It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is now a good time to buy a SUV?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Gas prices have dropped a $1 a gallon.

Is it a good time to pick up a new SUV?

They've really come down in price.

Realistically if gas prices rise to $8 a gallon they might as well just nuke manhatten, because no one will be able to afford anything.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Are you serious?
Is there EVER a good time to buy a huge gas guzzling vehicle?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashamedamerican

Is there EVER a good time to buy a huge gas guzzling vehicle?

Yes when gas prices return to near normal.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Smaller cross overs that get mid to high 20's mpg are far more practical..

Honestly, there is absolutely NO reason to ever own a massive SUV like a Yukon except to fuel ones own ineptness..

I mean, hell, I fit everything I need in my XD lol .. a bite size snack of a car.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Ever heard of "peak oil?"
How long will prices return to "normal" when china and india are industrializing at an alarming rate?
I think anything we can do to get off our oil addiction is good.
Buying SUV's sends us in the opposite direction of getting off oil.
So in one word, NO!
You need to start looking at the larger picture.
Look at iceland for example, they have been working on geo-thermal, solar, and wind power.
They are also implementing ethanol, although I have to question the logic behind using corn for fuel when there are humans starving.
I parked my truck until winter and bought a moped.
I have been the brunt of plenty of jokes at work from all the "manly men" who are too manly to ever ride a moped, but guess who's really getting the last laugh.
It's definitely not them paying 50+ dollars to fill the tank of their trucks and SUV's

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Ever heard of "peak oil?"

Oh no there's no problem. Gas prices are returning to normal.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I'm sorry but the words "normal" and "gas prices" do not belong in the same sentence.

Honestly though - I think it's a great time to buy an SUV. Get the biggest you can find cause they're really cheap. Then when gas prices go through the roof again I won't have to worry about as much traffic cause you'll be sitting at home not able to afford to feed that monster.

One thing though - when the prices do rise again I don't want to hear you bellyaching about how much gas costs. If you choose to drive an SUV then just suck it up and take what you get.

Don't forget to ask if it has a hemi......

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
gas prices are not returning to normal.

What has happened is the economy has taken a nose dive, and people can't afford the gas consumption they could several years ago. Thus, the oil prices dropped.

Now if everyone thought along the same lines as you, they would all purchase SUV's (because they are cheap), and blammo, your demand has risen again, and the price of gas is around 5 bucks.

Do yourself a favor, get off petrol if possible, or minimize your consumption. The line of thought that "gas is cheap" is what got us into this whole mess with oil prices anyway.

Right now, Supply is exceeding demand... this is VERY temporary.

Everything will right itself here shortly, and Demand will exceed supply once again.

check out this link... it ain't over yet...

www.philly.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
Oh no there's no problem. Gas prices are returning to normal.

You must either work for an SUV dealer or an oil company.
Either that or you are REALLY out of touch with reality.
Then again with your other post...
"Is now a good time to buy a house?"
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I'm starting to wonder if you're just trying to get ATS/BTS points for starting new threads.

We are in an economic crisis, people are killing their families and then committing suicide.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Now isn't really a good time to buy a piece of gum unless you're pretty financially well-off.

This is like starting a thread on september 12th 2001 asking "is now a good time to fly?"
I definitely have to question your motives and/or perspective here...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   

This is like starting a thread on september 12th 2001 asking "is now a good time to fly?"

Look if you people are gonna fix the economy you need to create something, like more debt. If more people would just borrow money again and increase thier consumption of oil, the economy wouldn't be so bad and people would have jobs.

Not being insensative and not looking for points, just stating the reality of the situation.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Gas prices and Oil are only down because of the elections IMHO.

You are foolish to buy a gas guzzler now or any time in the future.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I guess it's ok to buy an SUV. That way, when we run out of oil(sooner rather than later), you and your Family can LIVE in it.
Get real- why would anyone buy an SUV now? In fact, why DID anyone ever buy an SUV?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
actually realistically, money wise, it is probably more economical to buy a SUV at this time. especially if gas goes down which it is predicted to. Because SUV's and larger vehicles are about worthless. especially used vehicles.

But i would suggest diesel SUV's they get better millage and can be converted to bio diesel. so if you got a friend who works at a fast food restaurant you can get free veggie oil to power your vehicle.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
We own a car dealership and SUV's are so cheap, they are big sellers. Seriously. People who have always wanted one, but, couldn't afford to buy one, now can

Thing is, minivans don't get much better gas mileage. 2-4mpg better depending on the van. My Tahoes/Yukons all run on flex fuel and get about 18mpg. A van gets about 20mpg. I can tow a horse trailer with a Tahoe/Yukon, can't with a minivan(no matter the engine, the rear end is not geared correctly and it is front wheel drive)

I have to have a vehicle that will fit 2 36" dog crates, two kids(sometimes with friends) and luggage. If you are single, have no kids, and have nothing you have to haul around, you don't need an SUV and are better off buying a smaller car.

It is a great time to buy a house. House prices have deflated and if you qualify for a home loan, you know you can afford it! Its an even better time to buy a motorhome. The have fallen through the floor so badly, you can get a nice one cheap! As much as I travel, it costs me the same sometimes less to take the motorhome and stay. Then I don't have to think about nasty hotel rooms or having to drag the dogs back and forth.

You will have to put gas in that SUV and I wouldn't count on gas staying cheap. I hope it does, but, I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Here is some advice from a travelling salesman. Trust me, I know my cost down to the tenth of the cent per mile.

Never mind how much the car costs up front. That is irrelevant. FIGURE THE DEPRECIATION OF THE VEHICLE OVER THE TIME YOU PLAN TO OWN IT. Add that to the per mile gas costs, repair costs, etc. Look at edmunds.com -- it is the most reliable source for these types of information.

Find the vehicle that meets your needs which has the lowest overall per mile cost, and you will probably be much better off than focusing on one aspect of the cost.

By the way, for a few years I was able to order a new Tahoe/Suburban every six months and sell it for more than I paid for it. Negative depreciation, baby. Those were some cheap rides.

Today's cheapest rides are hybrids and VW diesels.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Sure is ,as a matter of fact I'll sell you my Land Rover,granted it gets 9.9 mpg downhill but sure looks and drives cool,I'll make you a deal

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Land Rovers have horrible resale. That is a car I have never owned, as it is one that my husband really dislikes. Cool looking, have a cool reputation, but, not the most reliable of vehicles.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
you want to buy an SUV ? here buy mine lol it gets 8 miles per gallon

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
There isn't anything else.
Gas will always be the best fuel.
Nothing will change.
Electric cars are the Edsel of today.
Stay away.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I just got an 08' nissan titan, with 11k miles for 18,200$. They were asking 24,000 but they had about 8 of them on the lot. It was in almost new condition. It is a buyers market out there. BTW it guzzles gas at 17mpg, which isn't really that bad for a 320 horsepower V-8. I love it, it rips, has a nice stereo and seating for 6.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join