It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When November (4th) ends.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Its not long now. Normally I don't wish my life away but this year I'll be glad to reach a certain date.

In the 38 years I've been alive, there have only been 7 Presidents - the next one will be the 8th, and since I can remember taking an active interest in world politics in the mid 80's I can honestly say I've never seen an election so bitter and so twisted by both sides.

I can also say I've never seen the type of people crawl out of the woodwork that I've seen during this campaign. Its like all reason and the ability to actually think has been lost into a gaping chasm of raucous nonsense, where people make the most ridiculous of claims based on hearsay, lies and untruths - most of which are either sourced from or backed by major media outlets.

Both sides are as guilty as each other, both come out with complete nonsense and - to me anyway (note the disclaimer around my post please) the US - and its political system - needs to take a damn long hard and good look at itself and come up with a better way to conduct business than this. Its not a case of being ashamed of America, its more a case of being ashamed for America, because what I'm seeing from a distance is radical polarisation, and thats a cancer that isn't easy to cure. Its heartbreaking that the USA has got to that stage, and it doesn't bode well for the future.

The US electorate has - during this election - been played by the system, for the system, 24/7 live on TV, in front of the world.

To paraphrase a lyric - wake me up when the 4th November ends.....

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

IMHO, the blame is not only with the system but also the American citizens. We are the ones who put them in office in the first place. Too many people I know do not even know who their congressman is much less who is running against them this election. Information is either not available, or not easily available. We as an American public have the right to excercise our voting power for or against any candidate. But I think we get tied up in the fact we may actually have to request off work early to make it to the voting booth or that it is just too hard to keep up with things and so wedon't vote.

I have a possible solution which I have conveniently submitted to Google under the Google 10^100 contest which I hope gets picked. At least, IMHO my idea would help put some necessary information at our fingertips. If they don't go for it, I still want to pursue my idea because I believe it would help America to become more involved with the right (non-biased) information.

I personally wish Ron Paul did not drop out of the race, but it appeared and felt like the media snuffed him out of the race through non-coverage.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
People made up their minds a long time ago which person they were going to vote for. Most of the time it has little to do with substance and more about popularity or appearance, and people will defend their decision out of pride. That is the world we live in. I don't feel ashamed for America, I feel sad for America. This race is only going to get more ugly. Long gone are the days of respect for your opponent. Now people are being made fun of, ostrasized, and even physically assaulted because of a difference of opinion, and yes the MSM fuels it. They fuel it by not reporting on substance instead of controversy, by not being neutral, and by snuffing out the other people who are running for office.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Stared and flaged.What you need to understand is why this is going on.there is only one major party,the corporate party.It has two branchs the democrats and the republicians.They have to keep the people from seeing this fact to retain power.So when 2012 arrives you can expect even more polerization.
Do the people in this country really believe the corporations really care who gets elected as long as it's a dem or repub?The federal reserve bank owns the corporations,the corporations own the media and the politicians.If they can keep the people fighting over left and right,repub and dem,They don't see corporate control,simple as that.Try to make a dem or repub see that and I wish you luck.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Excellent post Neformore. I too, have been disgusted by both "sides" since the inception of this race. We who either live in the U.S. or are closely tied to it are caught up in a world of spin, where rhetoric and counting coup are more influential than a declaration of intent.

And yes, as the previous poster said so aptly, the voters are to blame as well...... we, the constituents of the Jerry Springer System of processing information. I truly think sometimes that a good amount of people would be more pleased with a cage match between Senator Obama and Senator McCain than a debate. I'm almost to that point myself, as the debates seem woefully lacking in any real content. I want a leader who decides things on his or her own, and sticks to that view, states their views, even if they are perceived as unpopular. That is a person that I can work with, because they are a thinker, an analyst, and an honest person. People are angry, and they have a right to be, in my very humble opinion. I think that anger is translated to an attempt to sift through the contenders' comments and find something that resonates with their own view.

I wonder........ oh, how I wonder...... how many voters in the U.S. election have taken the time to read the contents of each Senators' websites. I also wonder who will be the spoiler this year, and spoiler for which party. It's all a bunch of hyperbole.

I am taking an ATS break now, as I am taping and finishing Celotex foamboard panels in my house. In the background is the History Channel, which is doing yet another Nostradamus feature. During the last commercial break there was a political message from one of the candidates. It was bloated with a twisted and errant spin on his opponent's platform. It was obvious to me, and yet, I think it was probably effective. We the People -- born of this imperfect Nation, do hold these truths to be self-evident, that ALL humans are created equal, and we HEREBY relagate the Beloved commercial to do our thinking for us, and heretofore to accept the bullcrappity spin of our proponent as TRUTH, Justice and the pursuit of Crappiness.

It just turns my stomach. It's ugly, it's furtive, it's deceptive and it's not going to change until we change it. We can begin by reducing the salaries and perks of elected officials. They make WAY too much, garner WAY too many benefits, and "work" WAY too little for it (in general). I want people who live within their means to run the country, and when the job is done, I don't want to pay for them for the rest of their natural lives. If politics wasn't a business, a golden parachute, then we might just stand a chance at having people who really cared about the overall welfare of this good country in office.

Rant! Rant! Rave!! Even Glenn Beck ignores my emails; who could blame him?

Cheers friend

[edit on 15-10-2008 by argentus]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaxium
I personally wish Ron Paul did not drop out of the race, but it appeared and felt like the media snuffed him out of the race through non-coverage.

Given the vileness of the campaign so far, if Ron Paul had still be a part of the race, don't you think he too would have been smeared as a "nut case" for his straight talking and alternative views?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by argentus

It just turns my stomach. It's ugly, it's furtive, it's deceptive and it's not going to change until we change it.

Do you think there's a real will to change it?

Most people seem to be happy wallowing in the mud it seems, so is it a case for education? Does the decline in standards in the race for the highest office in the USA reflect a decline in standards in society as a whole?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Yah, I'm not liking the negative campaigning either. It seems like both candidates have Carl Rove managing their campaign. sigh...

I'm still not convinced that the general elections are going to be held on time this year. I want to believe that it will, but Cheney might have other ideas... (yah, Cheney, have you really thought Bush was running the country the past 8 yrs? I'm not sure Bush has the where-with-all to form a complete rational thought...)

Welcome to the United States of Halliburton...

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I see light at the end of the tunnel
Not long now!

This time next week and it will all be over bar the back biting, recriminations, allegations of voter fraud and massive over-reaction from the losing side.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I also dont even want to talk politics anymore.
It will be what it will be.
The characters are there, you cast your vote and basically decide our fate.

Thats all she wrote.

new topics

top topics

join