It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The economy woes will breed crime and suicide rates across the country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Interesting that as he Economy keep melting the links to suicide rates and crime will increase nation wide.

This happen before as in the 50s and is bound to happen now.

“Every recession since the late ’50s has been associated with an increase in crime and, in particular, property crime and robbery, which would be most responsive to changes in economic conditions,” said Richard Rosenfeld, a sociologist at the University of Missouri.

Indeed, when the markets crashed in 1987, New York City had to deal with a record murder rate the following year. During the financial crisis of the 1970s the city averaged 294 robberies per day.

“You see a strong relationship between falling wages and higher unemployment rates for less educated men and crime rates that tend to go up,” said Bruce A. Weinberg, an associate professor of economics at The Ohio State University, who studied data from 1979 to 1997.

This a very interesting article that is a most read. People needs to start protecting themselves and their properties as 2009 could be a very bloody year in America.

www.economyincrisis.org...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
You and I are on the very same page here. Alcohol and drug abuse rates skyrocketed after the 1987 stock market crash and during the 1990 - 1991 recession. Teenage pregnancy rates peaked in 1991.

This is where the rubber meets the road, as I far as I'm concerned. You can always make more money - eventually. But you can't get your life back.

As I predict in Justin Oldham's forum, 2009 will be the worst year in American history.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

Thanks for the post, I wonder why people when in stressful situations tend to fall back rather than just learn from the situation and move on.

Yes the economy is crappy, we have a corporate corrupted government, yes we are not doing nothing to take our nation back for the people and yes we are allowing this corporate corrupted government to sink the nation to the ground with their dirty deals to save their own butts.

But that doesn't means that while the elite runs with the money to greener pastures abroad we the victims have to drink our lives to death and live in oblivion with drugs.

I don't get it.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Everyone has their breaking point. When that point is nearing, most do not know how to handle the situation. So they seek escapes, a release valve, whether it be drugs, alcohol, sex, violence. Anything to get those endorphins/dopamine pumping into the brain to help them feel anything but miserable. As the saying goes, history repeats itself, and not just on a broad scale. You would think drunk driving would stop because of all the ads/movements showing the dangers, the possible prison time, the accidents, the deaths. But people need to figure things out for themselves.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

People needs to start protecting themselves and their properties as 2009 could be a very bloody year in America.

The boyscout in me says be prepared. I bought a shotgun a few months ago. United We Stand makes a good political theme... but it goes right out the window come desperate times.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

If everybody will united to find a common ground to help each other during this time in our nation's crisis things will be a lot different, but we are geared to mind our own business and to stay clear from strangers.

That is why that is so easier to manipulate the populations when they are divided.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

Like my husband said he will help anybody that ask for help, but for those that only wants to take advantage of the situation and get what they want without asking polite and by brutal force he have not sympathies for them.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I agree with you in theory, but in practice this never works for some reason. People can unite for a time towards a common goal. But once things get comfortable or they get used to their present situation, divisions abound. That is why communism cannot work. It is a great thing to think about but its practical applications are severely limited by human ability.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
That brings the issue that we while civilized and living in modern societies, we are after all nothing more than a species of the animal kingdom and as animals when we are faced with danger and against a wall we will react with surviving instincts just like animals.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Seems it is just against human nature,there are dirt bags who see someone helping someone out and they think that person has a lot of money or lot's of material items,and end up killing or robbing unfortunately being a nice person some see it as a weakness,what happened to the old days when everyone helped one another out,glad I'm old because I've seen quite enough to be honest with you,I just feel sorry for my kids because thats the way I brought them up to help one another ,and yes poverty breeds destruction just look at Chicago

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I also has brought up my children to feel kindness and to help others in need, but I also told them to be vigilant of those that comes with sheep clothes and are nothing but wolves.

Is OK to be kind but also is OK to defend yourselves and your property when the need comes.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

The coming years will be "interesting" (as the Chinese curse says). I've always said to the little woman that we need to "thin the herd". Now's the time.

Everyone's belief systems will be put to the test. Does it work--or are you in deep doodoo. As Dr. Phil would say: "Is that working for youuuuu?"

This ain't no party
this ain't no disco
this ain't no foolin' around . . . .

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
There will be a new Tribalism and the strong well armed tribes will take over the weak. Barbarism, and blood lust will be the order of the day.
Hungry people revert to primitive behavior to survive.

My advice is to get on a plane for anywhere when the food distribution network starts to breaks down, when the power grid suffers massive downtime or when the www. stops. That's my plan.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by whaaa]

top topics

join