It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Closed threads. Why do they even exist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Can closed threads please be indicated by adding the words closed thread to the thread title? Or better yet, just remove them completely.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Closed threads as in 'Locked' ones?

Not sure if I'm understanding you right...but threads that get locked down are indicated of course by the Lock Icon next to them.

Why are some left there?
Well - I'm guessing many reasons.

1. Sometimes there is information within them, normally a redirection to a more appropriate thread, that would be beneficial for the poster/other Members...so they may get left there for that benefit of advisement.

2. They also serve as a public/visible recording of events. As you may well imagine we/Staff have received complaints and queries, allegations and the like, around *removing* threads from the Forum. Its not at all uncommon for any thread that is removed to spawn a few "Censorship! Coverup! ATS is a CIA Front!" type complaints and additional threads popping up...so sometimes leaving the thread visible helps in some way negate that.

3. They also can at times serve as an example of what NOT to do as a Member. A bit like a 'head on a stake'...not as harsh of course and I'm not meaning it so brutally, but you get what I'm saying. Leaving some threads visible and locked down can also serve as encouragement for others not to go down that path.

Cheers.

join