Hello all fellow ATSers. I'd like to start a little "game" of some sort. It's not like a proper game, nobody wins, nobody loses; it's serious and
not serious at the same time.
I'd just like to be able to share opinions about the future of the stellar system, and of course, mankind.
I'd appreciate if your answers are serious (even if they are welcome to be funny!). Also, feel free to comment the questions & the answers (your own,
as well as others). I am just curious as to see how others see the future (not tomorrow, but talking in cosmological times).
All questions assume that mankind can continue to thrive and evolve on Earth, or even elsewhere. So let's go...
1. In the past century, humans have made huge leaps of evolution. Not so long ago, going into space was impossible. Today it's a dream for many. How
long do you think, roughly, it should take before most of people can travel in space, would it be just to the Moon, just like we do today a trip in a
2. Partly linked with 1., when will the first properly speaking Moon City exist? I mean, a permanently inhabitated installation, with frequent
exchanges with earth, as a minimum.
3. How long you think it will take us to actually send humans on Mars?
4. How long until we will "terraform" Mars or the Moon?
5. Linked to 4., we know for a fact that the sun is gradually getting hotter and bigger. It is gaining approximately 10% each billion of years that's
elapsing, at the moment. I reckon that still gives us a long time, but when do you think that life on Earth will have become impossible?
6. Again, linked to 4. and also 5., do you believe that we will be able to terraform and colonize, properly speaking, Mars before life on Earth is
7. Given the fact that the sun evolves towards a red giant, when it will gain that stage (in roughly 5 billions of years), do you think that we will
be able to colonize Titan or Ganymede for instance and live around a giant gaseous? Or maybe we'd be already much further away than that?
8. Do you think, simply, that humanity can evolve and adapt to the complete and total death of our star, the Sun, which is an event that will take
place eventually beyond question, and migrate into a different star system?
9. Do you think that at the time we will be able to travel conveniently and "cheaply" between different star systems (pretty much like in some
movies or games), humanity will have a different "consciousness" of itself? (i.e. like human "races" will be of no interest, etc.)
10. Finally, do you believe that at some point in our future history (and when?), we will need the help of a foreign civilization in ensuring our
I am insisting on being serious, please. If some questions are about things that you believe are simply impossible, don't flame, please rather say
why you think it's impossible (summarize it if it's long, I don't need a complete report
Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.
[edit on 15-10-2008 by SpookyVince]