It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is now a good time to buy a SUV?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
If you just want something to drive around for a few years you could do worse. If you want a vehicle that has any value left after the next couple years I would say no.

I think in less than 5 years, that cars will have advanced to the point that traditional gasoline powered vehicles are well on their way to being obsolete. One big war in the middle east will finally convince everyone that such change is really the only choice we have. Things for the big 3 will only get worse (though I also think they are eventually our answer out of this) as they make this adjustment.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

No, because it is nothing more than the same market manipulation that brought gas prices up in the first place. If you buy an SUV right now, in a few months time you'll be hating yourself for it.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I'd first stock up on 10-15 year supply of long lasting MREs and other supplies if I were you. Then I'd continue to buy things like I'd normally do.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
NO. If you are just thinking of buying because of lower gas prices ... beware. The price of gas goes up and down - as a political tool. They will rise again when the Bildebergers decide to push a 'raise the price' button.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It's all personal choice. Like to buy a BMW or a Dodge. And what you use it for. I tow a horse trailer, get supplies from Home Depot and Costco, so I need something bigger.

Right now the choice is between a $40,000 hybrid or a $20,000 SUV plus $20,000 in gas. However the cost over 100,000 miles is nearly the same.

For the SUV; let's say the average cost of gas is $3/gallon. $20K in gas is 6,667 gallons. At 15mpg that's 100,000 miles. If you put 10% down you'll finance $18K, at 10% interest your 48 month payments are $456, for a total of $22K plus the $2K down ($24K). Also the resale value would be about half, so $10K. The end cost is $44K with $10K back if you sell it, so $34K. Monthly costs for gas (assuming 15K miles/year) is $250, with payment total is $706.

For the Hybrid; 100,000 miles at 30mpg average will require 3,333 gallons, at $3/gallon that's $10,000. If you put 10% down you'll finance $36K, at 10% interest your 48 month payments are $913, for a total of $44K plus the $4K down ($48K). Also the resale value would be about half at $20K. The end cost is $58K with $20K back so the cost is $38K. Monthly cost for gas is $125, and with payment monthly cost is $1,038.

If the hybrid averages 40mpg and the SUV cost is a bit higher, than the costs are pretty much equal.

I believe global warming is tied to sun cycles and methane released from the oceans more than cars, so that's a non-issue for me. I don't like toxic emissions, but newer cars are cleaner than ever, often the exhaust is cleaner than the air taken in which is a case against using old cars for daily drivers. But no one has yet figured out how to recycle toxic batteries used in hybrids. So I think the hybrid batteries create an environmental risk that for me are not worth it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join