It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK - Threat Of Large Scale Terror Plot Being Monitored

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Lord West, who advises the Prime Minister on security matters, told the House of Lords: “There is another great plot building up again and we are monitoring this.”

His comments came the day after the House of Lords forced the Government to abandon plans to extend detention without trial for terror suspects to 42 days.

Jacqui Smith, the Home Secretary, dropped the measure from the bill after it was defeated in the upper house but warned critics they were exposing the country to a greater risk.

During a debate on the Counter-terrorism Bill, Lord West repeated the government’s intention to keep the proposals in a separate piece of legislation to be introduced if needed in the face of an emergency.

He told peers: “Some of the measures that we have put into place in the past 15 months have made us safer, but that does not mean that we are safe.

“The threat is huge. It dipped slightly and is now rising again within the context of ’severe’.

“There are large complex plots. We unravelled one, which caused damage to al-Qaeda and the plots faded slightly.

“However, another great plot is building up again, which we are monitoring.

“We have done a great deal to protect ourselves and to look after our water supplies, our resilience, underground trains, our preparedness and communications.

“We have done all the things that we need to do, but the threat is building - the complex plots are building.”

The Daily Telegraph reported two weeks ago that security sources believed terrorist activity was nearing “critical”.

The threat level is at the “severe end of severe” according to sources who say the level of “ambient activity” among terrorist cells has increased in recent months and they are now operating at full stretch.

The source said: “We are not chasing shadows. These are potential threats to security and life. Police and the security network are operating at full capacity.”

The assessment, which has five levels, has only been “critical,” meaning an attack is “imminent,” during last year’s attack on Glasgow airport and the July 2005 London bombings.

Source: www.nationalterroralert.com...

I remember seeing some post with reports of UK police being seen with automatic rifles and thought this might provide some explanation. I was actually surprised that nobody else had posted this and that I had a hard time finding info related to this. I seen them talking about this on Fox News this morning about how the information was leaked.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

My rant on the subject.
Dealing with this latest 'threat' from the 'heard it all before' point of view,so not conflicting with your thread.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Two things.... and this comes from being on the fence.

Obviously and first of all, NOBODY wants to see terrorists succeed, life is precious and these backward bastards who envy us and wish to disrupt us are obviously problems. These murderous fools have no right to be in our country once they start dreaming of their sick ideals.

But, i also don't want to see innocents have their rights infringed by draconian law... I don't want it to become a police state.

So where does this leave us?

It's up to the muslim community in Britain, to root out this plague... They should not keep silent if they know that members of their communtiy are involved in these pseudo-islamic ideologies, for the good of themselves and the good of all things right.

Otherwise, if this becomes a common occurence, i have no doubt that eventually if the British public become aware of the fact that they may be harbouring terrorists, then I do not want to imagine what will happen...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Why even bother attempting to warn people of it? If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, then it doesn't! Warning of these things is only going to cause loss of credibility and fear. But maybe fear is what they want. Maybe they want you to be scared.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Two things.... and this comes from being on the fence.

Obviously and first of all, NOBODY wants to see terrorists succeed, life is precious and these backward bastards who envy us and wish to disrupt us are obviously problems. These murderous fools have no right to be in our country once they start dreaming of their sick ideals.

But, i also don't want to see innocents have their rights infringed by draconian law... I don't want it to become a police state.

That sums up my thoughts too. I also believe that there IS a threat. But that doesn't mean it has to lead to police state laws in place. Just fight the extremists, don't warn people about it, and don't screw with the laws.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Am I the only person who spots the irony here?

24 hours after the government looses the vote on 42 days detention for terrorist, one of its ministers makes a "they're coming to get you" statement

[edit on 15-10-2008 by infinite]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Techsnow
Why even bother attempting to warn people of it? If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, then it doesn't! Warning of these things is only going to cause loss of credibility and fear. But maybe fear is what they want. Maybe they want you to be scared.

I agree with your point of view much like the thread Agent_T created (that I wasn't aware of).

But it is my understanding that information was "leaked" out. Am I wrong?

I also think that these terrorist are a bit smarter than some give credit to. Because they put out these warnings and nothing either happens or we just never learn of the plots that was prevented, that it plays to the advantages of the terror groups. They don't have to bomb anything if they can achieve fear without being successful.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Am I the only person who spots the irony here?

24 hours after the government looses the vote on 42 days detention for terrorist, one of its ministers make a "they're coming to get you" statement

Your not alone dude, it's a farce the powers behind the powers that be are determined to get 42 days passed by hook or by crook. If that means lying about a high alert terrorist threat then so be it.
The worrying thing is how far people like West are willing to go in order to convince us we need the 42 day law.

To this day I don't believe the london bus boming had anything to do with terrorists, or rather foreign terrorists that don't wear suits and manipulate MPs.

This 42 day detention is but the UK version of the Patriot Act, why Brits can't see the paralells between what's going on in the UK and whats going on in the US is beyond me.

If this law is allowed coupled with monitoring our phone calls emails, and allegations of designs on controling the web, facism will come out of it's hiding place once and for all.

It's so sad to think that so many people in the UK spend the best part of their thinking time, glued to omnibus editions of eastenders or shoving as much alchol or drugs as they possibly can down their necks.

Seems like the old adage (probably biblical ironically) "Where there is no vision the people perish" is becoming a reality.

new topics

join