It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social networking sites to be snooped on by security services

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Social networking sites to be snooped on by security services

www.telegraph.co.uk

Social networking websites will be snooped on by the security services under new powers which campaigners fear will lead to an expansion of the "Big Brother" state.

Information collected from the sites is likely to be used to build a new super-database at the heart of Government, allowing officials to monitor people's every online move.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
A month ago we hear that ministers are planning a database to store every phone call and email we make and every website we go on. Now this week, we hear that the security services will create a datbase containing information mined from social networking sites. The information contained on these sites is highly personal and should not be collated into one big database. If the Government has access to both of these database they will know everything about us!

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Most of what we do online is already being collected, mined, and use and is being done legally. Legally because most of us click yes on the terms of use a site provide. Democrats and Republicans are buying this microtargetting information to better understand individuals voters. Microtargetting is a big cash bonanza as these companies every tidbit of information on every person possible. Most people are unaware this is even going on.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Shame, all they will find on me is articles about pitbulls, and my dog's Myspace for promotional purposes.
I can't help but wonder if authorities will see my dog's Myspace, and then put me down in the notes as insane.

Well, this is not new, them using social networking sites to see what people are like, and who their friends are...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
This is why I deleted every account I ever had at myspace and facebook.
Sorry not signing up to hand over everything about me and friends to these freaks.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Social networking has gotten to the point where everyone is nearly connected somehow (at least in the USA)

The problem I see is that if the powers that be want you bad enough, they will and can connect you with something sinister. This gives them one more way of proving that connection. Whether or not you know you are connected with someone or something "unlawful" or even "terrorist" like.

Yuck!

[edit on 15-10-2008 by LaoTzu]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
This is why I deleted every account I ever had at myspace and facebook.
Sorry not signing up to hand over everything about me and friends to these freaks.

Which is exactly why I never signed up for any of those to begin with .
I cannot believe that people did not see that this was the main reason why those places were created anyway and all offered for FREE (HAHA Nothing is free there is always a price to be paid for everything isnt there ) ..that was pretty obvious to me at least right off the bat ..I told everyone do not sign up and do not share personal stuff with anyone at places like that (all in one place ) ....At least message boards are like all strung all over the place ..where MySpace and Facebook is all in one spot for everything anyone wants to know about YOU personally ...(Too neat and convenient isnt it ?) there was a reason behind that madness ..rest assured .and now here it is in black and white ...
What is it they say ..If it SOUNDS too GOOD to be TRUE ..then it isnt ...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Actually, the information you put on those websites isn't personal at all. That's a common mistake people make on such web sites: They post all kinds of information that they consider "personal" and believe that only their friends will read them.

I'm all for privacy, and all against Big Brother, but when you publish your information online it's no longer "personal."

Either way, I doubt you have much to worry about. I don't think your government is going to spend millions of dollars establishing a database that contains such useful gems of information such as "Tiffany from algebra class is such a skank! I can't believe she's dating Timmy AND Bobby at the same time!"

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Even if you don't have myspace or facebook, if they wanted to find out all you're information they could really easy. I'm not paranoid of those sites. Really if you look through a lot of myspace, it seems to me that a lot more people are getting political and more informed just by being connected in such a way. So I don't consider them a bad thing.

As to the op. This has been going on for a while, either illegally or legally. It's good to be informed but I think telegraph.co leans a little towards the paranoid side on their articles.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Its fairly common knowledge that these sites are not only used for lawfull purposes. To monitor them might be a necessary move in the future. Some of the info on bombings in the UK was supposedly gleaned from monitoring certain communicae online. I'm not in favor of it but you can't ignore the possibility that they actualy can find badguys this way.

Zindo

new topics

top topics

join