It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cowichan Hospital/Mill Bay UFO sightings - 1970.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Series of UFO sightings which occurred over New Years day in Cowichan and Mill bay, Canada, 1970. In one of the incidents a nurse from the local hospital opened the curtains of a third floor room only to see a flying object with people inside it.

Cowichan Hospital Sighting, New Years day, 1970:

In the early morning hours of New Year's Day 1970, a Canadian nurse, Doreen Kendall, pulled open the curtain in a patient's room in the Cowichan District hospital, and according to a newspaper article (in the Cowichan Leader), she later reported what saw was during her night schedule at the hospital like this:

Object description:

"Just as I pulled the drapes a brilliant light hit me in the eyes," she said. "It was still dark outside, but about 60 feet away right above the children's ward, there was this object so big and bright I could see everything clearly.
"The object was circular and had what I guess you would call a top and bottom. The bottom was silvery, like metal, and was shaped like a bowl. There was a string of bright lights around it like a necklace. The top was a dome made of something like glass. It was lit up from inside and I could see right into it."

Nurse Kendall, Cowichan District Hospital, Jan 1st, 1970

www.ufodigest.com...
www.ufocasebook.com...

edit on 20-9-2023 by karl 12 because: Fix image

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
UFO Occupant description:

How Nurse Kendal described the incident to the newpaper 'the Cowichan Leader'

"There was a brilliantly lighted dome, occupied by two human-like men, which was stationary in the air about 60 feet away from CDH, above the second floor where I was working in the extended care unit. I was so taken with the flying saucer that I didn't call anyone. I felt mummified and fascinated and stood there for about five minutes watching before I called another nurse, Mrs. Freda Wilson".

The craft, which was slightly tipped downwards toward her was about 50 feet in diameter, or about the width of five hospital windows. While the craft hovered above her, she could see only the upper half of the figures, but when the vehicle tilted she saw their full profile. They had nice physiques, more than six-feet tall, and their hands were the same color and shape as ours. Their faces were covered and they wore dark suits, like a pilot's uniform, of soft-looking material.

"Maybe because I'm so mechanically minded, but I suspect they were having mechanical trouble and had stopped to make repairs". She said one man stood over an instrument panel made of chrome, and the other stood behind him. There were stools for them to sit on. She described the saucer-shaped craft as silvery, metallic with a necklace of lights around the middle. It made no sound while it hovered above her or even later when it took off southward. While watching, one man turned and looked directly and put his hand on the back of the man sitting down.

The other man then pulled back 'a joystick' similar to those in a big airplane and the object tilted sideways giving her an even better view of the instrument panel and interior. She noticed that the dome seemed to be lit from below rather than from above. When it started to pull away, I realized no one would believe me and I ran and called Mrs. Wilson to come and look.

www.ufodigest.com...

Other witnesses:

At this point Doreen called to Frieda Wilson, who came to the window in time to see the object outside. The two then ran to the nurses station and told three other nurses, who reached the window in time to see the object, although it was some distance away by then.

www.ufocasebook.com...

edit on 20-9-2023 by karl 12 because: Fix Image

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Second UFO sighting - Mill Bay, Canada, New Years day, 1970.

On New Year's Day, 1970, Jim Drummond, age 22, and his wife Dianne, 18, reported studying a bright light in the sky at Mill Bay, through a telescope.

"It was about seven o'clock and Jim and Dianna were still on the boat, anchored close to shore, when I went outside to call them in to dinner," she said. "Then I noticed a light in the sky moving over the bay. I couldn't tell how big it was, it was so bright, and it had a yellow-orangey glow like sunlight.
"I looked up and saw this light coming in from the north, just about in line with our boat. It was skimming right under the overcast which was about 900 feet.
It was sort of egg-shaped, in a vertical position, but the top and bottom were indistinct.It seemed to be transparent on top, and inside it I thought I could see a set of lights but I couldn't really make out any details.
Just at that point something came out of that thing which by then had slowed down almost to a stop.
It was a ray of light like a very thin neon tube, and it was in pieces, something like the dots and dashes of morse code. It came down in a curve and then it flashed right out, all of it at the same time. My hair just stood up on end. I couldn't imagine anything like it."

Jim Drummond -Shipwright

www.ufobc.ca...

edit on 20-9-2023 by karl 12 because: Fix Image

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Witness gets a visit from the military:

Drummond UFO sighting

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8df473fa24ad.jpg[/atsimg]

Article

..Later, Jim Drummond told the investigator that he was visited by a military man from Nevada. The investigator wondered if that man could have been from hanger 51 or Norad.

Later, Jones called and left a message for him to call her. She had read the January 7th, 1970 article from the Cowichan Leader and on April 17th 2008, Leanne Jones talked again with Jim Drummond.

Jones asked him if the article was accurate and Jim replied:

"Yes, but the part about the neon tube-like thing that came out of the object, carrying along the tube flashing 'pieces of light' much like a Morse code was not in it."

Then Drummond said that that element of the story was particularly interesting to the military man who visited him after the sighting. The investigator asked Drummond if the milirary man might have been from Area 51 or NORAD. Drummond replied:

"No. He was from something 'blue'."

The investigator asked Drummond if it was the "Blue Book Project" and he replied, "That's it."

(Editor's note: Project Blue Book had officially ended in December 1969 after the release of the Condon Committee Report, but continued "unofficially" through January 1970, indicating that although "officially" closed in December, Project Blue continued "unofficially" for another month, making the Cowichan UFO investigation one of the last "Blue Book" UFO investigations or the FIRST ONE in the continuation of Project Blue Book unofficially, i.e. sub rosa, "behind closed doors."

It is also possible that Mr. Drummond's "USAF military man" was using Project Blue Book as a cover for his true association, most likely, AFOSI, the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, which was then beginning another UFO investigation project, as many UFOlogists suspect, but under a code name that we still do not know.)

www.theblackvault.com...(1-1-1970)

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Unfortunately what we have here is the same thing that plagues many reports that deal with this subject.

So we are supposed to discuss here something that allegedly occurred way back in 1970. It is impossible to discuss something that happened then in this community even if it was documented from many sources, even if it has nothing to do with this subject. So where to go from here?

Seriously, just try to get your average ATS'er to agree on anything normal that occurred in 1970, something that is well documented and even in history books. In this community, you never will. There is always something impossibly "nefarious" that overshadows the average "sheeple's" limited "knowledge". So how in the heck can anything like this lead to anything other than perpetuating the very thing that makes this subject a laughable joke?

This means that, at this time, we can only regard this as an interesting story and nothing more. I wish I was wrong, but anybody with half a brain knows what I am typing here is 100% correct.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Curious.

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
... Seriously, just try to get your average ATS'er to agree on anything normal that occurred in 1970, something that is well documented and even in history books. In this community, you never will. There is always something impossibly "nefarious" that overshadows the average "sheeple's" limited "knowledge". So how in the heck can anything like this lead to anything other than perpetuating the very thing that makes this subject a laughable joke?

Per your signature,

"There are hundreds of places on the net where you can find plenty of ignorant people that swallow without chewing. I for one am glad that ATS is generally not one of those places."

You seem to be caught in an interesting dichotomy, ITF. Anyway, we can discuss these things in terms of varying degrees of probabilty, inductively, and rationally.

Interesting accounts Karl. Never heard of them before!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Unfortunately what we have here is the same thing that plagues many reports that deal with this subject.

What you mean witness testimony?

I agree thats all there is in this case but you know as well as I do that many other UFO incidents also involve radar confirmation, electromagnetic interference effects, ground trace evidence etc.. so I wouldn't be that melodramatic.

So where to go from here?

Well, research is always a good idea - there may be other reports which occurred on the same day in the same area or other members may have further information to substantiate the existing incidents -the point is you never know.

Or of course you could always just sit back and do nothing.

Seriously, just try to get your average ATS'er to agree on anything normal that occurred in 1970, something that is well documented and even in history books. In this community, you never will. There is always something impossibly "nefarious" that overshadows the average "sheeple's" limited "knowledge". So how in the heck can anything like this lead to anything other than perpetuating the very thing that makes this subject a laughable joke?

First of all I don't think theres any such thing as an average ATSer -secondly it always seems like you come on these threads using negative terminology and bemoaning the state of Ufology, the ATS UFO forum and its membership in general without ever actually addressing the incidents themselves.

Can I ask you why this is?
edit on 21-9-2023 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I would have to agree with ITF here. I don't think he is being negative. He is just being realistic.

Even if witness testimony was reliable (which we know it is not), after 40 years it would be impossible to verify many of the facts of the case.

All of the cases that you keep digging up karl, were probably investigated in the past. If nothing was turned up then, when the cases were fresh, then it's unlikely that we will find something there now after all this time. You are just muddying the waters with more inconclusive evidence, and it's not getting us anywhere.

Feel free to link me to a case where you have managed to come to a definitive conclusion, as I would love someone to prove me wrong.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
I would have to agree with ITF here. I don't think he is being negative. He is just being realistic.

If he was being realistic then why does he just post emotive remarks and never address the actual thread content?

Its certainly not the first time he's gone on a rant about subjective matters whilst blatantly ignoring subject matter.

All of the cases that you keep digging up karl, were probably investigated in the past. If nothing was turned up then, when the cases were fresh, then it's unlikely that we will find something there now after all this time.

Yes, lets just ignore all the cases before 1990 shall we?

Its a good job people have not taken advice like yours (which I suspect may be based on lazy prejudice) or evidence would never have been uncovered in cases like the Portage County Incident:

*Above BlueBook* - Ohio UFO Chase , Portage County April 17, 1966

You are just muddying the waters with more inconclusive evidence, and it's not getting us anywhere.

CHUD -as replied to in this thread I think if anyones muddying the waters its people like your good self who selectively debunk, deride and cherrypick cases whilst wilfully ignoring anything that doesn't fit snugly within a preconceived worldview.

You know as well as I do that if the object described in the above incident was confirmed on radar then you would now just be flippantly dismissing it as 'ground clutter'.

edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Even if witness testimony was reliable (which we know it is not), after 40 years it would be impossible to verify many of the facts of the case.

If the field of Ufology took your view point and that of the Ignorethefacts the field would have ceased to have existed at all. If all you really have to work with is witness testimony than that is all you can work with... if you expect the only real evidence of worth is a crashed saucer with dead bodies in your own personal possession then your gonna wait one hell of a long time.

Strange thing is the case sited by the OP is one of the real good ones, multiple sightings in the same area, nothing overly fanciful in the sightings, all sighted by fairly regular people in regular professions and situations (Nurses have good observational skills I would think so it was nice to see a couple of them witness something like this).

Witness testimony especially in regards to the OP cases is gold. Since now days its so badly tainted with attention seekers and media saturated people. To poo poo an old case because its now to old and nothing but a 'story' is ludicrous as Karl12 mentions.

Strange thing is I think Ignorethefacts has regularly put across this 'all witness testimony is pointless' ideal in quite a few threads before... its not being realistic, since to be realistic would mean we might as well give up on ufology right now since it aint gonna go much beyond eye witness testimony being the real meat and potatoes of the field.

In which case why is he even bothering to post in the UFO forum?

Edit:- Heh should comment on the OP, nice post Karl12, I didnt realize there where extra of sightings linked to the hospital one. You learn something new every day.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
I didnt realize there where extra of sightings linked to the hospital one. You learn something new every day.

BigfootNZ, thanks for the reply and wholeheartedly agree with your comments there mate.

It appears there were some other UFO reports from around the same time and area - one involving motorists witnessing a UFO in front of a farm and another sighting involving the town Mayor.

Mayor James Quaife.

Phoning James Quaife, the mayor of Duncan, on a tip, we learned that one night in January, he and his wife and several neighbors, watched a light many times brighter than a star perform spectacular manoeuvres in the sky, including dead stops and reversal of direction.

A month later after the excitement seemed to have died, John Vanderhoek, who lives on a farm by the Vancouver Island highway, phoned to say that motorists were crowding up in front of his place to watch a "red thing in the air" that was putting on quite a performance. He described it as rising and falling, and changing in intensity as it did so. Above the reddish light there appeared to be a white one, and the object was in motion despite a complete absence of wind.
As he spoke the light moved toward mountains to the west and disappeared.

That apparently marked the end of the Vancouver Island flap, at least for the time being. But it might be well to explain that the Jan. 1 sightings did not really mark the beginning. In December there had been a scattering of sightings north of Duncan, and in one case the object sounded very similar to that reported by Vanderhoek. It was glowing white on top and red on the bottom.

Link

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Another strange UFO sighting from around the same time and area -this time witnessed by a teacher, two aides, a school secretary and two students.

Duncan's Alexander elementary school

..but the most striking of these earlier incidents occurred one morning above Duncan's Alexander elementary school. The object in this case was ring-shaped and, as it moved silently overhead, was observed by a teacher, two aides, the school secretary and two students.

"The ring definitely looked as if it was made of some solid substance," Mrs. Edith Beiling, one of the aides, told us. "It was like a very large heavy hula hoop and the material looked like thick rolled-up plastic. It seemed to change in size slightly, perhaps because it was moving up and down, and we didn't have any real idea what size it was but I'd say a large plane could have fitted into it about 15 times.

"We saw it through a window from inside the school at first, then we rushed outside to get a better look. We were all pretty excited, and I think there was one who was even quite frightened. I felt like ringing the school bell but decided I had better not."

Mrs. Beiling explained the day was heavily overcast at the time and consequently it was difficult to say whether they were staring through open space in the middle of the craft, or whether the center was made of some material matching the clouds in color. But there was no doubt in the witnesses' minds that they were looking at a solid object, not at a smoke ring. After about three minutes the object was lost from sight.

Link

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

take ur negative narrow mind somewhere else and debunk ur brain

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
""First of all I don't think theres any such thing as an average ATSer -secondly it always seems like you come on these threads using negative terminology and bemoaning the state of Ufology, the ATS UFO forum and its membership in general without ever actualy addressing the incidents themselves.""

Yup, a rather sad tactic employed is to use egotistical wit and arrogance to make oneself appear knowing more than others while never even bothering to debate the topic at hand. ITF's demeanor and attitude towards others on this forum since I have been a part of ATS is completely uncalled for in most cases and only serves to diminish effective debate in this community. But I must be careful, I wouldn't want to be accused of whining like I was by another such ominous member who uses the same pathetic tactics.

""So we are supposed to discuss here something that allegedly occurred way back in 1970. It is impossible to discuss something that happened then in this community even if it was documented from many sources, even if it has nothing to do with this subject. So where to go from here?""

This is your own personal viewpoint and not the viewpoint of everyone else, especially historians. Many of the events surrounding the first and second World Wars are documented from first hand credible eyewitness testimony and accepted as what actually took place. I guess when it comes to the area of UFO's that acceptable practice of witness testimony is abandoned huh?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

reply to post by karl 12

You are just muddying the waters with more inconclusive evidence, and it's not getting us anywhere.

G'day C.H.U.D.

I disagree completely.

karl 12's continuing high quality posting of these fascinating cases is a true highlight of ATS.

Regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

I agree completely. Speak for yourself CHUD; you definitely don't speak for the vast majority of us. Karl12's threads and others presentations are the only reason I come to check this forum everyday.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Jocko Flocko]

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
This is your own personal viewpoint and not the viewpoint of everyone else, especially historians. Many of the events surrounding the first and second World Wars are documented from first hand credible eyewitness testimony and accepted as what actually took place. I guess when it comes to the area of UFO's that acceptable practice of witness testimony is abandoned huh?

You make a good point there Jocko and I've always found it strange how first hand credible eyewitness testimony has a tendency to be 'ignored' when it comes to the UFO subject - here are some other witness statements from policemen, pilots, Naval Officers etc..

Statements about the UFO/OVNI subject.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
karl 12 should be given a ATS medal of honour for all his hard work, dedication , time and effort he has put into the cases he posts on ATS.To ignore witnesses just because of the time scales involved is nonsense and not a very intelligent choice considering that in this subject every bit of information has to be looked and considered, we are not dealing with part politics here, we are dealing with a subject that has very important implications for all humankind.I would rather have ALL information and evidence available and considered ,regardless of time frames, than nit picking irrelevances that seem to concentrate on attacking the perceptions that witnesses are of no importance because of the time frames involved of any given case.Keep up the good work Karl, youre efforts do not go unnoticed.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by K-PAX-PROT

Thanks for the kind words KPax and I completely agree with your comments about witness testimony - I think out of all the many eyewitness statements given about the UFO subject, I found this interview to be one of the most compelling - the thread is a very, very good one too.

See 1:12

The Coyne incident, Mansfield, Ohio, 1973,

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
reply to post by K-PAX-PROT

Thanks for the kind words KPax and I completely agree with your comments about witness testimony - I think out of all the many eyewitness statements given about the UFO subject, I found this interview to be one of the most compelling - the thread is a very, very good one too.

See 1:12

The Coyne incident, Mansfield, Ohio, 1973,

Cheers.

Hi Karl cheers for the link and vid you kindly included .You are right about this case, its one hell of a jaw dropper.When one goes down the rabbit hole of this subject it can reveal and open up so many other labyrinths of revelations.

edit on 15/07/2010 by K-PAX-PROT because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join