who had poor credit and no money down and no verifiable income these horrible loans and people with good credit because obssesed with living MTV life styles living on credit cards and using there homes as ATM's. And when AIG showed it's cards at the poker table they were holding a bluff and they had to pay the piper on all those insured sub-prime loans they dished out and bundled and sold off to other banks and leanding companies.

This is a "market correction" and this happened because of people living off of bad/over-extended credit and sub-prime loans. For the last 15 years home prices have soared drove up by a false demand on the consumer causing HUGE jumps in markets that never should have seen home prices jump. Banks loaned on these over inflated homes and then more homes began to be built and they had to be sold so they created a sub-prime market to move the empty homes off the market. And then when the douche bags at AIG came along they encouraged all banks to loan more and more with out having capital on hand to cover those sub-prime and variable loans.

Well AIG tanked and here we are...But theres not going to be a food shortage...I mean if not being able to get your favorite pizza crust or sauce for a week or two means food shotage then yea...Other than this it's more of the same. And if you take the time to investigate you'll see America has always had food shortages in spurts here and there my grand father was a farmer and when he had a bad year the local markets that he sold to that relied on his produce ..well became dry. It happens. The market will correct it's self and home prices will starting settling where they SHOULD have been in the first place yes it's bad people have lost their investments...but you cant always rely on a market for your future "IT'S A RISK"....RISK! And with risk comes faults and that means you have to take responsibility for your self. So I applaude all of the people who have the knowledge to live off the land in here thats great cause you have used knowledge to better yourself. I don't applaude those who scan the news and make scare tactics bases on media out-lets that are built for deception and slight of hand tactics to move the contry in a manner that government needs it to move.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

please also take the initiate to starting community gardens, and storing grains in seed form incase the shiiping issue really becomes disrupted. sprouting seed is easy to use for food and regrow more seed, chia flax hemp seeds are good for omega 3 - buckwheat and amaranth have the protein lysine if you do not raise animals, and a hand grinder to make flour is only 30 bucks on sites like ebay

as for the lead, i dont know about that with the gun control / martial law that would come to stop people from killing each other (though the bad ones likely have plenty unregistered leads and more good people will then be robbed)

i would recommend a move to a place you dont have to lock you door, or even pool with friend or family to buy cheap land in a safe place to build you dream vacation spot or campsite with garden heat and water. remember the victory gardens in the depression era? many places are not even safe to keep gas in your tank without addicts siphoning it so location is also key.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I am now "good to go". Have about 18 months of food, meds,and everything else. My wife has been pissed, I have spent tens of thousands on crap for 2 years now. I was getting between 3-12 packages a day and spending probably 1800 a week shopping online. Got a 2 room bunker on 32 acres in the middle of nowhere. If nothing happens I am going to have one hell of a garage sale.
Or I could open a high end camping store. No joke. I have more rice stored up than the VC did during the Vietnam war. Prob more 7.62X39 ammo too. Last time I counted 3400 cans of food. 452 days of MREs, water on a pump well. 3 backup pumps. 2 complete sets of tools, 2500 gallons of gas in a farm container, on and on. The more I type the dumber I feel. I wasted tons of money on what will turn out to be nothing. Hell I paid more for the farm diesel than it's worth now. Jesus....What a world huh. Want to know how OCD I am....12 can openers.....10 Blackhawk backpacks ALL THE SAME. And clothing for about 10 people. I bought so much crap from Moosejaw I have 145,671 points.
...........I EVEN BOUGHT 2 SETS OF SNOW SHOES! And I live in a place where it has not snowed for 200000 years.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

OMG! I think you are ready for anything. LOL...just laughing because I would have done the same thing if I had the $$$$$$$. I have spent all my money lately on survival items but I don't have near what you do. Don't worry, your wife will thank you one day...if not, you can open your own survival store.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by zippy1958

I live in Australia, so i dont think we'll feel the FULL effects in comparison to America in terms of having no food and water - our leader actually CARES about the people.

But I have been cautious though but my girlfriend thinks im stupid for wanting to stock up on canned food.

I think if worse comes to worse, I live right near a lake (10 metres away), and the ocean (200 metres away). So if things got really, really bad I could catch my own food so as long as I have water to drink, than things will be fine.

Just need to follow the old saying - "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime."

Hahah suckers!! Try and kill me off now!!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Aislin
[Has anyone used a plant light to grow food inside? I ordered an assorted non-hybrid and heirloom seed kit online. If food shortages are severe, I was thinking that I would grow food indoors to prevent my garden from being looted]

I have grown plants with HPS and flourscent lights with good results but in the above situation, if food is actually being looted right off people's backyards, I assume at this point there will be no or little electrical power, which would obviously render lights useless. The only way to go about this is if the community starts planting vegetable/fruit plots on the land they are living on then there should be no serious food riots.

HPS is great but attracts attention in unsecured locations. (it is extremely bright and makes people think you are growing marijuana) and you need quite a bit of electric power for it and I wouldn't use it unless I was growing something I wanted to hide. I recommend flourscent lights to get your seedlings/small plants going before I transplant it outdoors (my balcony in this case), where the sun is ideal and free (unless TPTB adds a tax for it:@@

People are also surrounded by food, but they don't really realize that quite a large selection of 'wild' plant/insect life are edible. I would not be surprised that untreated grass is edible. People should have more vitamin stocks instead for their overall health, and use fast growing filler like tomatoes, onions and potatoes, all easily grown, to keep their stomaches full, or be prepared to eat those who got us in this mess in the first place.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I started stocking up on tins and stuff,but ended up thinking DO I REALLY WANT TO SURVIVE THIS? I really admire you survivalists out there, but I think when the tsunami hits i'm tempted to say bye bye world-it's been a wild ride! There's a lady who knows all that glitters is gold and she's climbing the stairway to heaven.Ah zeppelin bliss xx

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by uk today
I started stocking up on tins and stuff,but ended up thinking DO I REALLY WANT TO SURVIVE THIS? I really admire you survivalists out there, but I think when the tsunami hits i'm tempted to say bye bye world-it's been a wild ride! There's a lady who knows all that glitters is gold and she's climbing the stairway to heaven.Ah zeppelin bliss xx

Dont give up we have survival instincts.. You might just want to hang on to those tins

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
3- We import sooo much stuff from China that we don't need to (for example Garlic, what we can't grow our own here ridiculous, it is just China cheap)

Had the Honey down a few time but I did forget the salt

Anyone living near the ocean has an abundant supply of Sea Salt... Just need to evaporate some water
Just remember in the days of the Roman Empire a good soldier was 'worth his weight in salt' and many were paid in salt. So salt also is a great barter item

The China issue though... THAT is already starting to bite us back. China holds a sword over our held with the Billions of US dollars it hoards and the debt we have with them. Also while Chinese goods may be cheaper, they don't last and in the long run cost you more... and put Americans out of work. I work in the convention industry and see the stuff flooding in

because it is cold in Winnipeg over the winter and it feels safe to have a well stocked cupboard.

Winnipeg? Cold?
My first experience in Winnipeg... I arrived late at night middle of Dec and as we landed I looked out the window. The wind was drifting snow across the field... total white out... moving so fast it looked like a water fall sideways. I said "What the hell am I doing here" Temp was a balmy - 34 C

If the price of fuel goes up I am sure at some point the price for locally grown should be equal to stuff imported from asia anyway.WHich is good and bad.

Many moons ago Canada thought they would be nice and teach India and other starving nations the secret of growing grain... and sold then top seed...

Nice gesture to be sure... End result was THEY produced so much that THEY became exporters and now compete with Canada. End result Canadian grain rotted in the silos and the government had to buy it to stop a collapse...

Canada and the mid west USA can provide grain and corn to feed the world... but as you say the cost of fuel and the ability to move it is the issue. If grain went straight to the consumer... you could ship it in box cars and people could just come to the terminals... but grain needs to be made into flour and I know few people even in out Guild that still know how to grind their own flour

Oh and if your getting beans get corn too, I hear your body absorbs the protein from the beans better when eaten with corn!

That is something I never heard before... interesting

Winnipeg The only place in the world where they are proud of the temp reaching a record -72 C

Portage and Main - the major accident cross street... because the winds are so high they pull a girl's skirt over her head...

[edit on 17-10-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by uk today
I started stocking up on tins and stuff,but ended up thinking DO I REALLY WANT TO SURVIVE THIS? I really admire you survivalists out there, but I think when the tsunami hits i'm tempted to say bye bye world-it's been a wild ride!

Back in high school we were taught basic science and basic geology. I see little of that these days...

One thing we were told was when the ocean receded quickly... DO NOT go out and collect the pretty seashells... head for high ground

In the recent tsunami... I saw people running out to see collecting shells and fish... yet one native fishing village said "Well boys, no fishing to day... we are going up the mountain to our shrine and worshiping"

They had a shrine high in the hills... because any one with a little common sense knowledge knows that when the water goes out... it will come back with a vengeance

Seems they do not teach common knowledge these day. I am surprised that NO ONE there yelled "Run for the Hills" as the water receded until it was to late.

When you say "DO I REALLY WANT TO SURVIVE THIS?" sounds like you are talking end of the world... no one here is saying they think it will go that far...

But I have lived in cities where blizzards shut down power and close roads for day... and its nice to be able to know what to do to keep warm, have lights and be able to eat in comfort

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
My food pantry is starting to bulge at the seams.
My husband thinks I'm taking it overboard, but I told him if SHTF then he would thank me later.
We raise big gardens every year, so I have enough potatoes and home canned foods for a year. I decided while planning my food stock that I don't want to eat just beans or rice, so I have bought cake mixes, fruit pie filling, brownies and so forth just to add some sweet to the tooth..
Ive also been stocking up on salt ,pepper and other spices I like to cook with. At least spices will keep it from being bland.

Ive also been stocking up on bath wash, shampoos, cleaning supplies, toilet paper.
If you know someone who has lived through the depression years ago, start asking questions and listen. My dad said all he knew growing up was soup beans ,fried potatoes and corn bread. He said you didn't go in and ask MA what was for supper, because the menu was the same..daily
Some people had it a little easier, some had a very hard time, but they did survive.
We have a wood stove in our house so I don't worry about the winter.
Even if we didn't have electric, the stove will heat the house without the blower even being on. During an Ice storm some years ago we was without electric for7- 8 days, stayed good and warm and we took the top off the wood stove and I cooked on it everyday. My husband is a hunter so we don't have to worry about meat. He also knows what wild greens and mushrooms you can eat.
I hate the thought of going into this mode of survival, it would really suck as we all are so use to the modern conveniences at our finger tips.
I'm hoping that this scenerio does not take place, but if so we can survive if we stick together.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
HPS is great but attracts attention in unsecured locations. (it is extremely bright and makes people think you are growing marijuana)

That is so funny yet so true... same with chemistry equipment. They automatically assume you have a Meth lab. I have a mineral assay lab in my garage. One day cops were all over the neighborhood looking for a guy with a gun and one opened my garage. Next day they came to question me about my lab. Since I had nothing to hide I showed them, but did lodge a formal complaint after and received a written apology.

People are also surrounded by food, but they don't really realize that quite a large selection of 'wild' plant/insect life are edible. I would not be surprised that untreated grass is edible.

Grass is edible yes... hard to process... but there are better ones.

Dandelions have been mentioned. The flowers go great in salads. The leaves are highly nutritious just like kale, spinach or collard greens and taste similar and are prepared the same way.

Pick the first growth... then boil once and drain to remove bitterness. Also makes a fantastic wine. Back in Toronto you can see the Italians picking dandelions on the side of roads etc. I would stay away from roads though as those plants absorb car exhausts.

Chamomile Great medicinal tea for stomach ailments and tastes great, sold at high price in herbal tea shops... yet its a common weed in your garden

If you have garden space grow a wild herb garden. These plants are called 'weeds' because they grow quickly and grow where they want to, but that doesn't make them bad

Chamomile

The Chamomile flower is most often consumed in the form of a bitter herb tea infusion. Taken internally, the infusion's effects include calming of the digestive tract, and easing of the spasms of irritable bowel syndrome, nocturnal cramps and period pains. It's a relaxant and sedative, so it is often taken against insomnia or anxiety. The infusion can be used externally to reduce minor skin irritation because of its mild antiseptic effect and it lightens the hair. Ingestion of the dried flowers has an emetic effect.

en.wikipedia.org...

Purslane

This one grows in cracks in your sidewalk. Treated as a weed here, its one of the best plants you can eat

Although purslane is considered a weed in the United States, it can be eaten as a leaf vegetable. It has a slightly sour and salty taste and is eaten throughout much of Europe and Asia.[3][1] The stems, leaves and flower buds are all good to eat. Purslane can be used fresh as a salad, stir-fried, or cooked like spinach, and because of its mucilaginous quality it is also suitable for soups and stews. Australian Aborigines used to use the seeds to make seedcakes.

Purslane contains more Omega-3 fatty acids (alpha-linolenic acid in particular[4]) than any other leafy vegetable plant. Simopoulos states that Purslane has .01 mg/g of EPA. This is an extraordinary amount of EPA for land based vegetable sources. EPA is an Omega-3 fatty acid normally found mostly in fish and some algae. [5] It also contains vitamins (mainly vitamin A, vitamin C, and some vitamin B and carotenoids), as well as dietary minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, potassium and iron. Also present are two types of betalain alkaloid pigments, the reddish betacyanins (visible in the coloration of the stems) and the yellow betaxanthins (noticeable in the flowers and in the slight yellowish cast of the leaves). Both of these pigment types are potent antioxidants and have been found to have antimutagenic properties in laboratory studies.[6]

100 grams of fresh purslane leaves (about 1 cup) contain 300 to 400 mg of alpha-linolenic acid. One cup of cooked leaves contains 90 mg of calcium, 561 mg of potassium, and more than 2,000 IUs of vitamin A.

en.wikipedia.org...

or be prepared to eat those who got us in this mess in the first place.

Just had a picture pop into mind of Bush roasting on an open spit

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
people also say if you are one that is in need of life saving meds to have enough presriptions filled so that you dont run out in desperate times!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by k-string
I just don't think food will run out. I won't be stocking up on food at all. If I go to the store and there's nothing there, then you can say you told me so. Until then, y'all are a bunch of loonies.

Spoken like a true believer! Well good luck with that. When Darwin's Deputies come knocking 911 won't help you.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join